What's new

AI Mesh RT-AX86U with Zenwifi AX6600

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Djsolzs

New Around Here
Looking for some set up help - my main router is an RT- AX86U and I am looking to add additional to expand my wireless capabilities. I thinking to use 2 AX6600 as nodes with my main router but am not sure this is the best set up. Would you use the AX86 as a node and configure the XT8 as the main setup? Thanks

Looking for some set up help - my main router is an RT- AX86U and I am looking to add additional to expand my wireless capabilities. I thinking to use 2 AX6600 as nodes with my main router but am not sure this is the best set up. Would you use the AX86 as a node and configure the XT8 as the main setup? Thanks

Within AiMesh, the best setup is wired dual-band nodes, say 40-80 feet apart depending on building construction/materials.

OE

Thanks - I wont be able to do wired across nodes. Is the Zenwifi AX6600 overkill?

I'd say more of a mismatch... those ZEN units are intended to be setup together with their 5-2 band dedicated to wireless backhaul between the two units... and not shared with client traffic. When you introduce the dual-band router (I believe the AX86U is the stronger main router hardware), its 5.0 band configuration will align with one of the 5.0 bands on the XT8 (ideally the 5-2 4-stream band) for a shared wireless backhaul... shared with client traffic. And what about the other extra 5.0 band on the XT8?... how does it get used? I'm not sure since I have not used that equipment... but it feels like a mismatch depending on what AiMesh/the firmware allows. I don't have any experience with how AiMesh will setup the wireless backhaul, given one 5.0 band on the router and two 5.0 bands (5-1 low and 5-2 high) on the node(s). Someone with similar equipment will need to reply.

What is the sq ft footprint of the area of coverage and the type of building construction/materials? My two nodes cover a very large area.

OE

Last edited:
I have the same AImesh gear in operation, an AX86U as root for 2 XT8 nodes in star formation, stably running Merlin 3004.388.4 on former and 3004.388.2.2-gnuton1 on the latter.

With Channel Select set to Auto the root broadcasts on Ch 100 (5GHz-2 wireless backhaul on the tri-band nodes), which then rebroadcast on Ch 36, i.e 5GHz-1. Mesh clients then connect on Ch 100 or 36, depending on where they find a stronger signal, with seamless switchover.

As OE mentioned this is not the most efficient use of bandwidth but for light traffic it definitely works and range overall is great.

My plan is to eventually get a tri-band root such as GT-AX11000 in there to rectify the bandwidth mismatch situation and also exploit my 10GbE FTTH connection.

PS: If you are not going the tri-band route and are limited to gigabit internet speed in any case, then nodes such as AX58u are probably just as good for $40 apiece off Ebay.

Last edited:
Thanks guys - 3 stories 4000 sqr ft and have around 50 devices. I am debating sending the XT8 's back if I cannot get full use out of them and am not looking to get rid of the AX86U at the moment.

Im mainly looking to get to the other side of the building where signal is week and put off some of the devices on different nodes.

I think the last point you are making OPR and that OE mentioned makes more sense for me to go a different route and check out the AX58U.

Appreciate the quick help as I am new here - appreciate your help!

Reactions: OPR
Just to add I have no personal experience with AX58U and have heard experts here warn it is underpowered.

Almost certainly another AX86U (or AX86S) would be better for extending range, as it has 4x4 streams at 5GHz (as opposed to 2 with the AX58U), which should help boost signal/transmission rate via Beamforming/MU-MIMO.

Let me just try pinging @Tech9 here in hopes he may offer some advice ...

I can't recommend any of ZenWiFi models. In my opinion all overpriced for what they are and based on feedback with common repeated issues.

To existing RT-AX86U perhaps 2x RT-AX86S are the best match, but it's hard to find those around. When on sale they disappear on the same day.

I can't recommend any of ZenWiFi models.

I don't have the experience to dis all of the ZenWiFi range, but I can say that the pair of XT8s that I had were a disaster. I assume that they are not representative of ASUS' typical products, because if they are I cannot explain the existence of any ASUS fanboys, let alone as many as seem to inhabit these forums. I am unlikely to buy any ASUS wireless product ever again.

Beyond that point, there's quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that AiMesh works best with a set of identical routers. There are known problems with not propagating RF settings to nodes that have different radios from the parent router, for example.

So I would run screaming from your proposed setup, regardless of which device you choose as main router. If you want to keep the AX86U as your main router, try to find some more to use as nodes, or at least buy nodes with as close to the same radios as you can find. Otherwise, maybe it's time for an all-new set of matched APs?

So I would run screaming from your proposed setup

I guess, this advice is for @OPR.

My proposed setup is routers with the same 2.4GHz/5GHz radios and running the same firmware released at the same time for both models.

Thanks you for the advice @Tech9 and @tgl - I am sending the Zens back and will look to add additional AX86's

Out of curiosity - if you have an AX86U and an AX86S what would you use as your main? I actually have the "s" version but posted as "u" because most threads Ive read reference "u" as well as the merlin code I have installed.

Thanks for saving me some $$$$

RT-AX86U - better hardware router. Quad-core CPU, 1GB RAM, 2.5GbE port.

The best router to buy today (particularly on sale) is the GT-AX6000. Better balanced hardware (2x 2.5GbE Ports, for LAN/WAN). Will get 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware (RT-AX86U won't). Faster, (and with less latency) than the older RT-AX86U. Proven router with RMerlin support.

Out of curiosity - if you have an AX86U and an AX86S what would you use as your main?

If you want better wireless "mesh" with Asuswrt options you are familiar with - use your existing Asus router as router only (Wi-Fi disabled) with Amazon eero or Google Nest Wifi for wireless. If you don't need Asuswrt and you are not interested in playing with firmware options - just use the new system. Qualcomm hardware based TP-Link Deco sets are also better in stability. I wouldn't invest too much in AiMesh if wireless is the only option.