What's new

Ac68u and using it for transparent caching with squid

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seckin

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading for the last 5 hours. I would like to cache everything I can, on a usb disc attached to my ac68u for improving the speed and saving bandwidth as I don't have much of it. I have installed squid via opt ware, but I was unable to find a reliable source to configure the .conf file. The sources I ve found are mostly followed by numerous complaints about slowness of the web browsing and and I don't want to mess up a perfectly fine setup by not being able to set squid properly.

I would really appreciate it if you could point me to the right direction for my previously mentioned purposes.

Thank You.

I would really appreciate it if you could point me to the right direction for my previously mentioned purposes.

Thank You.

I moved the squid proxy from the router to another box for better performance and more storage. The configuration isn't hard but for me coming up with the iptables to make it work took some time due to all different articles on this subject.

I am assuming you are running version 2 of squid and you are looking for configuring a transparent proxy. Let here is my config that worked for me when I did run it on the router:

Code:
##############################
# squid.conf
##############################
#
# Port Setting
http_port 3128 transparent
#
# Cache Settings
cache_dir ufs /opt/var/squid/cache 2000 16 256
#cache_mem 32 MB
cache_mem 8 MB
#
# Log Settings
#access_log /opt/var/squid/logs/access.log squid
access_log none
cache_store_log none
cache_log /dev/null
coredump_dir /opt/var/squid/cache
#
# ACL Lists
acl my_network src 192.168.10.0/24
http_access allow my_network
.....all the other default configs in the squid.conf file

There are also other lines in the large conf file that are uncommented that you may want to look at also. I created two partitions on my flash drive one for the actual Optware/Entware apps and their configuration and the second one for just squid's cache.

There are lots of hints and information on the squid wiki also that you may want to review.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/

Last edited:
What speed do you have on internet?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

And what kind of performance problems have you experienced ?, with what router?

Originally I ran it on a N66U and the IO on that router to my USB flash drive IO to the drive was the bottleneck. I moved the squid server to a Windows server I always have running and the cache is now located on a SSD drive.

I will admit in my configuration I reserved 16 gig for the cache which when you think about the size of cached objects that was a lot for a USB drive. Also with limited ram the number of objects in memory was also an issue.

But from a generic point of view if you only have a few users / devices in your household the default disk cache size and the RAM for memory may be fine.

I have been planning to test the IO load of my new AC87R with Squid on the USB3 port with a new 64 GB USB3 flash drive.

The best thing to do is experiment on what behaviors you are looking for in your cache. Preserving bandwidth, speeding up browsing, etc. I am trying to do both. In the long term I don't want to kill my SSD with cache and would like to go back to disposable USB devices. I may split the process and just go with a dedicated USB 3 flash for cache only and leave the optware apps and other stuff on the USB drive plugged into the USB 2 port.

Last edited:
Originally I ran it on a N66U and the IO on that router to my USB flash drive IO to the drive was the bottleneck. I moved the squid server to a Windows server I always have running and the cache is now located on a SSD drive.

I will admit in my configuration I reserved 16 gig for the cache which when you think about the size of cached objects that was a lot for a USB drive. Also with limited ram the number of objects in memory was also an issue.

But from a generic point of view if you only have a few users / devices in your household the default disk cache size and the RAM for memory may be fine. 200 meg.

I have been planning to test the IO load of my new AC87R with Squid on the USB3 port with a new 64 GB USB3 flash drive.

The best thing to do is experiment on what behaviors you are looking for in your cache. Preserving bandwidth, speeding up browsing, etc. I am trying to do both. In the long term I don't want to kill my SSD with cache and would like to go back to disposable USB devices. I may split the process and just go with a dedicated USB 3 flash for cache only and leave the optware apps and other stuff on the USB drive plugged into the USB 2 port.

How do I point the cache directory to my external usb disc ?

Alternatively you could use the new acceleration features in Chrome.

The use of the caching proxy is limited, since most traffic is encrypted. Squid cannot cache that (by default). (Most google services and Facebook run over https).

Alternatively you could use the new acceleration features in Chrome.

The use of the caching proxy is limited, since most traffic is encrypted. Squid cannot cache that (by default). (Most google services and Facebook run over https).

I have 2 servers and 11 other devices connected to the network at all times.
Obviously Chrome features are not the solution to my problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've cleaned up the thread a bit. Please play nice with one another folks.

I also ask "Does anyone have the script for Asus-RT-AC to forward traffic to a squid box ?"
It seems simply impossible.

Hi,
I´m also running Squid in a separate linux box (Qnap TS-459 Pro II) and Merlin 380.57_0 on an ASUS RT-AC87U router.
I´d like to set up Merlin (IP 192.168.1.1) to divert all HTTP traffic to Squid (IP 192.168.1.250) in order to use it as a transparent proxy and cache as much traffic as possible.
I have no knowledge about IP Tables and so. Can any kind soul give me some advice as to how to set this up?
Thanks a lot!
Pablo

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!