What's new

Adaptive Qos issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

macster2075

Very Senior Member
Hi guys..
I been using Adaptive Qos ( fq_codel ) and selected the setting for Games. I set the download and upload about 10% less of my actual speeds. Everything is fine until my wife starts to upload a Youtube video.. as soon as the upload starts, online gaming is extremely unplayable...very, very laggy...not only gaming, browsing becomes bugged down as well.... as soon as the upload stops, gaming and browsing is back to being fine.

I have tried Auto setting as well. The only way Qos works fine is if I select Bandwidth Limiter and manually set limit on her computer to the same, about 10% less of my actual speed.

I thought that Adaptive Qos would take care of that on its own. It seems it does not do a good job on allocating bandwidth correctly for online gaming even though that is what was selected.

Anyone having this issue? or any ideas I can try?

Hi guys..
I been using Adaptive Qos ( fq_codel ) and selected the setting for Games. I set the download and upload about 10% less of my actual speeds. Everything is fine until my wife starts to upload a Youtube video.. as soon as the upload starts, online gaming is extremely unplayable...very, very laggy...not only gaming, browsing becomes bugged down as well.... as soon as the upload stops, gaming and browsing is back to being fine.

I have tried Auto setting as well. The only way Qos works fine is if I select Bandwidth Limiter and manually set limit on her computer to the same, about 10% less of my actual speed.

I thought that Adaptive Qos would take care of that on its own. It seems it does not do a good job on allocating bandwidth correctly for online gaming even though that is what was selected.

This is great and should fix all your problems. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ements-custom-rules-and-inner-workings.36836/

Which router and specific firmware are your running?

Like skeal already mentioned, the FreshJR QOS script is exactly what is called for. :)

Best part? You may only need to install the script and enable it. Any further customizations are optional (but the benefits will still be significant).

Hi guys..

Another vote for @FreshJR 's script! Read first couple post on the 1st page. Much easier to install now thanks to his hard work.

Keep reducing your bandwidth numbers until it stops being a problem. You must ensure the router is the bottleneck for QOS to “kick in.”

It's almost tempting to ask the ISP for a lower tier connection and still be getting close to what you're paying for now. Almost!

Realistically 5mbps per CONCURRENT user is more than sufficient. (Count 15mbps if device is streaming 4K).

Most families would be fine at 30mbps.

I’d prefer 30mbps with QOS compared to 100mbps without. ;)

I hear of plenty friends/family upgrading from 70mbps to 300mbps packages due to lag, when throughput was never the issue.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.. I've been reading the post in the provided link.. .based on what I read, it is also recommended to set Bandwidth Limiter and limit individual clients as it appears not all games play well with Adaptive Qos.. this is the way I ended up setting it and the problem has been solved.. the wife can upload without affecting the rest of us :).

On a separate note, I've noticed the Guest network has an option to limit bandwidth ... I have enabled that, but it seems to only limit the download speed, the upload is not affected at all for clients connected to the guest network....unless I manually limit the bandwidth to that specific client.

Thanks guys.. I've been reading the post in the provided link.. .based on what I read, it is also recommended to set Bandwidth Limiter and limit individual clients as it appears not all games play well with Adaptive Qos.. this is the way I ended up setting it and the problem has been solved.. the wife can upload without affecting the rest of us :).

On a separate note, I've noticed the Guest network has an option to limit bandwidth ... I have enabled that, but it seems to only limit the download speed, the upload is not affected at all for clients connected to the guest network....unless I manually limit the bandwidth to that specific client.

I seem to recall that FreshJR stated to not use bandwidth limiter - it is totally bunged up!

Which games don't play well with Adaptive QoS ?

What bandwidth limiter are you talking about? Settig Device Prority on the bandwidth monitor page will basically kill de-prioritized devices.

It's either AdaptiveQoS or Bandiwidth Limiter. (Script modifications are ONLY in effect when using AdaptiveQoS).

AdaptiveQoS either works for all traffic or doesn't work at all, theres not much of a inbetween. Did you follow the instructions?

Last edited:
Which games don't play well with Adaptive QoS ?

What bandwidth limiter are you talking about? Settig Device Prority on the bandwidth monitor page will basically kill de-prioritized devices.

It's either AdaptiveQoS or Bandiwidth Limiter. (Script modifications are not in effect when using AdaptiveQoS).

AdaptiveQoS either works for all traffic or doesn't work at all, theres not much of a inbetween. Did you follow the instructions?
I am using Bandwidth Limiter.. not Adaptive Qos... I used the Adaptive Qos but was not not working for my liking, so I ended up using Bandwidth Limiter and manually limiting devices.
But, I noticed when enabling the limiter on the Guest account, it only affects the download speed and not the upload speed of the guest devices.

Attachments

• blimiter.PNG
    blimiter.PNG
    32.3 KB · Views: 304