What's new

AiMesh / AP and Guest Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chrisgtl

Regular Contributor
I'm 90% I already know the answer but just want confimration before making my next move.

Basically, I have two 86U's in AP mode working in AiMesh to provivde WiFi to my wireless devices. The master 86U is fed from my pfSense router.

I want to restrict certain LAN access across my network and thought I can just use a Guest Network SSID on the master 86U. I connected my phone to the Guest Network and could still access all LAN servers etc. Dug a bit deeper and saw similar posts asking the same question.

Do I have two options here?

- Create VLAN with a managed switch (but if all my Wireless devices are fed from the master AP can I mix'n'match LAN and VLAN devices or would I need an AP serving LAN and another AP serving VLAN)
- Take the master 86U out of AP mode and get it work in Router mode somehow? Will this work? Would it break AiMesh? Would I need to overcome a double NAT situation?

Cheers and stay safe everyone!

Deja vu. Another forum member was asking similar things. You probably had the routers before the firewall. They limit now what you can do with the firewall. I would replace the routers with VLAN capable AP going forward. You can run double NAT, but your firewall will see the router as one device. You lose per device control on the firewall. You'll need port forwarding too. Getting deep in more issues looking for workarounds.