1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AB-Solution - The Ad Blocking Solution

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by thelonelycoder, Feb 15, 2017.

1. thelonelycoder

thelonelycoder Part of the Furniture

Again, f, option 1.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. thelonelycoder

My resources are limited and I concentrate it to what AB-Solution is about. Maybe some day I have the time to look int it.

4. Blind@Spot

[email protected] Occasional Visitor

thanks . so ab-solution next version has web interface, then it may have pie charts too ;) . no need to update google sheet then:)

thelonelycoder likes this.
  5. glehel

glehel Occasional Visitor

slc 13217 # of dropped HTTPS requests (client disconnect without sending any request)
    slu 13662 # of dropped HTTPS request (unknown error)
    what can cause this many unknown requests error?

6. MatrixGeeker

MatrixGeeker Occasional Visitor

So i cant log into the facebook via the app. it says something like no internet connection (blocking).

I viewed ab log files and it this is what it says

b-graph.facebook.com from 192.168.2.xxx

Feb 13 12:43:49 dnsmasq[xxxx]: /tmp/mnt/AB_Solution/adblocking/blocking_file
    b-graph.facebook.com is 0.0.0.0

b-api.facebook.com

b-api.facebook.com from

So do I need to whitelist b-graph.facebook.com?

But wouldnt it be whitelisted since I added facebook.com to whitelist?

Update: I got it working somewhat. What I did was add b-graph.facebook
    .com to whitelist. Allows me to login and post. Now when I use the facebook search or marketplace etc it is not working and says "network error". So what im going to do is repeat the process

update: per log it was blocking a few more facebook domains. Added those and it seems to be working fine now

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  7. thelonelycoder

Did you import the pixelserv-tls certificate in your devices?

8. thelonelycoder

@RMerlin I read your announcement. Some users are running my adblocker and other scripts born on this board on routers running certain forks of Asuswrt-Merlin illegally on non-Asus hardware.
    Are they still welcome to post, discuss and mention the router they use here?

9. sentinelvdx

sentinelvdx Senior Member

My case I'm using bf 3, because with bf4 facebook and instagram does not load.

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

10. MatrixGeeker

MatrixGeeker Occasional Visitor

im using 4 and doing what i posted above loads instagram and facebook now!

sentinelvdx likes this.
  11. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Any post mentionning running one of the illegal forks will be deleted.

I'm sorry, but things have been starting to escalate pretty badly recently. That's all I can say for now. Just trying to protect all of us here...

12. Goobi

Goobi Regular Contributor

Quick question. Currently drops are being recorded to the syslog. I use AB and Skynet. Log is overrun with theses drops. My question is would disabling logged packets prevent ab/skynet from collecting their stats or are they mutually exclusive?

13. skeal

skeal Very Senior Member

Skynet should be removing those what happens after a reboot? You could try a restart from the GUI.

14. thelonelycoder

AB does not log exessively to the syslog. And those that can be found there only have informational character and are not used for any stats at all in AB.

15. Blind@Spot

[email protected] Occasional Visitor

What can i learn from Pixelserv stats? everything is greek to me :p

16. Adamm

Adamm Very Senior Member

Unfortunately due to iptables limitations the only way for Skynet to collect stats in its “debug” mode is for them to be printed to the syslog directly. If there was another alternative I’d be all over it. These logs are purged hourly into Skynet’s personal log file.

There is the possibility of modifying the syslog.conf file, not entirely sure if that’s possible on these devices much like other config files. Will look into it once my internet is restored.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  17. Butterfly Bones

Butterfly Bones Senior Member

18. Goobi

Goobi Regular Contributor

Got ya, totally understand. I was hoping to keep the syslog a bit cleaner to be able to note other messages of interest. If you do find out if the modification of the syslog is feasible let me know. Thanks for the reply!

19. Aswoosh

Aswoosh New Around Here

Thank you so much for this, @MatrixGeeker. Would you mind posting a complete list of the Facebook domains you needed to whitelist in order to get everything working?

@thelonelycoder, would you consider adding this info to the FAQ or other relevant location on your website?

I really like having AB-solution on my Asus RT-AC86U, but I had basically given up on using any level higher than medium because of this: quite a few childrens and adult mobile games use the Facebook API in order to save the state of the game (or restore the state of the game in case of loss, theft or erasure of the mobile device), and every level higher than Medium blocks this ability. I have no love of Facebook, but I'm not sure why the domain(s) that allow this service are blocked by default at levels higher than medium.

Again, many thanks for the info, and to thelonelycoder for a great useful program.

20. M@rco

[email protected] Senior Member

I think that depends on what client on what OS you are using, or whether you're using a browser on a desktop, as Facebook uses different domains for different platforms. And I've noticed over time that they don't mind switching or adding domains, so I personally think it's not up to @thelonelycoder to maintain such a list. He's probably surely got better things to do. As soon as my wife starts complaining about 'social' limitations, I know Facebook has probably changed something again, sigh...

The process of following the logfile (option f in the main menu) and whitelisting (or blacklisting, both option el in the main menu) are both explained in detail at the website (and on several occasions in this thread). If you enable AB-Solution (a script that has the possibility to block part of your internet traffic) and you suddenly find that an (internet dependent) app has stopped working or has limited functionality, following the logfile using option f is the first thing to look at. It's really that simple.

And yes, you might have to repeat those steps in order to get everything back to work, depending on which blocking file you're using. It helps to have a quiet network and to know which IP is assigned to the device (phone, tablet, pc etcetera) you're using the app or browser on, so it's easier to distinguish which device has tried to connect to a blocked domain. Once you've whitelisted all the required domains, you're all set and done. Until Facebook throws in a couple of new domains, that's when you get back to the f option in the main menu...

21. thelonelycoder

I usually run a smaller blocking file on my primary router as it blocks enough for my LAN, along with a well curated white and blacklist.

For Novice users of AB-Solution I would think that they start with a small blocking file and then work their way up if the result is not satisfying enough.
    You'd have to learn the white and blacklisting as you go and figure out how to use f option 1.
    As with any new software one uses, there is a learning curve to get to know it. AB-Solution is no exception.

As for the blocked Facebook and other popular social media domains, this might be the reason why some are blocked.
    See Steven Blacks comment at bottom. His and the adblock.mahakala.is hosts file in blocking file AdsBeGone! (4) adds these.
    https://gist.github.com/thomasbilk/1506210/2d20f47bbcca75b2f78d6909c1637501000d846f
    Now don't go and whitelist these blindly. Make an educated guess first!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!