What's new

AC3000 (CT8) router ports not functioning

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

archercj

New Around Here
I have a Asus AC3000 (CT8) router connected to a Virgin Hub 4 (modem mode). Two of the routers ports are linked to fixed PC's and the third a hub. It has been working brilliantly since September.

But on Saturday I noticed the wired PC's and devices on the hub could not be pinged and nor could they access anything including the internet. But all my devices connected via wi-fi were not affected at all.

Anyway I tried:

- full factory reset on routers = no joy

- switched off mesh system and put Hub4 back into router mode = all works ok

- rang Asus - they sent me a two new routers. Set it up = still same problem with ethernet connected devices

Swore a bit and a bit more

- factory reset of Hub 4 = no joy.

Anyone any clues.,

Ive reverted back to the Hub 4 for the time being

Given that it all works ok in Hub4 router mode I can discount wiring etc. The Asus router log files are showing a dnsmasq[5622]: failed to send packet: Resource temporarily unavailable error quite a lot.

Like I say nothing has changed in the config on either the Hub4 or the Asus router in the last 3 months. The Asus hasnt had a firmware update either recently. It's on the Aug update.

One weird thing is if I ping say 8.8.8.8 I get an unresolved (or similar) error. But I noticed if I made changes to the configuration in the router and it restarts you get a few ping resolves ok then it fails again.

I have a Asus AC3000 (CT8) router connected to a Virgin Hub 4 (modem mode). Two of the routers ports are linked to fixed PC's and the third a hub. It has been working brilliantly since September.

But on Saturday I noticed the wired PC's and devices on the hub could not be pinged and nor could they access anything including the internet. But all my devices connected via wi-fi were not affected at all.

Anyway I tried:

- full factory reset on routers = no joy

- switched off mesh system and put Hub4 back into router mode = all works ok

- rang Asus - they sent me a two new routers. Set it up = still same problem with ethernet connected devices

Swore a bit and a bit more

- factory reset of Hub 4 = no joy.

Anyone any clues.,

Ive reverted back to the Hub 4 for the time being

Given that it all works ok in Hub4 router mode I can discount wiring etc. The Asus router log files are showing a dnsmasq[5622]: failed to send packet: Resource temporarily unavailable error quite a lot.

Like I say nothing has changed in the config on either the Hub4 or the Asus router in the last 3 months. The Asus hasnt had a firmware update either recently. It's on the Aug update.

One weird thing is if I ping say 8.8.8.8 I get an unresolved (or similar) error. But I noticed if I made changes to the configuration in the router and it restarts you get a few ping resolves ok then it fails again.

Have you tested with just one wired client connected and swapped out both its cable and the Asus WAN cable? Virgin WAN cable?

OE

Have you tested with just one wired client connected and swapped out both its cable and the Asus WAN cable? Virgin WAN cable?

OE

Yes I have swapped out cables but I have also ruled out the cables because if I plug them all back into the Virgin Hub4 everything works ok.
And I also tried just having one PV hard wired.

Yes I have swapped out cables but I have also ruled out the cables because if I plug them all back into the Virgin Hub4 everything works ok.
And I also tried just having one PV hard wired.

I hear you. I would not be quick to rule things out, especially with something mysterious happening. My point was to simplify... no unnecessary connections. The replacement Asus equipment tends to shift focus to your wired clients, your cabling, and the Virgin Hub. So, I'm thinking... simplify all of that and test/swap to see if you can uncover a clue.

Also, try a reset Asus router with a bare configuration.

WiFi works, LAN no... cabling, cabling, rogue client adapter, cabling(?).

OE

I hear you. I would not be quick to rule things out, especially with something mysterious happening. My point was to simplify... no unnecessary connections. The replacement Asus equipment tends to shift focus to your wired clients, your cabling, and the Virgin Hub. So, I'm thinking... simplify all of that and test/swap to see if you can uncover a clue.

Also, try a reset Asus router with a bare configuration.

WiFi works, LAN no... cabling, cabling, rogue client adapter, cabling(?).

OE

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate your time and suggections. Yes I am starting to suspect the Virgin Hub (they havent got the best of reputations). But I hoped a factory reset I did might resolve that. Sadly it dibnt.

I also tried a laptop I have with a couple of different cables and connected it directly to the Asus router without anything else connected. You just get the globe icon instead of a network one. The same cables work fine with olugged into the Virgin Hub.

The network connection is pretty simple as well. You dont use PPPoE but automatic IP. I was suspecting maybe an update on the Hub firmware had introduced an issue there but I'd not expect the routers wifi to work if that was the case.

I also wondered if there was a duplicate mac or ip address in the hard wired part of the network But by keeping the router in the factory reset state (no fixed ip addresses) should have eliminated that.

OE

OE

You got me thinking about cables as nothing else made much sense

Wasnt directly the cales but it is now resolved!!! Rogue device.

After a night with it switched off I unplugged everything again and slowly reconnected the ethernet cables to the hub. First one is just to a PC. Pinged fine. Second one is to a mini hub with a PC, printer, Tado device and BT Homeplug attached. Fine. Third one is to another mini hub with that has a Denon Amp, a Sony TV, the Virgin TV Box, a music streamer and a Humax satellite box attached. Lost connection and ping wouldnt work!

Unplugged everything from 3rd connection. Still wouldnt work. Made a cup of tea and came back and ping was working.

Connected each device back to hub one at a time.

As soon as the Humax satellite receive was plugged back in the connection was lost. Unplugged it and voila it worked again. Been stable for over 12 hours now.

Doesnt answer why my laptop that was plugged in with nothing else connected didnt work. That must have been a red herring though. Maybe a reflush/renew was needed (when i was at work the ethernet port didint work and I had to do that).

Maybe also a night with it powered off had reset somethin inside the router.

Strange one.

Unplugged everything from 3rd connection. Still wouldnt work. Made a cup of tea and came back and ping was working.

Sometimes 'wait and see' is a key piece to the troubleshooting puzzle. It can clear the mind and/or the electronics.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!