What's new

Can't block clients from connecting to a mesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gil80

Regular Contributor
Using RT-AX88U and ZenWifi XD4-Pro.

I'm trying to block my doorbell wifi from connecting to the Zenwifi mesh node. Though it is in the roaming block list, it still connects to the mesh node, which is weird because it's also a weaker signal than the router which is physically closer to the doorbell.

This is the roaming block list:
roaming block list.png

You can see that the same device shows as connected to the mesh node (doorbell wifi):
client list.png

Is that a bug? What can I do to stop the client from connecting to the mesh node?

Bind the client to the router. Click on the figure that looks like a sideways 8. Binding will assign the client to a preferred WIFI but if that WIFI goes down the client can connect to another node.

This might happen (I too experienced it) because what appears to humans to be a weaker signal actually provides a better, stable and clean wifi connection to the device.
IMHO, if a device automatically switches to a more far node with a weaker signal, it knows why, so let it choose by itself...;)

I think binding and roaming block only affect what the router & nodes do but the actual devices can jump to other nodes on their own without being prompted by the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!