What's new

ASD bug fixed for Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matthew Patrick

Hi guys. So I'm using AC86U with 386.10. what do i need to do to make sure i won't have the bug that disables the internet etc?

Does rm -rf /jffs/asd folder (since it'll be recreated) and then flashing 386.11 make sure I don't get the bug? Thank you!

Hi guys. So I'm using AC86U with 386.10. what do i need to do to make sure i won't have the bug that disables the internet etc?

Does rm -rf /jffs/asd folder (since it'll be recreated) and then flashing 386.11 make sure I don't get the bug? Thank you!
I didn't do any such thing to my AC86, and mine has been perfectly fine running 386.11 for nigh on 5 days now.
The jffs graph in scMerlin is showing less available space than it did under 386.10, but there is still 7-8MB of wiggle room, so I'm only replying to see what more knowledgeable folk than I have to say about your proposal.

While this bug did not mess up with my router (GT-AX6000) memory, it seems to be fixed today (May 19) for now:

1684508267088.png

1684508404309.png

That would be specific to your machine if it did; Merlin isn't a "ship it and deal with the spray" kind of guy.

That would be specific to your machine if it did; Merlin isn't a "ship it and deal with the spray" kind of guy.
What do you mean? This is a widespread problem. It happens on both stock and Merlin's FW. I haven't seen a full on explanation on why it happens though. Only that it seems to be a buggy corrupted asd files and it seems that the newer asd files should be fine.

Nothing. 386.10's asd engine is not affected by the issue. It automatically updated itself to fixed signatures once they became available.

I understand. Yet the ASD issues happen again and again. I dont need the ASD and dont want it to run. If it was at least configurable, so i could control when it runs, when it updates, that could be a different story. But it is not.

Anyone knows if the workarounds to disable ASD still work?

The asd issue has only happened once, afaik.

It's not configurable because Asus was taken to task for their insecure routers at some distant point in time.

Try it and see if it works for you. Otherwise, I don't see why anyone would be testing this after Asus has issued a fix for their recent blunder.

Yet the ASD issues happen again and again.
Really? Can you point to other posts or threads where yesterday's issue has "happen again and again" in the past (other than yesterday)?

The ASD service and why Asus decided (or forced by government?) to go that route with that service is what it is. If Asus disabled the ASD service or gave the user the option to disable it; then you'd have a flood of complaints after people's routers were compromised. It is a dammed if they do, dammed if they don't situation. Fortunately others found workarounds to fix or mitigate the issue, that were posted to several discussions here, while everyone was waiting for Asus to fix their mess on their end.

I understand. Yet the ASD issues happen again and again. I dont need the ASD and dont want it to run. If it was at least configurable, so i could control when it runs, when it updates, that could be a different story. But it is not.

Anyone knows if the workarounds to disable ASD still work?
Trying to disable ASD is a very bad idea as commented by RMerlin:
Since ASUS have fixed their "faux pas" (mess) almost 2 days ago, it is no longer an issue.