What's new

AiMesh - 2 Nodes is 1 Wired & 1 Wireless Better or Worse than 2x Wireless?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slowmodomo

New Around Here
Using 3x AC68u's and have a question about bandwidth when setting up 3 devices, 1 parent with 1 wired node and 1 wireless.

Current setup is the wireless node inbetween the parent and the wired node.

I know repeater mode usually cuts bandwidth in half, but would there be any benefits having the wireless node inbetween two wired nodes as in more channels to repeat off of (wired, 2.4ghz, 5ghz), or would it just make things worse?
I think I read that there is seamless roaming if AiMesh is setup between all wired backhaul nodes, but if the wireless node is in between, would it make things choppier?

My main concern with a 68U as the AiMesh router is that it does not support Smart Connect node band steering, so you will want/need to use split SSIDs. Or, use an 86U for the root node and then you may not have to split the SSIDs.

I think wiring the more distant node will ensure it has a stable Gigabit Ethernet backhaul AND does not daisy chain wirelessly through the node in the middle if/when its otherwise wireless backhaul is deemed insufficient by the router due to distance/radio conditions.

OE

I keep trying to "wire the more distant node" and it keep going offline.. so i keep switching in back to AP...
Setting Ethernet as priority makes no difference

wireless nodes work fine

I keep trying to "wire the more distant node" and it keep going offline.. so i keep switching in back to AP...

wireless nodes work fine

I suspect a wired node still needs to be within radio range.

OE

My main concern with a 68U as the AiMesh router is that it does not support Smart Connect node band steering, so you will want/need to use split SSIDs. Or, use an 86U for the root node and then you may not have to split the SSIDs.

I think wiring the more distant node will ensure it has a stable Gigabit Ethernet backhaul AND does not daisy chain wirelessly through the node in the middle if/when its otherwise wireless backhaul is deemed insufficient by the router due to distance/radio conditions.

OE

With my AC3100 I still have to split the SSID's and cannot use Smart Connect with AC68U nodes. I assume it would behave the same with the AC86U.

wireless nodes work fine

I have the same issue. Setting the AC68U to Ethernet when it is connected via Ethernet it still shows as Wireless. This node has two Trendnet un-managed Gig switches back to the main router so that may have something to do with it.

OE

Does splitting SSiD's mean different SSiD's for 2.4ghz and 5ghz, or would it mean setting the wired node's SSiD so it is different from the parent? (I don't think AiMesh supports the second statement, so would I just set it up as AP?)

Eh.. i hope its not or they fix it...

I base my suspicion on their install FAQ... if a wired node could be far removed from the router radio range, surely they would note this. Instead, they explicitly recommend locating nodes within range.

OE

I base my suspicion on their install FAQ... if a wired node could be far removed from the router radio range, surely they would note this. Instead, they explicitly recommend locating nodes within range.

OE

Yes. Otherwise there's no way to fall/fail back to wireless when Ethernet isn't working.

Yes. Otherwise there's no way to fall/fail back to wireless when Ethernet isn't working.
well its need to be a up to user
They still need to fix it.
Ethernet connections is stable in AP mode for month/years
I set it as node , its fails with in 2 days max

wireless nodes work fine

May i know which model and FW version you are using ?

20648 on all now ... and still same happening

also new bug with 20648 wireless node showing offline but all devices connected and plugged to it still working ...
20624 wireless node been a lot more stable

Could you send feedback with system log, wifi log by feedback function ?

With my AC3100 I still have to split the SSID's and cannot use Smart Connect with AC68U nodes. I assume it would behave the same with the AC86U.

This AiMesh video at 1:15 effectively states that the functionality of the higher spec router/root node will extend to the remote nodes.

So, if you use the 86U as the router/root node, its Smart Connect feature should serve across the entire AiMesh, including 68U remote nodes that do not support Smart Connect when used as routers.

That said, I would prefer using all 86U nodes (especially if you only have to invest in two for a very large home) for their WiFi Range Boost, etc. and for symmetrical coverage which could help in certain layouts... it did for me.

Further down the road after ASUS gets AiMesh and their hardware sorted out, and when prices come down, I may prefer using all tri-band nodes for their dedicated wireless backhauls. We'll see...

OE

This AiMesh video at 1:15 effectively states that the functionality of the higher spec router/root node will extend to the remote nodes.

So, if you use the 86U as the router/root node, its Smart Connect feature should serve across the entire AiMesh, including 68U remote nodes that do not support Smart Connect when used as routers.

That said, I would prefer using all 86U nodes (especially if you only have to invest in two for a very large home) for their WiFi Range Boost, etc. and for symmetrical coverage which could help in certain layouts... it did for me.

Further down the road after ASUS gets AiMesh and their hardware sorted out, and when prices come down, I may prefer using all tri-band nodes for their dedicated wireless backhauls. We'll see...

OE

I did not have good success with the Smart Connect feature enabled so I disabled it. It seemed some clients got confused, especially those that only run on the 2.4Ghz band as they were maybe being redirected to the 5.xGhz band and couldn't connect. That's my theory and thoughts but who really knows. I'll try again after I get all my nodes on xx648.