What's new

Asus AC56U as a home router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lola

Regular Contributor
Running Ubuntu 16.04, 8GB ram, AMD 6 core processor, 2TB WD hard disk.

Hello to all. I read a review of the Asus AC56U Router and it seemed to be awesome except for it's speeds so I would like to get the opinions for using one for a home router. I need a router for streaming HD Video/Movies to my TV and Internet activities. Right now I am just downloading to the computer and watching them on a 16" View Sonic monitor. I do this through YouTube free movie site, and it's awesome.
Currently using a D-Link DSL-2750B Rental router from Verizon through their DSL line. The DSL line is rated for up to 3Mb/s download and under 1Mb/s upload. I know these speeds are slow but the cost is $45.00 to $50.00 per month just for that, with my phone (cheapest plan they have) it comes to about $85.00 per month.

So, I want to get rid of the rental router and buy my own. there fore the question on the above Asus AC56U.

I previously was considering the New Asus RT 88 but I believe that would be way overkill for my current needs.

I have had an ac56u running my home network for a while now with several wifi and wired devices going all the time (it seems like). Never any hiccups or performance lags. I have 60/6 cable service. I do have Merlin's FW on it too. The ac56u has a dual core 800Mhz cpu. Excellent router for the buck.

The RT-AC56U is (still) a recommended router today because it essentially has the same base hardware as the RT-AC68U. Of course it only has two antennae and they are internal, but if the area to be covered is modest and/or the clients you need to connect do not also have a 3x3:3 antennae of their own, the benefits of the larger and much more expensive model will go unused (The 'AC56U is around $50 on sale while the 'AC68U is closer to $200).

You can search for some of my previous posts about my experience with the RT-AC56U (all very positive) if you need more convincing, but in a nutshell, the RT-AC56U provides the minimum processor power, features, security and firmware (current and future) choices for a router today.

With the next step up costing roughly double to four times more (depending on your location and if you can wait for a sale or not). ;)