1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Adaptive Qos issue

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by macster2075, Mar 15, 2019.

1. macster2075

macster2075 Regular Contributor

Hi guys..
    I been using Adaptive Qos ( fq_codel ) and selected the setting for Games. I set the download and upload about 10% less of my actual speeds. Everything is fine until my wife starts to upload a Youtube video.. as soon as the upload starts, online gaming is extremely unplayable...very, very laggy...not only gaming, browsing becomes bugged down as well.... as soon as the upload stops, gaming and browsing is back to being fine.

I have tried Auto setting as well. The only way Qos works fine is if I select Bandwidth Limiter and manually set limit on her computer to the same, about 10% less of my actual speed.

I thought that Adaptive Qos would take care of that on its own. It seems it does not do a good job on allocating bandwidth correctly for online gaming even though that is what was selected.

Anyone having this issue? or any ideas I can try?

Vexira likes this.
  2. skeal

skeal Part of the Furniture

This is great and should fix all your problems. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ements-custom-rules-and-inner-workings.36836/

Vexira, Kingp1n and L&LD like this.
  3. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

Which router and specific firmware are your running?

Like skeal already mentioned, the FreshJR QOS script is exactly what is called for. :)

Best part? You may only need to install the script and enable it. Any further customizations are optional (but the benefits will still be significant).

Vexira, QuikSilver and skeal like this.
  4. QuikSilver

QuikSilver Regular Contributor

Another vote for @FreshJR 's script! Read first couple post on the 1st page. Much easier to install now thanks to his hard work.

Vexira and ChatmanR like this.
  5. dave14305

dave14305 Very Senior Member

Keep reducing your bandwidth numbers until it stops being a problem. You must ensure the router is the bottleneck for QOS to “kick in.”

Vexira likes this.
  6. ChatmanR

ChatmanR Occasional Visitor

Let's just say been there and I'm everywhere...
  7. L&LD

It's almost tempting to ask the ISP for a lower tier connection and still be getting close to what you're paying for now. Almost!

8. FreshJR

FreshJR Very Senior Member

Realistically 5mbps per CONCURRENT user is more than sufficient. (Count 15mbps if device is streaming 4K).

Most families would be fine at 30mbps.

I’d prefer 30mbps with QOS compared to 100mbps without. ;)

I hear of plenty friends/family upgrading from 70mbps to 300mbps packages due to lag, when throughput was never the issue.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    QuikSilver, L&LD, Kingp1n and 2 others like this.
  9. macster2075

Thanks guys.. I've been reading the post in the provided link.. .based on what I read, it is also recommended to set Bandwidth Limiter and limit individual clients as it appears not all games play well with Adaptive Qos.. this is the way I ended up setting it and the problem has been solved.. the wife can upload without affecting the rest of us :).

On a separate note, I've noticed the Guest network has an option to limit bandwidth ... I have enabled that, but it seems to only limit the download speed, the upload is not affected at all for clients connected to the guest network....unless I manually limit the bandwidth to that specific client.

10. L&LD

I seem to recall that FreshJR stated to not use bandwidth limiter - it is totally bunged up!

11. FreshJR

FreshJR Very Senior Member

Which games don't play well with Adaptive QoS ?

What bandwidth limiter are you talking about? Settig Device Prority on the bandwidth monitor page will basically kill de-prioritized devices.

It's either AdaptiveQoS or Bandiwidth Limiter. (Script modifications are ONLY in effect when using AdaptiveQoS).

AdaptiveQoS either works for all traffic or doesn't work at all, theres not much of a inbetween. Did you follow the instructions?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    ChatmanR, Vexira and L&LD like this.
  12. macster2075

I am using Bandwidth Limiter.. not Adaptive Qos... I used the Adaptive Qos but was not not working for my liking, so I ended up using Bandwidth Limiter and manually limiting devices.
    But, I noticed when enabling the limiter on the Guest account, it only affects the download speed and not the upload speed of the guest devices.

Attached Files: