What's new

Adguard alternatives?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

axbeet

Occasional Visitor
I am looking for a way to block adult websites and ads at the Router level.

I changed my DNS servers in the router to point to Adguards DNS Family Protection, and was impressed. Ads are being blocked, adult content is being blocked, and search engines are forced into safe search. I liked how easy it was, but Youtube comments are being blocked and that's a show stopper for me. What are my alternatives? Is OpenDNS and Diversion a good option? I have AC56U, and I believe I can flash to Merlin and get Diversion. Other options? Thank you in advance!

NextDNS offers parental controls: https://nextdns.io

You can test it out using the free tier, but will probably need the (affordable) paid plan for serious usage.

(I use NextDNS Pro to block ads/malware, but never tried the parental controls)

Thanks Folks. I might (?) have found an acceptable alternative. I'm just starting to experiment with it.

I downloaded the Merlin firmware for my router. Under AIProtection & Parental Controls, I blocked adult content on all clients. Unlike Adguard Family DNS, I still seem to have Youtube comments.

To get rid of ads, I went under WAN, said "NO' to connect to DNS server automatically and I used Adguard DNS servers 94.140.14.14 and 94.140.15.15. These DNS do not include family filtering.

When I google naughty sights via Google or Bing, I get notice that I'm using safesearch. Please note, that it only took me a few minutes to find ways to get adult content despite these settings, so this will not stop anyone who is determined to find adult content, but perhaps it will reduce inadvertent exposure.

Any suggestions appreciated.

If anyone happens to know of links with typical ways to secure your router when running Merlin, that would be appreciated. I'm just starting to search that up. So far, the defaults seem to be fairly secure based on the little I know.

You could run adguard home or pihole off a £30 raspberry pi, and set a rule to allow you tube, that's essentially what I do. It's fun to set up as well if you're a nerd like me.

I believe they are also setting up a managed dns soon, so you can manage these things without having to run your own server. You can register your interest below.

When I google naughty sights via Google or Bing, I get notice that I'm using safesearch. Please note, that it only took me a few minutes to find ways to get adult content despite these settings, so this will not stop anyone who is determined to find adult content, but perhaps it will reduce inadvertent exposure.
As a parent I went through the headache of finding an acceptable "internet filter", yet quickly found that preteens/teenagers are able to bypass any barrier I placed. Do your best to secure your intranet/internet and talk to your kids regarding what you expect, Good Luck.

talk to your kids regarding what you expect
I think this is the most pertinent. Not that it always works, and my kids aren't teens yet. But they will always find a work around. I know I did, though it was more of the wild west back then. :eek:

Good your daughter was there to help you. Otherwise you'll be still reading about Pi-hole.
She and I are currently building a Magic Mirror.
Located a two-way mirror and frame locally, and she found Magic Mirror
After watching Youtube I've mastered the art of "Copy and Paste"

Last edited:
@Clark Griswald, you're a cool dad!

If I promise to act like a 10-year-old 24/7, will you consider unofficially adopting me? :D

@Clark Griswald, you're a cool dad!

If I promise to act like a 10-year-old 24/7, will you consider unofficially adopting me? :D
Daughter is 8, so that is my limit. I'm just trying to keep up technically with the 3rd grader.

Back on topic-
My teen son sent me a text yesterday asking me to whitelist a site, so the limited "blocking" and the talking seem to have worked, or he was too lazy to bypass.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!