What's new

Asus giving Quantenna another shot?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Digging through the latest GPL code, looks like Asus is going to give Quantenna another shot, with a router based on the QSR10G... CPU is Alpine-based.

Another new device appearing in the GPL... Named Bluecave, is Lantiq-based, has an M2 interface, and comes with a Bluetooth interface o_O

Lots of stuff - I saw some other items that were interesting...

Quantenna - maybe a second run for them? I'm not sure, as there were Wimax items inside that drop - and Wimax these days...

Makes it hard to sort perhaps with this drop.

Quantenna - maybe a second run for them? I'm not sure, as there were Wimax items inside that drop - and Wimax these days...

If you're referring to Beceem, that's been part of Asuswrt for years. It's a driver for a Broadcom USB modem.

jee you would wait on this getting a few miles under its belt before throwing money at it after the 87u Quantenna debacle

Why does ASUS have so few QCA-based devices? Seems to me they are actively avoiding it and instead go for Quantenna (unless I'm mistaken)

Another new device appearing in the GPL... Named Bluecave, is Lantiq-based, has an M2 interface, and comes with a Bluetooth interface o_O

Lantiq (now intel) was a player in DSL and G.hn space, if that helps...

If you're referring to Beceem, that's been part of Asuswrt for years. It's a driver for a Broadcom USB modem.

Beceem was bought by Broadcom for their Wimax/LTE product line (since cancelled).

Why does ASUS have so few QCA-based devices? Seems to me they are actively avoiding it and instead go for Quantenna (unless I'm mistaken)

They actually have quite a few QCA-based products, they're just not as widely advertised. The new BRT-AC828 for instance is QCA-based. Same with RT-AC55U, their PL line of products, RT-AC58U, RT-AC82U, and their Hivedot/Hivespot mesh products.

Digging through the latest GPL code, looks like Asus is going to give Quantenna another shot, with a router based on the QSR10G... CPU is Alpine-based.

Could be an interesting product - Alpine is a good choice for 10Gbe...

Quantenna has a less than stellar rep within the AsusWRT community based on the 87U, but they're not as bad as folks would think...

Quantenna has a less than stellar rep within the AsusWRT community based on the 87U, but they're not as bad as folks would think...

Ain't just Asus. Ask Netgear, who ditched their QTN-based design after only a few months (?) on the market, and issued a second HW revision with a different SoC manufacturer.

Ain't just Asus. Ask Netgear, who ditched their QTN-based design after only a few months (?) on the market, and issued a second HW revision with a different SoC manufacturer.

IIRC - Linksys also released a device on the QSR1000... which also had a short run -

To Asus' credit, they did stick with QTN thru the product run, and put joint effort to work thru most of the issues with the QSR...

QSR10G is a different chip - and I would assume that both Asus and Quantenna will apply the lessons learned.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!