1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

After 384.9 update internet shows disconnected....

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by gilstrac, Feb 20, 2019.

1. gilstrac

gilstrac Occasional Visitor

After updating the internet status show as disconnected but it is not disconnected.

On startup, it will momentarily show the correct information then show the disconnected status.
    Please note, the internet is working correctly. If you click the global, the internet status pane shows the current information for the internet connection.

If you refresh the page, it again momentarily shows the correct information.

The attached files show what I am seeing.

Has anyone seen this?

Attached Files:

2. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Go to the Administration -> System page, and make sure that the WAN monitoring options are enabled.

3. EmeraldDeer

EmeraldDeer Senior Member

1) By default, DNS lookups to Microsoft are used by the router to determine WAN status
    2) You are using Google DNS
    3) You might be in mainland China
    4) Is it possible that something could be interfering with Google DNS?
    5) Alternatively ping can be used for WAN status instead of DNS. Run a traceroute to any site and use the first hop as the WAN status ping destination. Perhaps there is a better IP address you can count on for this.

4. gilstrac

Not sure which setting you are referring too in the adminstration--> System
    I attached the current setting in images

Attached Files:

5. gilstrac

I guess I can c

6. gilstrac

Playing with the settings... I have a vpnclient setup using ipvanish. If I turn off the vpn, it displays connected. It appears to work for a while after turning the vpn back on but then reverts back to disconnected.
    Not sure related but seems very consistent.

7. EmeraldDeer

Administration>System>Basic Config>Network Monitoring
    It appears that you have neither "DNS Query" or "Ping" selected.
    By VPN client I take it you mean at the router level as opposed to the computer level. I have never done this.
    So I would imagine you would go with whatever works in both contexts, your ISP and your VPN provider. I guess Ping to 1.1.1.1 could be most reliable.

8. GHammer

GHammer Regular Contributor

So, it's recommended to >enable< the WAN monitoring?
    I had this happen and >disabled< the options.

9. jsbeddow

jsbeddow Occasional Visitor

I too wish that we could get a definitive answer on this one: I haven't had a problem (yet) with what seems to be the "default" setting of having neither of the WAN monitoring checkboxes ticked/enabled (admittedly, this is on a "dirty" upgrade from 384.8_2). However, I'm not sure what good would be gained from having one or the other checked/enabled, especially given the fact that I have yet to see a problem in at least two weeks of uptime since upgrading to 384.9: my internet status always shows as "connected". Under what circumstances what having the monitoring turned on benefit me?

QuikSilver likes this.
  10. EmeraldDeer

I find it aids in troubleshooting to know whether my router can ping the first hop router at my ISP.

consorts and QuikSilver like this.
  11. gilstrac

It has something to do with the openvpn client on the router. When it is running you see the above-mentioned issue. I also observed other clients having intermittent to no internet access.
    I rolled back to the prior version of firmware to stop all the trouble tickets from my family.
    The prior version is working fine.
    Any one else seeing this?

12. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Senior Member

Yes, I moved back to 384.8

13. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Guys, just configure the WAN monitoring on the Administration page. If you have it set for DNS monitoring and your use a VPN forcing all traffic through it AND that VPN rejects any DNS server other than their own, then the DNS-based monitoring will fail. Either switch to Ping monitoring, or exclude your router's IP from the VPN.

L&LD likes this.
  14. h0me5k1n

h0me5k1n New Around Here

I believe I had the same issue and it was related to the IP address ranges used by the vpn clients and vpn server.

I run a server and a client and found they were both using the same address range... 10.8.0.0 I think!?!? I changed the vpn server subnet to 10.9.0.0.

To those affected... Do you run vpn server/s or just clients?

15. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Senior Member

I don’t use a VPN

16. Wadadli

Wadadli Occasional Visitor

Any idea of what the frequency of these pings are ? I don't want my ISP getting po'd at me for constantly pinging their gateway.

HuskyHerder likes this.
  17. GHammer

GHammer Regular Contributor

I do not use a VPN and I had this the other day for the first time. In order for the status to be normal, I had to disable both settings. Enabling either or both resulted in disconnected status.

18. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

A few seconds I believe, something like every 15 secs.

19. crc32

crc32 New Around Here

I was having this issue too. Fixed it by setting "Internet Detection" to "DNS Probe" on the WAN Settings page.

20. rdallen

rdallen Occasional Visitor

I too experienced this issue, however I think it is a bigger problem with the OpenVPN. I run several OpenVPN clients. One wouldn't work at all with 384.9.
    Others usually would work. Sometimes would cause other issues though - for example when I was trying to fix the disconnected message, I lost connectivity on a PC that wasn't part of the VPN policy at all when I reconnected to the VPN.

When the VPN was off, the disconnected status wouldn't appear.

Setting Network Monitoring made no difference.

I rolled back to 384.8_2, all is working correctly again. Will stay on this until the next release: if it still happens, I'll reset the router and re-enter all the settings again.