What's new

Ac87u vs ac3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GTvert90

Regular Contributor
Trying to figure out what my next router will be. Currently have the ac66u was looking at the ac3200 figuring I could put my laptop on 1 5ghz band and phones, tablets, media streamers on the other. But when researching I saw the press release from 2014 saying that the ac87u has 33% more coverage. I know range depends a lot on the environment but was just trying to figure out which way to go. Most of biggest work loads are wired, the other stuff is streaming with the exception of file transfers from my laptop.

Well...I'm thinking that with AC3200 you will have MAX theoretical rate of 1900Mbs whatever you do or how many radios you will have. On Ac87U you will theoretical have a rate of 2350Mbs... this for me means future proof...

With AC3200 you will have in fact 2 1900 routers in one. Ac87u for me is a step forward in technology, even if it currently have some FW bugs (like AC3200 FW too) ...

Last edited:
I bought the AC3200 on day one when it was released, it keeps disconnecting all the time, did the latest firmware update which promised to fix this issue but no luck so I sold that piece of garbage and bought another AC68U, the most stable router I have ever used. Even the AC87U gave me a few disconnections maybe because again I bought it on day one and the firmware wasn't mature yet, but it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth so not upgrading my router for a long time

Wait until the successor of the RT-AC87 comes out if you can wait. The AC3200 doesn't really make sense IMO due to the reasons mentioned above (even though it's surely a fine router, however for somewhat more exotic scenarios). Otherwise just get the AC87 but consider getting a laptop cooler for improved reliability (some people will surely respond that they don't need one and never had any issues without one...but anyway, I'd buy one together with the router, just to be sure)

Is there any info on an 87u successor? There isn't anything wrong with my router.. Just getting that itch. Sucks with how nice Asus routers usually are that the firmware is always so buggy

Is there any info on an 87u successor? There isn't anything wrong with my router.. Just getting that itch. Sucks with how nice Asus routers usually are that the firmware is always so buggy
Not yet, but judging from the usual release cycles, there should be one by the end of the year or early next year. It would surprise me if it won't be better regarding its thermal design and won't contain a chip that keeps cooler in general. Also the 802.11ac implementation should be more mature out of the box with less connectivity issues. But that's only speculation from my side (however, I guess that everybody would be surprised if this won't be the case).

The 87u also has or is capable of mu-mimo and the 3200 isn't?
Exactly, the 87u is MU-MIMO and the 3200 isn't.

All manufacturers (Quantenna, Broadcom, Qualcomm) are coming with 8x8 chipsets this year, so it's safe to assume that Asus will have at least one new device based on such a new chipset. It's already known that there will be a successor to the RT-AC3200, based on Broadcom's 8x8 Xstream, check this forum for a thread discussing it. The GPL code also mentions an RT-AC88U, but I have no idea of any of the details regarding this product.

All manufacturers (Quantenna, Broadcom, Qualcomm) are coming with 8x8 chipsets this year, so it's safe to assume that Asus will have at least one new device based on such a new chipset. It's already known that there will be a successor to the RT-AC3200, based on Broadcom's 8x8 Xstream, check this forum for a thread discussing it. The GPL code also mentions an RT-AC88U, but I have no idea of any of the details regarding this product.
Gotcha. Waiting for tech sucks tho... There's always something better coming. Sometimes as soon as 2-3 months. I'll try to wait till I have a reason to upgrade. My ac66u isn't really causing any problems

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but i have purchased a ac87 a week ago.
My mbp connect speed is appalling, between 350 and. 550 while it starts for a nanosecond with 1300.
I know that this probably apple fault, but does anybody know what an ac3200 does here?
My android stuff connects around 550 to 850 btw.
I can still return it and get an ac3200 of that would fix it.
Also the ac87 seems to have noteii connect issues, mine can not connect to the 5ghz band at all.
Is that fixed as well with an ac3200?

Try latest unoficial FW ... seems that the Samsung issue with 5Ghz is solved...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Try latest unoficial FW ... seems that the Samsung issue with 5Ghz is solved...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Problem is that my battery life is now getting killed on my Galaxy S6!

CC

Problem is that my battery life is now getting killed on my Galaxy S6!

CC
that's a trade-off; it seems that before this, the phone went into sleep (or at least its wi-fi). Now this is not the case anymore, which is also why it keeps staying connected, but this will obviously use up more battery. But it cannot be that bad (the difference in battery consumption). If you just let the phone stay connected to the wi-fi for 12hrs and not use it during that time, how much of the battery will be gone if it was at 100%?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!