What's new

AC86U sometimes powers completely off during reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Was looking through the code.....those of you having problems, do you have any extensions loaded that set up a swap file? (I think having a swap file defined may prevent the problem)
Nothing special, used as AP with only standard settings out of GUI, only download master installed and guest SSIDs (to test each wifi channel).

yes, latest alpha as the base

Just asking as the file size is much different, smaller that the last alpha.
75.3 MB (79,040,512 bytes) vs 75.5 MB (79,171,584 bytes)

Very interesting. FWIW, our systems are powered completely down each evening. then cycled up in order the next day. Currently our RTAC3200 boots up, including establishing 2 concurrent OpenVPN tunnels (different providers) in under 2 minutes, prior to powering on the rest in order.. The only time we've had a condition such as OP described was during a firmware update, which is pretty much expected. With all the escalated hacks (from anywhere) now affecting all users with always on connections, who might be using insecure ports/protocols, etc, powering off once in a while puts a damper on nefarious actor's intentions and doesn't hurt the router. (now recommended by the FBIs:) ) G'day.

Last edited:
I will say the only time I have had this issue is when using the scheduled restart.

Restarting from CLI or the web interface has worked every time for me.

Problem is to debug it you really need a com port connected. As it seems the issue happens after/before syslog shuts down/starts up.

Happens on reboot ‘sometimes’.
Both manual, & scheduled type.

On both factory & Merlin firmware in my experience.
Has been an issue for many months.

I did not test, and honestly haven't had to reboot much at all with the last build I installed. When I have rebooted, I've been home and just pulled the plug. I will make a point to issue the reboot command instead going forward and report back.

Thanks, I'm referring to John's test build back in August though, it will be out of date now but I wondered if anyone provided him with feedback on it.

I don't think the command used will make any difference on Merlin's builds, he's confirmed "reboot" and "service reboot" are the same.

It's not a big deal as I don't need to reboot remotely, more of an annoyance really. Might be that we'll have to wait for Asus to fix it.

Happens on reboot ‘sometimes’.
Both manual, & scheduled type.

On both factory & Merlin firmware in my experience.
Has been an issue for many months.
its still an issue indeed, i did a reboot today with lasted alfa and the same problem still happened and its so random!!!!

Got this as well as a few weird bugs. I'm avoiding reboots when dialed into it anymore.

Reset the router cause I thought that all the USB SMB stuff I was doing meowed things up. Loaded merlin and reset again. the Wireless would not come up, but I could get in wired. Initialized it and the wizard wouldn't take the wifi setup. Finally reset flashed and I could get Things working. The wizard never kept the settings I put in though.

Sorry for the diatribe, but got very frustrating.

Curiouser & curiouser!
Me too as I've also experienced this issue and it has happened with both the GUI reboot button and the command "reboot".

I've not tried the "service reboot" command yet, but if the GUI does this, then technically I have I guess.

Definitely inconvenient when remote.

Any idea what may cause this yet? Apologies if I've missed it somewhere on here.

Hello SNB Forums
I have an RT-AX88U on Firmware Merlin 384.11_2

The reboot feature causes my router to be completely offline, no lights no nothing. This also happens on the Auto Reboot feature since i waked up this morning and the router was offline even if the power button was on.

Before Merlin Firmware i had stock firmware, the reboot feature was working at it should and the issue only exists in the Merlin Firmware.

I did a clean upgrade and factory reset and i had the same result.

Kindest regards.

Hello SNB Forums
I have an RT-AX88U on Firmware Merlin 384.11_2

The reboot feature causes my router to be completely offline, no lights no nothing. This also happens on the Auto Reboot feature since i waked up this morning and the router was offline even if the power button was on.

Before Merlin Firmware i had stock firmware, the reboot feature was working at it should and the issue only exists in the Merlin Firmware.

I did a clean upgrade and factory reset and i had the same result.

Kindest regards.

Your first posting; welcome to the forum.

Are you running any scripts eg Skynet, Diversion, ......? If so can you temporarily disable scripts and try again.

When you reset your router, did you try the reboot when it was in its minimal state (just enough settings added to get it going, no scripts etc)

Same thing if you do a hard reboot?

Anything in syslog?

Your first posting; welcome to the forum.

Are you running any scripts eg Skynet, Diversion, ......? If so can you temporarily disable scripts and try again.

When you reset your router, did you try the reboot when it was in its minimal state (just enough settings added to get it going, no scripts etc)

Same thing if you do a hard reboot?

Anything in syslog?

Hello martinr, thanks for the welcome and the very fast reply =^_^=

No i do not have any scripts at all, in fact the custom scripts are disabled.
The factory reset i did it almost 16-18 hours ago.
The minimal state as soon as i could connect to the router (i have my laptop plugged in with cable) i logged in and tried the reboot with same issue.

About the syslog i dont know how to read it but it only shows stuff after i did the power cycle (turn button off then on again), if it was anything before that i cant see it.

Kindest regards

The minimal state as soon as i could connect to the router (i have my laptop plugged in with cable) i logged in and tried the reboot with same issue.

About the syslog i dont know how to read it but it only shows stuff after i did the power cycle (turn button off then on again), if it was anything before that i cant see it.

Kindest regards
And a hard reboot? Pulling the power cable out (or turning off) and then powering up again? Same thing?

Kindest regards
Did you carry out your reset according to L&LD’s guide?
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

If not, can you have a look through and check that you reset the router in the right way? Because your reboot worked on the stock Asus firmware, I feel somewhat confident that if you reset the router again to L&LD’s guide (to the letter), the problem may well be solved.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!