What's new

Another ping spiking question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

braddocksb

Occasional Visitor
Hello, recently i have buy a RT-AC68u E1 revision.

My ping in general is good, but when i download files (jdownloader,or bitorrent) the ping up to 200,300,or more.

The question is my setup is fiber 600MB/60MB, i have a ont, router is the ac68u, one equip direct to router, and a plc to another room with my server of downloads. These server is limited to 100MB+- for the plc conection. When this equip download at full of her bandwitch, the equip conected to router have a 500MB+- of bandwitch, in my anterior setup (same but a dlink DSL-3580L) my ping was stable always, with a less variation of 5ms+-. With the new asus this is imposible, in the best case i have obtained a 20-50ms+- ping added.

I have test with official firmware, and now i am using merlin, tested with qos adaptative,and traditional, and now with the script of this forum, the results are variable,but with the script 20-50ms is the best variation. With no qos or script, the ping spikes 200ms or more.

I am conscient,if i use all bandwitch (600 mb download, or the 60mb of upload) the ping is bigger for the saturation of the conection is normal, but in this case always use 100mb+- max for the limitations of plc.

Is a router problem? or i am mistaken?

thanks advance, and sorry for my english.

Have you set a per packet overhead value yet.

To confirm, the download PC/server is limited to 100mbps / 600mbps and you get ping spikes ?!?

What operating system is the PC/server. Does it support ECN packet congestion notification?

"Have you set a per packet overhead value yet."

What sectting or option is ?? I can find in merlin?

"To confirm, the download PC/server is limited to 100mbps / 600mbps and you get ping spikes ?!?

What operating system is the PC/server. Does it support ECN packet congestion notification?"

The server in openmediavault, and is limited by conection plc (the plc is not capable to more), No more bandwitch of 10MB real download, and 6MB real upload.

To clear situation, the server can saturate the line (60MB real download, 6MB real upload) using all upload, but not donwload. And direct downloads using this 10MB full line of plc, causes the spikes. I use jownloader habitually, torrent is ocasional (but have capped to 2MB the upload).

Allways remain in router or the pc direct to router a diference of 50MB reals download to her.

Try

Code:
sudo sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_ecn=1

On the NAS.

What is your score on dslreports speedtest with QOS.

Is your bandwidth 600 or 60?

aplied code and response:

net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 1

Speedtest report in pc direct to router 610Mbps download 71Mbps upload.

In omv or same pc moved to this point (the room of plc) 110Mbps download and 65Mbps upload.

What is the packet overhead recomended?

At those speeds, WAN overhead just doesn’t matter.

You would adjust QOS upload/download speeds until you get a good score on dslreports.com/Speedtest

Wan overhead is for small packets. Small packets will not transfer at rates close to your max speed.

My qos download/upload are some down of max reported in speedtest. 580 down/56 up.

But in the last router, don use any type of qos and no problem, and with asus rt ac68u yes. using or no using qos. This is the question.

I also see massive ping spikes when downloading with or without QOS on my N66U- with wireless in particular the issue does not exist for wired connections.

Some light from question? Is normal in this units or is my unit bad? I am at time to change to another model or brand.

Ok i have find, in qos section. My conection is a fiber optic, movistar 600/60 triple vlan. pppoe conection.

What is the packet overhead recomended?
Sorry I thought you were using adaptive qos.

Some light from question? Is normal in this units or is my unit bad? I am at time to change to another model or brand.

That is bad performance that is for sure.

You should NOT see ping spikes using 100mbps out of a 600mbps line with or without QOS.

No idea why this is happening

More info, I have tested limiting bandwith of omv PC in router section of qos, no adaptative, no traditional, only limiting bandwith to 100/25, and when download the ping is estable gaming or with a single ping to google.

Is strange, this option dont priorice any packet, is only a limitation of bandwith.