What's new

Access Point - What Router to Compliment my RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amtbr

Occasional Visitor
I would like to setup an access point by repurposing a router. I have a RT-N66U downstairs and my wifi coverage upstairs is fairly spotty. I want concurrent dual band, as I have some mixed devices. The one issues is that I want to be able to stream content wirelessly to the opposite side of the house to where the access point will be, so I need something that can reach. I also want something that compliments the power of my RT-N66U (I know I could buy another one, but at another $150, its a bit much)

I have an old D-Link 655 sitting around, but I know that is only single band. My questions are:

1) Can I mix and match routers from other brands?
2) Would the Asus RT-56U / 65U be good choices?

My other concern is my access point will be next to my bed, so I know my RT-N66U gets warm and makes warm computer part smells, so my access point/router should not be putting off tons of heat and/or smells.

Thank you for any input in advance.

My other concern is my access point will be next to my bed, so I know my RT-N66U gets warm and makes warm computer part smells, so my access point/router should not be putting off tons of heat and/or smells.

Thank you for any input in advance.

I'd put the WiFi device elsewhere in the room. Blinky LEDs and all.

Ok, Your router should NOT be putting off smells! That is NOT normal and indicates a defective unit. I never had a router smell like that. I did have a netgear that made capacitor whine but never smelled.

BTW how warm is your N66U getting? My Amped routers never even get lukewarm and they are used heavy 24-7. I even run minecraft servers that have on average 8 players on all the time on one server and 6 average on the other in addition to lots of streaming of HD videos 24-7, music streaming and youtube watching..... I NEVER have my router get hot.

Ok, Your router should NOT be putting off smells! That is NOT normal and indicates a defective unit. I never had a router smell like that. I did have a netgear that made capacitor whine but never smelled.

BTW how warm is your N66U getting? My Amped routers never even get lukewarm and they are used heavy 24-7. I even run minecraft servers that have on average 8 players on all the time on one server and 6 average on the other in addition to lots of streaming of HD videos 24-7, music streaming and youtube watching..... I NEVER have my router get hot.

Its a faint smell, I don't know how hot it is, its slightly warm to the touch. So far, I haven't been terribly impressed by the range of my N66U, I am considering selling it and getting two different other routers...

Back to the access point, so I gather if you mix and match routers, the "main" router ie. my N66U will be doing all the software controls (QoS, etc...) and the access point is merely repeating the Wifi signals?

Also, this may sound dumb, but should I be concerned with sticking a wifi router right next to my bed, ie. cancer (and yes, I am aware of asking medical advice on a networking forum is silly).

Last edited:
You'll have one router, and the Access Point (AP) is just that- it's routing functions aren't used; the WAN port isn't used. Functionally it's an AP, re-purposed from a product normally used as a WiFi router.

A WiFi router is a combo - router and AP.

Thank you for all the help so far.

I am leaning towards not having the access point in my bedroom, as it would still be on the opposite side of the house from where I want to stream movies. I am leaning towards a MoCA adapter.

My question is, would it be a good idea to have the 2nd MoCA adapter run into a router / access point. This way I can create an access point on the other side of the house without running CAT 5 and be able to hard wire any streaming devices via the router / access point connected to the MoCA adapter.

Do you guys see any flaws with this plan?

You don't have to worry about cancer if you have it close to your bed. My router is 3 feet away from me on my desk and I'm at my desk more then I spend in time in bed. I do not have cancer.

MoCA supports "up to 175Mbps" It might not be good enough for large file transfers. However it would be good enough if you did not want to run the cat5e cable and you don't do a lot of heavy file transfers.

Homeplug is another option however, the electrical in your house has to be decent to get good speeds. I got crappy electrical and I get an average of 64Mbps or 8Mbytes/sec file transfer speed with my Amped PLA2.

Also, this may sound dumb, but should I be concerned with sticking a wifi router right next to my bed, ie. cancer (and yes, I am aware of asking medical advice on a networking forum is silly).

Yes, this is silly from a networking perspective - if you're really worried about it, put the router in the attic.

The energy dissipated is a log function - 10LogR horizontal - 20LogR in a sphere - if you're worried about off-gassing of the plastics, worry about other things.