What's new

AC68U AiMesh Wired Still Dropping Nodes on Wireless Signal Strength (Solved)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KaziQ

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I now realize that the AiMesh problems are because of the weak signal strength between the AiMesh host and the node. I have one host and a node. Even though they are wired, and the admin panel reports as the connection is wired, the node is being dropped and re-added depending on the wireless strength.

I think this issue was somehow missed in the node retaining function. Could you guys fix this? Not check the wireless strength between nodes, just the clients? So the end result should be regardless of the roaming assistant value it shouldn't matter for nodes' connection to the AiMesh host. They are just treated as a regular client in the roaming assistant check. Very simple fix and I can see how it's very easy to miss.

Thank you
KaziQ

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. By AiMesh host you're referring to AiMesh router? And your node is being dropped of Aimesh?
Do you have any logs pointing in this direction? I'm >1y into an Aimesh solution and I never had my node dropped of AiMesh because of wireless signal. Although the router can see the node over wireless, they are using a wired backhaul and I had no problems with it.

I also have two ASUS RT-AC3100 in my Ai-Mesh. One is primary router and the other is a node which is hard-wired.

Just as @KasiQ stated my node is hardwired. The admin panels were configured to be wired not auto.

My clients connected wirelessly to the node drop connection to the external Internet multiple times per day.

I have 2 nodes connected to main router with no wifi drops (all RTAC68U).

Thanks, @Kingp1n, that is really encouraging. I’m running latest available firmware for RT-AC3100, which is Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.384_32799

Today as a test I relocated the node to another room, still on Ethernet but it is now also within WiFi range of the main router. I also added the WiFi NestCams to roaming block list since they were frequently disconnecting too.

Might you happen to know specific log entries to look for to confirm whether the Ai-Mesh node is being disconnected, or anything more useful than that?

Thanks in Advance,
herb

Last edited:
Make sure the node's Connection Priority is set to "Ethernet" (not "Auto"). Don't just go by the fact that Connection Type says "Wired".

Thanks for the clarity. I have it configured as you describe. The node's Connection Priority is set to "Ethernet" (not "Auto").

In the new location, performance throughout has been abysmal. I confirmed the Ethernet wiring was connected (because I suspected maybe I was truly using WiFi backhaul). It was and is connected, the same as in first location. Both rooms are plugged into the same main gigabit switch feeding the house.

I did a factory-reset on the Node today (while operating, held the red reset button in back for ~10sec until the power light went off.) after it came back up, I removed the node. It said it would do a factory rest when removed from AiMesh but I didn’t observe the lights doing the same as when I manually did one prior.

Then I added it again as a node to AiMesh. Now all seems well and throughout is as expected. Time will tell if clients drop connections.

One question about Wireless > Roaming Block List: does adding a client to this list (max of 3) keep the client pinned to router only or pinned to the better (stronger signal?) of the Node or the router?

Thanks all!

One question about Wireless > Roaming Block List: does adding a client to this list (max of 3) keep the client pinned to router only or pinned to the better (stronger signal?) of the Node or the router?
I like such questions but never found answers anywhere here, and there are many of such essential questions about how these routers are working in reality.
And nobody will answer or is interested to things that can be set but never ever worked like suggested (whole Wifi settings are competely broken, nobody aware or interested).

Update: no drop of Nest Cams. One is on the roam block list because I expect it to be closest to router WiFi, and assume roam block list means it will not jumpnto the node WiFi. The other two cameras I expect to be connected to the node because it’s the strongest WiFi.

Hi,

I now realize that the AiMesh problems are because of the weak signal strength between the AiMesh host and the node. I have one host and a node. Even though they are wired, and the admin panel reports as the connection is wired, the node is being dropped and re-added depending on the wireless strength.

I think this issue was somehow missed in the node retaining function. Could you guys fix this? Not check the wireless strength between nodes, just the clients? So the end result should be regardless of the roaming assistant value it shouldn't matter for nodes' connection to the AiMesh host. They are just treated as a regular client in the roaming assistant check. Very simple fix and I can see how it's very easy to miss.

Thank you
KaziQ
I can confirm that I see this too... I have roaming turned off because of this (my nodes are further away from my router than most clients are from the nodes, meaning I can't find a sensible rssi to move the nodes to the best routers whilst not dropping the nodes too - which are hard wired anyway)

I just turned OFF Roaming Assistant on my 5GHz, and confirmed it was off for 2.4GHz.

UPDATE: wireless NestCam on 5GHz (set on the roaming block list, and closest to router) disconnected Sunday, 12/2 about 2pm. This morning, Monday, 12/3, another NestCam disconnected (this is the farthest from router but close to node) 3 times at 05:33, 07:17, and 09:14. This last time at 09:14 is when I disabled the Roaming Assistant.

If I'm reading the logs correctly, despite the Wireless>Professional settings for 5GHz Roaming Assistant being DISABLED, the system logs show the client on the node disconnecting.
Dec 3 09:09:36 roamast: discover candidate node [70:**:**:**:**:48](rssi: -58dbm) for weak signal strength client [74:**:**:**:**:7D](rssi: -65dbm)
Dec 3 09:09:36 roamast: roaming reject!!! candidate rssi over threshold(-50dbm)
AC3100 system log Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 13.59.28.png

Also, the AiMesh Node Connection Priority configuration being set to "Ethernet" (not "Auto").

AC3100 node config Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 13.57.18.png

Thank you for keeping this thread active. I want to do more in depth tests with the new released firmware (today) and then report here again. I have also found out that not all the settings are being pushed to the nodes like disabling 5GHz or adjusting the antenna power.

Antenna power wont make lot of sense to take it from parent router to nodes.
Either e.g. 86U cant be changed anymore like 68U.
So at least this little power issue makes sense to me to be set automatically by router and nodes.
Only they will know how strong or weak their signals are and set manually can only be worse, but only if they adjust it correct what will be the next open question hard to test for us.

I would agree with you but I can't access a nodes page AFAIK. The only way to change the antenna power of the nodes or other settings is via ssh connection and my first guess would be NVRAM. Wherever the settings are, it's a bit of a hassle (bit part can be taken out there) :).

If I'm reading the logs correctly, despite the Wireless>Professional settings for 5GHz Roaming Assistant being DISABLED, the system logs show the client on the node disconnecting.
Dec 3 09:09:36 roamast: discover candidate node [70:**:**:**:**:48](rssi: -58dbm) for weak signal strength client [74:**:**:**:**:7D](rssi: -65dbm)
Dec 3 09:09:36 roamast: roaming reject!!! candidate rssi over threshold(-50dbm)
View attachment 15354

Also, the AiMesh Node Connection Priority configuration being set to "Ethernet" (not "Auto").

View attachment 15355

take a look red port as I remarked. its mean roaming event has been rejected, the client will not be disconnected.

The node is definitely picking up the wired connection and seems to stay that way (even if priority is set to Auto, opposed to set to Wired priority). I still cannot decipher if system log or wireless log even capture the state of node connection (wired/wireless) to main router.

With that in mind, does Wireless log even show anything from the AiMesh node? While the wireless log does present 2.5GHz and 5GHz, it appears this might only be for the router and not the node. For example, I obtained a MAC address (from the Network Map>Clients>Wireless>5GHz) for a device known to be on 5GHz and connected to the node, not router, (viewable from the Network Map>AiMesh Node>click on the node). This MAC address for a device I believe to be connected to the node does not appear in the Wireless log shows in ASUS WRT (System Log>Wireless Log.)

The device drops off the (wireless) network periodically (daily or 2x daily), as do other devices on the node, so that is why I supposed the node to router connection (Wired vs. Wireless) might have been an issue or one to identify and rule out. But another possibility is the the Node to device signal strength is a problem. They are 2 feet from each other in the same room with no wall between. However, the signal strength appears to be 2 bars. The router is on the floor under a dresser with 1 foot+ of airspace and the device is in a window sill (Nest Cam).

So the questions remain:
1) Are there logs or data to capture the signal strength and interference of a device connected to the AiMesh Node?

2) And, are there logs or data to capture whether an AiMesh Node connected to the router wired ever loses connection, or even flips to wireless?

3) And are there logs or data to capture whether the AiMesh Node signal strength and interference to the router for a wireless backhaul connection?

Thanks for creating this thread.

I also have the same setup, and have disconnects on the 3100 node often. So much so I have unplugged the 3100 for about 3 months now.

How is your setup working? Is it more stable now or are you still having issues?

Thanks again!