What's new

AC88U (wifi disabled) with XD4 3 pack

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shoman94

Regular Contributor
This is my thoughts.....

My AC88U is working great and if ASUS made a non-wifi router that would be awesome!

What I'd like to do is use my AC88U as a router with WIFI disabled but utilize the XD4 as a mesh system. Can Aimesh be setup from the main XD4 if it is an access point or does it have to be a router for that? in that case I would need to setup AiMesh from my AC88U?

Not familiar with XD4 specifically, but with AiMesh v2.0, you can do what you want by using the Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode option in Administration.

I use my RT-AC86U as my router with my pair of XT8 in AP/Mesh mode. I setup my XT8 units normally in router/mesh with the wan port of the main XT8 connected via cable to a lan port on my AC86U. Once the pair of XT8 were working in a mesh I changed the XT8 to AP mode and let the AC86U handle all router functions. I have a full time dedicated IP vpn connection for routing a Firestick 4K to bypass region blocked sports programming for my wife. This way I get the benefits of Merlin with the mesh performance of the pair of XT8.

Not familiar with XD4 specifically, but with AiMesh v2.0, you can do what you want by using the Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode option in Administration.
So just to make sure I understand you...

Option1:
I can setup XD4 3pack as an Access point and also from the main access point setup AiMesh for the 2 nodes.

Option2:
I can setup AiMesh from my AC88U for all 3 XD4s and just disable WiFi on my router?

This would be interesting to see which method performs better.

No, you can set up an AiMesh system from the 'main' XD4 that connects to the RT-AC88U (which is acting as a wired router) by using the Administration option "Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode". You would use the 'main' XD4 to associate additional AiMesh nodes after fully resetting those nodes and only accessing them via the main AiMesh router's GUI (re: Add AiMesh node).

You cannot set up an AiMesh network and then disable the Wi-Fi on the main AiMesh router. Nothing would work (at least, not wirelessly).

No, you can set up an AiMesh system from the 'main' XD4 that connects to the RT-AC88U (which is acting as a wired router) by using the Administration option "Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode". You would use the 'main' XD4 to associate additional AiMesh nodes after fully resetting those nodes and only accessing them via the main AiMesh router's GUI (re: Add AiMesh node).

You cannot set up an AiMesh network and then disable the Wi-Fi on the main AiMesh router. Nothing would work (at least, not wirelessly).
Ah yeah that's right.... If I disabled wifi on the AC it would also disable WiFi on the attached nodes.... Thank you. Seems like a nice way to upgrade my wifi with a good router for the money.

Just verify that the XD4's are capable of 'Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode'.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!