What's new

ac88u unexplained weirdness experienced

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ronald francey

Occasional Visitor
newbie here. i recently purchased a new ac88u which has yet to be set up correctly. part of that is my fault as i have it connected to a zoom 5350 cable modem which is still set up as a combo modem/router. even though i have read instructions online on how to set up the 5350 in bridge mode and have tried this unsuccessfully several times, a call to zoom ts responded with a statement that bridge mode does not work on the 5350.

out of the box, the ac88u had both wifi leds lit and the ac88u was reachable from my android smart phone. during one of my trials with the router, i tried smart connect and shortly after that the 5GHz led went out and the unit was no longer reachable on my android smartphone via the asus web utility. it no longer saw the ssid of the router.

after hours and hours of being in contact with asus ts, getting a .tsr file emailed to me and then my finding out how to use rescue and downloading the newest fw, i am connected, kind of, but the 5GHz led is still off and 5GHz was unreachable.

then, due to comments w/i this forum, i turned off mimo and airtime fairness and low and behold, my mobile saw the 2.4 ssid and connected.

i mentioned that i am sort of connected. the wan address is local not translated probably due to conflicts with the 5350 zoom. (i purchases a motorola cable modem, attached it and got proper translation; however, my amazon stick stopped working with this configuration so i went back to the zoom.)

also, the 5Ghz ssid has never been visible on the ssid list. also, a lan connection to my lt shows an earlier version of a 2.4 ssid even though i have done hard resets. ughh!

what can i do to activate the 5GHz?

i just noticed that on the asus utility there is *no* MAC address for the 5GHz.

Last edited:
Probably hardware problem. I’d return it or get an rma.

Until you can force your modem to bridge, try using the Asus in AP mode so you’re not double-NAT’ing.

For the 5Ghz, your Asus region is likely different from where you are (eg. Europe vs North America).

Use https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels as reference and use a channel appropriate for your region.

i just changed to ap mode. ty for the suggestion.

i noticed a few days ago that my region was set to china and so i changed it to usa.
i looked at the wiki channels but don't know how to set them with the asus utility. the current control channel is 0 but the drop down menu only has auto. also the wiki says i must use dfs and tpc and i don;t know how to set that up nor how to select another channel.

the 5GHz led is still off.

Probably hardware problem. I’d return it or get an rma.

ty! i do have an rma and am waiting for the packaging from asus. so, i busily trying all sorts of things and trying to learn about the router now so that i don't screw things up when i get the router or its replacement back.

i'm wondering what caused the 5GHz led to go off and for there to be no mac address for it.

Can you check your region again? I’m wondering if it’s being locked by the firmware to China.

Have you tried flashing the firmware?

Normally I’d suggest opening up the router to look for hardware defects but since you have an RMA on the way you probably DON’T want to void warranty now.

Can you check your region again? I’m wondering if it’s being locked by the firmware to China.

Have you tried flashing the firmware?

Normally I’d suggest opening up the router to look for hardware defects but since you have an RMA on the way you probably DON’T want to void warranty now.[/QUOTE

the region started off as china but i changed it to usa several days ago.

i receive.d 21045 from asus level 2 t/s in an email and uploaded it a few weeks ago. it completed normally.co

interesting to me that when i took your suggestion to set up as an ap, i now have 8 devices connected. still no 5GHz led nor mac address.

it is usa; i flashed the latest f/w 21045.

i also now suddenly have 8 devices attached to the a/p router.

ac88u after restoring to factory defaults and attaching a lan cable to my pc from router lan port, then looking at available ssid list, i see i'm connected w/o internet to a previously set 2.4 ssid that i had created. i would think that should have been erased. ???

That’s weird but at least you got it partially working. Probably a defective radio? :/

ac88u after restoring to factory defaults and attaching a lan cable to my pc from router lan port, then looking at available ssid list, i see i'm connected w/o internet to a previously set 2.4 ssid that i had created. i would think that should have been erased. ???

make factory again, yes SSID must be deleted and reset to default Asus/Asus_5G.
Try the different methods, press WPS while powering on and 15s longer, wait till up, press reset button while powerd for 10s, use initialize from GUI and factory from GUI.
And power off/on after each step, it must be erased!

Otherwise other settings wont be erased too and could make troubles!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!