What's new

AC88U - Update to 384.5 ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chromatic

New Around Here
Heya,

I have an ASUS RT-AC88U using Firmware: 380.63.2

I don't do anything particularly complex with the wrt-merlin firmware so I ask the question... Is it worth updating to 384.5 or not so much?

Ie: Would I notice any improvement in browsing speed, or similar improvements in efficiency or are any functions added that are extremely valuable to a casual user of the firmware?

Thanks,

Heya,

I have an ASUS RT-AC88U using Firmware: 380.63.2

I don't do anything particularly complex with the wrt-merlin firmware so I ask the question... Is it worth updating to 384.5 or not so much?

Ie: Would I notice any improvement in browsing speed, or similar improvements in efficiency or are any functions added that are extremely valuable to a casual user of the firmware?

Thanks,

Rule Number #1: if everything works, don't change anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rule Number #2: newer versions are more secure than old versions. A number of security exploits were fixed since 380.63.2.

Definitely true - newer versions also have bug fixes and sometimes include additional features which may be useful. With all of the router hacks that are known out there it's good to keep current.

Rule Number #1: if everything works, don't change anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrible advise if you care about security at all :rolleyes:

380.63.2 is almost two years old, there have been dozens of critical security fixes since then plus performance improvements.

This is why I ask(ed). I'm into security but I'm more interested in performance improvements -- Can you (or anyone) come up with any notable performance specific changes from the ~2 year old firmware I'm using verse the new stable I'm considering upgrading to?

I glanced through the change logs but there have been so many releases in between it's tough to single those out.

Thanks guys

It used to be you could downgrade but the problem is now (new generation firmware) you can't put it back (not easily) if it doesn't work out for you. Asus is enforcing this decision and will be closing the current loopholes in the future.

This is the first time I am wary of upgrading as there are problems with 384.xx that are hit or miss and I already know I am not lucky with electronics. Some people have zero problems with 384.xx - but from what I have seen in the release thread it's enough people that I have decided to wait on 384.5.x, or 384.6 - or another release (unless a serious zero-day comes out in the future). So really it comes down to Dirty Harry's question to you: o_O

I think you should go to the last and final release of the old generation, 380.70, or John's Fork (has security patches) and then make a decision. 380.70 is rock solid (and if you don't like it can downgrade) but missing patches, and I hope someone would backport security updates one day because I know it will be ripe for hacking soon.

It used to be you could downgrade but the problem is now (new generation firmware) you can't put it back (not easily) if it doesn't work out for you. Asus is enforcing this decision and will be closing the current loopholes in the future.

This is the first time I am wary of upgrading as there are problems with 384.xx that are hit or miss and I already know I am not lucky with electronics. Some people have zero problems with 384.xx - but from what I have seen in the release thread it's enough people that I have decided to wait on 384.5.x, or 384.6 - or another release (unless a serious zero-day comes out in the future). So really it comes down to Dirty Harry's question to you: o_O

I think you should go to the last and final release of the old generation, 380.70, or John's Fork (has security patches) and then make a decision. 380.70 is rock solid (and if you don't like it can downgrade) but missing patches, and I hope someone would backport security updates one day because I know it will be ripe for hacking soon.

Appreciate the reply,.. however I had already upgraded to the latest stable (384.x) as was recommended. I can't tell any improvements lol.. but I don't think I've ever upgraded a firmware for a working router and noticed any real speed increases in any area :)

But , damn, I'm secure lol!