What's new

AC66U has severe lag spikes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

demonsthenes

New Around Here
Hi, I just bought the AC66U. My roommates were gettting severe lag spikes on the 5Ghz channel. I tried changing the channel, channel width, transmit power, disabling UPnP, disabling enhanced interference management, etc. I tried the newest Beta firmware too.

They say that games are unplayable. I contacted Newegg and got a new identical router. However, I'm still getting the same problem.

Is this a known problem, and is there a setting that I've missed that can fix the ping spikes? I'm running ping test on the router using CMD and it randomly gets 100-500 ping lag spikes every 30 seconds.

If I can't fix this I'll have to return it.

This is a known issue with Asus firmware version 3.0.0.4.354.

I downgraded to the next most recent Asus firmware and it seemed to take care of the latency problems, but I had major network connection degradation that resulted in restarting the router once or twice a day.

I'm currently running DD-WRT until the next version of the Asus firmware comes out, then I'll experiment more with it.

Here's a link to the April 15th release of DD-WRT for the ac66u:

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSl...r21286/asus-rt-ac66u/dd-wrt-Asus_RT-AC66U.trx

This is a known issue with Asus firmware version 3.0.0.4.354.

I downgraded to the next most recent Asus firmware and it seemed to take care of the latency problems, but I had major network connection degradation that resulted in restarting the router once or twice a day.

I'm currently running DD-WRT until the next version of the Asus firmware comes out, then I'll experiment more with it.

Here's a link to the April 15th release of DD-WRT for the ac66u:

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSl...r21286/asus-rt-ac66u/dd-wrt-Asus_RT-AC66U.trx

I was using the non-BETA firmware. Now my roommate is getting dropped connection a lot. It could be that his wireless adapter sucks but he didn't have this problem with my old router. So I'm just going to return this and wait for the next generation to come out. Hopefully my current router doesn't die before then.

I don't want to have to use DDWRT. Part of the reason I bought this router was because of all the features from the firmware.

Why not try Merlins firmware then ?

I was using the non-BETA firmware. Now my roommate is getting dropped connection a lot. It could be that his wireless adapter sucks but he didn't have this problem with my old router. So I'm just going to return this and wait for the next generation to come out. Hopefully my current router doesn't die before then.

I don't want to have to use DDWRT. Part of the reason I bought this router was because of all the features from the firmware.

Because the issue is with the Asus firmware. Merlin's modified version of it still has the same issues with lag spikes.

I guess I will wait for the next gen router. It's never a great idea to get the first iteration of a draft router anyways. I was also not happy this router didn't have USB 3.0

So I dont want to hijack this thread, but in a few short words can you confirm if the DD-WRT build, in your experience (so far), resolved the random performance of either the 2.4Ghz (in the Asus Beta) or the 5Ghz (in the Asus general). Preferably fixing both.

As I say I can glean the general feedback from the dd-wrt thread, but I was curious on your findings as you actually had the problem we are discussing.

Did you disable Download Master? The only thing I've seen cause any lag or slowdown on my RT-AC66U was Download Master. I disabled DM and everything is fantastic again. Using Asus .354 firmware.

Never had a dropped connection here with 10+ devices on the network - wireless and wired. What adapter is your roommate using? That seems the more likely culprit.

Then it is a case for Asus support or Jeremy from Asus on this forum. Asus should be able to confirm the issue and if yhet are working for a solution on it.

Because the issue is with the Asus firmware. Merlin's modified version of it still has the same issues with lag spikes.

The prolem is more in the firmware I believe. If you can not RMA it and get tour money back you should inform Asus about your problem and see if they have it already as a known problem which they will solve in newer firmware release.
I myself have a N66U with TomatoUSB Shibby while I am waiting for the AC66U:s new Broadcom-driver.

I guess I will wait for the next gen router. It's never a great idea to get the first iteration of a draft router anyways. I was also not happy this router didn't have USB 3.0

So for those that are interested, I finally gave up on the Asus f/w and installed DD-WRT this morning. Its sadly missing some of the nice features (AIcloud etc) as you would expect, but both radios seem to be behaving themselves.

I'm going to carry on with some testing, and watch out for the updated Asus Broadcom drivers

UPDATE: Ok so I'm now starting to see the same random performance using DD-WRT too (#facepalm) , so having eliminated the clients (same as previous router), the environment (no new interference), and 4 versions of firmware - I'm starting to wonder if I have a faulty 2.4Ghz radio. I'll log a ticket with Asus and see if there is anything they recommend, or whether its time for RMA for a replacement unit. Very frustrating, because the 5Ghz is always awesome.

Last edited:
So for those that are interested, I finally gave up on the Asus f/w and installed DD-WRT this morning. Its sadly missing some of the nice features (AIcloud etc) as you would expect, but both radios seem to be behaving themselves.

I'm going to carry on with some testing, and watch out for the updated Asus Broadcom drivers

UPDATE: Ok so I'm now starting to see the same random performance using DD-WRT too (#facepalm) , so having eliminated the clients (same as previous router), the environment (no new interference), and 4 versions of firmware - I'm starting to wonder if I have a faulty 2.4Ghz radio. I'll log a ticket with Asus and see if there is anything they recommend, or whether its time for RMA for a replacement unit. Very frustrating, because the 5Ghz is always awesome.

try to change the channel of 2.4ghz Frequency.
I was having full signal strength but with lower transfer rate and changing channel from 11 to 5 solved my problem.

Yep - we tried all the different channels and settings with the Asus tech support team, and nothing seemed to solve the issue (they even had me run the radio at full 200mw power).
At one point I switched off the 2.4Ghz radio and connected an airport express to the LAN port of the RT-AC66U , which served all the clients withouth any issues so it definitely seems to be pointing to the radio (if it was firmware, I would expect a lot more people to be seeing the same issue).

They've suggested I request an RMA (I'm over my 14 days return period at BestBuy) so I guess we'll take it from there. I'll update the thread as we go along..

good news everyone

UPDATE: So as I was about to box up the router for RMA, I installed my old Apple Time Capsule and within 10 mins, the logging on that showed up 2 devices with corrupted embedded wifi configs (dropcam device). Basically 'stamping on' the radio with unnecessary negotiations and god knows what else.

The Time Capsule pointed me at a lower layer protocol issue I can't see in the 66U log, so after I took those devices off the network - I'm back running at full speed again.

I've opened up another thread to figure out how to get logging to the same level http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=11298

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!