What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Don't know if I've given up or not. I simply does not get it to work. My ac68u router does not find my ac66_b1. I've been trying since January. It actually did work once on 3.0.0.4.384_20287 firmware. But then I updated it and it stopped working. I've tried almost all firmware versions since then. (And yes I've done countless NVRAM resets and the units are right next to each other.)

My impression is that everybody who says it works great does not have a AC66_B1. Am I wrong?

Also those of you who getter better speeds without Aimesh, I'm guessing you have cable between router and node? And have not set up the second unit in repeater mode?

Sent fra min Moto G (5) Plus via Tapatalk

Don't know if I've given up or not. I simply does not get it to work. My ac68u router does not find my ac66_b1. I've been trying since January. It actually did work once on 3.0.0.4.384_20287 firmware. But then I updated it and it stopped working. I've tried almost all firmware versions since then. (And yes I've done countless NVRAM resets and the units are right next to each other.)

My impression is that everybody who says it works great does not have a AC66_B1. Am I wrong?

Also those of you who getter better speeds without Aimesh, I'm guessing you have cable between router and node? And have not set up the second unit in repeater mode?

For what it's worth, I've built 2x68U and 2x86U AiMeshes many times (debugging issues) and have always been able to add a node first time.

OE

Do both have same region settings (EU)?

Yes, both 13 channel setup as we have in Norway.

did you make factory reset on both units on firmware 32799?
Press WPS button while powering on and release 15s later when slow blinking LED.
Dont touch node router or make any settings there, only do mandatory settings on main router, search for mesh-node and try once more.

Yes, both 13 channel setup as we have in Norway.

I think Aimesh or similar "advanced features" do not support uncommon setting like that, eventhough they should. Just like I got a Tplink T2UH wireless USB adapter which never sees 5GHz high channels above 148.
So, I'd suggest you try with the following settings on main router
2GHz: channel 6; bandwith set to 20MHz
5GHz: channel 48; bandwith set to 20/40/80Mhz (not a specific 20 or 40 or 80)
For better testing, reset to factory defaults everything before setting up the mesh.

now im giving up my 3 routers Asus RT-AX88U.not stable on mesh system,nodes falling out,my kids cant play on the computers,going back to ac86u i think,it was verry stable when i had ac86u,just wanna try something new but not working.,i can only use mesh system here in the house.so please asus is there any new firmware /beta version out the before i send it back?and sometimes the the speed is bad i have 350/350 mbps,if i use cable i have 80mbps but if i take out the cable from lan port and put it back in i have full speed,but the aimesh is verry bad,using this at the same place i had my 3 ac-86u that was working great,just wanna try something new but but thw two i use at nodes keeping dropping out

now im giving up my 3 routers Asus RT-AX88U.not stable on mesh system,nodes falling out,my kids cant play on the computers,going back to ac86u i think,it was verry stable when i had ac86u,just wanna try something new but not working.,i can only use mesh system here in the house.so please asus is there any new firmware /beta version out the before i send it back?and sometimes the the speed is bad i have 350/350 mbps,if i use cable i have 80mbps but if i take out the cable from lan port and put it back in i have full speed,but the aimesh is verry bad,using this at the same place i had my 3 ac-86u that was working great,just wanna try something new but but thw two i use at nodes keeping dropping out

Send it back. Begging for support for virgin draft mesh-still-under-develop product is worse than buying it in the first place to replace a "working great" system... and double posting about it.

Hope this helps! :)

OE

i did just wanna try something new but my kids doesn t like it,sending back i think and get ac86u that was stable.I know its new i did just wanna try :)

i did just wanna try something new but my kids doesn t like it,sending back i think and get ac86u that was stable.I know its new i did just wanna try :)

I understand. But you crossed the line with 'please ASUS...' :) (just joking around)

OE

You want to try and play around with it get a AX88U :D:p and you have another 2 years to play with before you'll get the feeling it maybe working like it should (or even never).

did you make factory reset on both units on firmware 32799?
Press WPS button while powering on and release 15s later when slow blinking LED.
Dont touch node router or make any settings there, only do mandatory settings on main router, search for mesh-node and try once more.
Yes, still did not work. Channel 12 and 13 disabled. Did several searches.

If I enter WebGUI on the AC-66U_B1 and set it up as a AiMesh node, and then goes to AC-68U GUI then it says it found it, the 2,4GHz MAC shows up and it says it waiting to connect to it or something like that, but then it goes away and never find it again.

Think I might give up. My wife and kids are sick of me "playing around with it", as am I. It also provides internet for the guy who is renting downstairs (via cat5 to a N-56U). And we have fiber-optic IPTV via the router as well.

Think I might "just" pull a cable and set the AC-66_B1 as a normal AP. Don't really want to waste more time on it.

If I enter WebGUI on the AC-66U_B1 and set it up as a AiMesh node, and then goes to AC-68U GUI then it says it found it, the 2,4GHz MAC shows up and it says it waiting to connect to it or something like that, but then it goes away and never find it again.

Think I might give up. My wife and kids are sick of me "playing around with it", as am I. It also provides internet for the guy who is renting downstairs (via cat5 to a N-56U). And we have fiber-optic IPTV via the router as well.

Think I might "just" pull a cable and set the AC-66_B1 as a normal AP. Don't really want to waste more time on it.

depends on how old your ac68u is, it might be worth to try set up ac66u_b1 as main router.
for the first gen ac68u, cpu is clocked @ 800Mhz and 66u_b1 is clocked @ 1000Mhz.
you can check with the command "nvram get clkfreq"

But anyway, for my case, I have ac3100 with first gen ac68u.
If I am to set up and pair the ai-mesh, I have to load 384.20308 onto the ac68u to even able to find it.
But once I pair the ac68u, it's fine to update the router to the latest firmware.

I personally would upgrade the existing router and turn the old router into the node though.
So if anything, I would probably return 66u_b1 and maybe grab 86u to upgrade the network.

Did you ever try to pair them with ethernet connection (parent LAN to node WAN port) instead of WiFi pairing?
Only for pairing process, then you can change to Wifi (just remove ethernet cable).

Last edited:
then goes to AC-68U GUI then it says it found it, the 2,4GHz MAC shows up and it says it waiting to connect to it or something like that, but then it goes away and never find it again.

Make sure that you clicked on the B1 router icon and clicked "Add".

However, the upcoming firmware (later than 32799 and is being tested by OzarkEdge) sounds promising. You may wanna try that when it is released.

And for testing, you may wanna do like I do: prepare your own backup/redundant router (mine is a legendary 802.11g Linksys) and config it using same configuration like your main router. Whenever you wanna test your main router, just plug the old router in.

Make sure that you clicked on the B1 router icon and clicked "Add".

However, the upcoming firmware (later than 32799 and is being tested by OzarkEdge) sounds promising. You may wanna try that when it is released.

And for testing, you may wanna do like I do: prepare your own backup/redundant router (mine is a legendary 802.11g Linksys) and config it using same configuration like your main router. Whenever you wanna test your main router, just plug the old router in.
Add button never appeared it didn't get that far. It was a pop up that disappeared again shortly. The node never came up in the actual AiMesh window on the right side.

Did you ever try to pair them with ethernet connection (parent LAN to node WAN port) instead of WiFi pairing?
Only for pairing process, then you can change to Wifi (just remove ethernet cable).
Does not work either.

depends on how old your ac68u is, it might be worth to try set up ac66u_b1 as main router.
for the first gen ac68u, cpu is clocked @ 800Mhz and 66u_b1 is clocked @ 1000Mhz.
you can check with the command "nvram get clkfreq"

But anyway, for my case, I have ac3100 with first gen ac68u.
If I am to set up and pair the ai-mesh, I have to load 384.20308 onto the ac68u to even able to find it.
But once I pair the ac68u, it's fine to update the router to the latest firmware.

I personally would upgrade the existing router and turn the old router into the node though.
So if anything, I would probably return 66u_b1 and maybe grab 86u to upgrade the network.
You are correct. My AC68U got a 800 Mhz CPU, and my AC66U_B1 a 1000 MHz. The latter is now set up as router (which is actually how it was when I started with this in January).

AiMesh still not working though.

I might try again when a new firmware comes. But basically I am feed up with AiMesh and will go for plan B, which is to crawl in to a small space in the attic to access some tubes with RG6 and replace it with CAT5 and set the AC68U as an AP.

Thanks for input and advise though.