What's new

anyone else having problem with 384.7?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

goatdog

Occasional Visitor
RT-AC5300

Not sure if it is me or just me... updated from 384.6 that was running fine no issues for months. then started last week after upgrading to 384.7... some morning my route is sluggish and some times unpingable... when I am able to get into it with ssh, nothing seems abnormal... at least nothing in the syslog...but router is still very sluggish, lag or slow. Rebooted it and everything is good and fast again... this is happening 2x so far after the upgrade... and this router reboots on schedules every other days... What could be the cause... or where should I start looking?

same this morning on RT-AC86U 384.7, GUI no connection, but SSH and could enter reboot.

sorry dont know why too, buggy firmware, has not been with 32799 for about a month (but with previous stock firmwares) and now with 384.7 after a week which is based on much older stock.

Last edited:
yes, gonna roll back to, my wifi especially on 5 ghz is loosing connections
for example, i cant connect to it anymore, i see it broadcasting though, untill i reboot the router, then all devices on 5ghz are able to connect

to rollback, is it just as easy to just upload this original asus file?
RT-AC86U_3.0.0.4_384_32799-gfe72567_cferom_ubi ?

do i need to restore to factory defaults afterwards and start clean? or not needed?

thnx

yes
if you get wired issues a factory reset with initialize is recommended as well as 5s power cycle and manual setting everything (loading saved config would bring back misconfiguration).

I do not know what's wrong (RT AC-87U Merlin 384.7)
5G is displayed as Wi-FI Lan

Attachments

• 5G error.jpg
    5G error.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 361
Not specifically 384.7, but I found something interesting about these Asus routers/firmwares is they seem to have some kind of AI.
- I have an IPCamera that is only 3 meters away from the repeater, but when I setup my network several days ago (using same SSID), it never connected to the repeater but only the main router on below floor, no matter how many times I power cycled all of them. Then suddenly today, I saw it connected to the router.
- Later in this evening, I noticed that only one iPhone could see the IPcamera, all other phones and my laptop couldn't. Around 1 hour later, no devices could access internet. I didn't mind checking the routers as I was busy. And just around 15 minutes later, things just return normally. Phones and laptop could connect and see the IPCamera normally, Internet was also became available. It looked like the routers tried to re-heal themselves :confused:

yes, gonna roll back to, my wifi especially on 5 ghz is loosing connections
for example, i cant connect to it anymore, i see it broadcasting though, untill i reboot the router, then all devices on 5ghz are able to connect
If it help ive noticed this sort of connection issue even on my 3100. What caused it for me was changing wifi settings that would require the router to retsart the wifi drivers i guess. After that my pc would never be able to connect again. I found that either a router reboot or disable/enable my usb wifi stick fixed it. Suggesting to me the issue is not exactly the router hanging or anything but possibly something wrong with the diaconect sequence performed when applying new wifi settings. In short once ive finniahed setting this beast up ive never had a wifi issue. And this same issue ive experienced since the 380 series.

Funny because 384.7 has actually SOLVED all the connection problems I had with my Ac86u. Previously with 384.6 I had continuous wifi dropouts. 2.4ghz kept dropping clients and 5ghz had speed issues. I upgrade every couple months but Every time I do an upgrade I go a bit overboard with factory resetting and reinitialising powering off and on holding was. and sometimes flash the firmware a few times. I like the piece of mind I completely purged the last firmware values and any problems that occur aren’t to do with a bad upgrade.

Yes , it's all strange, but normally there should be issues with that release, since it doesn't include the wifi fixes

Yes it’s especially strange. I have 2 AC86Us and both were fixed soon as I upgraded them to 384.7 alpha 1. On the latest release they’re solid and highly recommend. No idea why other people are having problems.

When it works for one person and not for another, check what is different between you two: that usually means your connected clients is the first place to start, followed by your environment and configuration.

Really, the majority of wireless issues have nothing to do with the firmware and or the router's wireless driver, but with end-user's configuration and environment. It's not as if Asus/Broadcom completely changes the wireless driver code all the time. Changes are usually just minor, revolving around finetuning of power levels for instance.

In my 6 years using an Asus router, I only remember encountering two wireless related issues that were genuinely caused by the firmware:

- SDK 5.110 which broke compatibility with various Intel wireless cards (Asus resolved it by upgrading to 6.34)
- Quantenna's broken power mangement causing Android devices to quickly drain their battery

My Zenpad had issues connecting to high numbered 5 GHz channels, which was resolved by a Zenpad firmware update (and before that, I worked around the issue by switching to channel 36).

So while firmware-related wireless issues do happen, they are nowhere as frequent as posts on this forum might lead you to believe. Start troubleshooting procedures from your own side of things before jumping to any conclusion. The fact that for every single firmware release there's always a number of people claiming that "this firmware completely broke my wifi" should be a good hint that issues aren't always with the firmware.

My RT-AC88U running 384.7 currently has over 13 days of uptime here, with zero issues with my wireless clients. This is the same BCM4366 wireless chip as the RT-AC5300.

Last edited:
Yes , but in my case 384.7 really broke the wifi on 5ghz , my settings are default,no special config.... And indeed most of the time its also client related, but in my case , 5ghz was not working anymore, untill reboot of the router... I also have Google home and Chromecast connected to 5 GHz , and even those " clients " were unable to connect... Now downgraded to stock 32799 again, and no issues anymore... So there is really an issue on 86u with wifi

My 68U on .7 did work for one day, after that day the ram memory was almost 100%, the ui became very slow and unresponsive and both cores were flipping out both almost 100%.
I got rid of the new fw installed. 70 and all back to normal.

My 5Ghz and 2.5Ghz wifi working just fine with several clients. I have to turn on universal beamforming on 5 Ghz to get my Android Huawei p20 to connect. Beside that all working fine.

well in my Original Post... it was never about wireless connectivity... I am on Cat5... just the general router OS is sluggish...as if something running in the background have leeched all the CPUs... but can't find anyting in TOP or PS... the SSH is slow, the webGUI is slows to crawl... and all is fine once I rebooted. Just to note... few hours before I went to bed it was still fine... ... No this is not a ISP/network issues... since rebooting the router fixed everything..

So far, it has not re-occur yet... I think the last time this happened was 384.5.. I posted about it as well, then 384.6 seems to fixed it, and 384.7 happened again.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!