What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skeptical.me

Very Senior Member
So, I just purchased a new DSL-AC68U Modem/Router to replace my Service Providers horrible Modem.

It took about 5 minutes to setup and improved my (VDSL) Line Speed from 30.99Mbps to 35.45Mbps (yes really bad FTTN speeds here in Australia, I need every Mb I can get). So, I'm really happy with the purchase.

I'm just wondering, the connection is stable everything is working well, however, is there any way I can improve the speed even more by tweaking the DSL settings?

I'm inexperienced when in comes to DSL Modem settings so I have no idea if this is even possible, but I thought I'd just ask.

Thanks

So, I just purchased a new DSL-AC68U Modem/Router to replace my Service Providers horrible Modem.

It took about 5 minutes to setup and improved my (VDSL) Line Speed from 30.99Mbps to 35.45Mbps (yes really bad FTTN speeds here in Australia, I need every Mb I can get). So, I'm really happy with the purchase.

I'm just wondering, the connection is stable everything is working well, however, is there any way I can improve the speed even more by tweaking the DSL settings?

I'm inexperienced when in comes to DSL Modem settings so I have no idea if this is even possible, but I thought I'd just ask.

Thanks

I don't know.

But what is your nominal ISP speed? You won't get better than that.

OE

I don't know.

But what is your nominal ISP speed? You won't get better than that.

OE

Thanks for the reply.

As I wrote the Line Speed with the ISP modem was 30.99, and now with the DSL-AC68U I have a Line Speed of 35.45Mbps

So there's already an improvement.

Actually, now I remember the National Broadband Network installer told me theoretically the line could go up to 50Mbps, but given the distance I am from the Node speed is significantly reduced.

Thanks for the reply.

As I wrote the Line Speed with the ISP modem was 30.99, and now with the DSL-AC68U I have a Line Speed of 35.45Mbps

So there's already an improvement.

Actually, now I remember the National Broadband Network installer told me theoretically the line could go up to 50Mbps, but given the distance I am from the Node speed is significantly reduced.

So, you're getting 35.5 out of 50 over so many feet of copper pair... what are your neighbors getting? If you are all getting similar numbers, you may be maxed out. Do you know what speed you are paying for?

OE

So, you're getting 35.5 out of 50 over so many feet of copper pair... what are your neighbors getting? If you are all getting similar numbers, you may be maxed out.

OE

I have no idea what the neighbors are getting, ones a law lecturer at the university, others are a psychologist, a coder, a salesman, and retired folk. None of us talk to one another lol ... its a strange street :)

Yeah, maybe I am maxed out.

But, the positive is the 68U actually improved the Line Speed so that's great.

Thanks for the help.

I have no idea what the neighbors are getting, ones a law lecturer at the university, others are a psychologist, a coder, a salesman, and retired folk. None of us talk to one another lol ... its a strange street :)

Yeah, maybe I am maxed out.

But, the positive is the 68U actually improved the Line Speed so that's great.

Thanks for the help.

A VDSL expert may comment here, but you may still need to know some ISP VDSL service details... maybe you can get an upper tier ISP tech person on the phone to offer some relevant settings advice for your equipment, or sweet talk the field tech for same the next time you see them around. But if your speeds agree with your immediate neighbors, you're likely done.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!