What's new

Asus Router as OpenVPN CLIENT (using Merlin 380.67) -> timeout to private VPN server (on AWS)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dubsee

New Around Here
Hello!! First of all... HUGE fan of this forum - appreciate the wealth of information on here, it really helps beginners like me secure out networks.

ANYWAYS, I ran into some issues connecting to my VPN server from my asus router as a client. The really really weird part is, the .ovpn file generated through OpenVPN ACCESS SERVER works on my personal laptop (via Tunnelblik openvpn software client), but when I plug in the same .ovpn file into the router, it is unable to connect and the system logs show a connection timeout.

HERE IS THE SETUP, which includes:
- 1x Asus Router AC-1900P (BY THE WAY, it is CURRENTLY on sale at best buy for $80. AMAZING deal)
- 1x OpenVPN server (vanilla Access Server installed on debian AWS cloud)
- upgrade to Merlin 380.67 (the most recent release, for 68u)

HERE ARE THE SYSTEM LOGS (from asus router, with unsuccessful connection):

openvpn[3341]: TCP/UDP Preserving Recently used remote address: [AF_INET]xx.xxx.xxx.xx:1194
Socket Buffers: R=[87380->200000] S=[16384->200000]
Attempting to establish TCP connection with [AF_INET]xx.xxx.xxx.xx:1194 [nonblock]
TCP: connect to [AF_INET]xx.xxx.xxx.xx:1194 failed: Connection timed out
SIGUSR1[connection_failed(soft), init_instance] received, process restarting

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! No idea where to start... some configurations are attached in images.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 3.04.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 3.04.39 PM.png
    275.7 KB · Views: 1,218
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 3.04.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 3.04.44 PM.png
    212 KB · Views: 612
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 3.04.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 3.04.49 PM.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 785
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 3.04.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 3.04.56 PM.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 690
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 3.06.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 3.06.51 PM.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 457
A connection timeout usually implies one of the following:

- Bad address
- Bad port
- Bad protocol

The openvpn server is accessible via software openvpn client (tunnelblik). i loaded the same .ovpn configuration file into the asus router but it does not connect. any ideas? perhaps it is something on the router end.

Last edited:
The openvpn server is accessible via software openvpn client (tunnelblik). i loaded the same .ovpn configuration file into the asus router but it does not connect. any ideas? perhaps it is something on the router end.
Hi, I have the same issue with RT-AC68U and RT-AC88U I cannot connect anymore to any OpenVPN Server although I'm using the same .ovpn file. Any suggestion or idea?
Tks!

Hello!! First of all... HUGE fan of this forum - appreciate the wealth of information on here, it really helps beginners like me secure out networks.

ANYWAYS, I ran into some issues connecting to my VPN server from my asus router as a client. The really really weird part is, the .ovpn file generated through OpenVPN ACCESS SERVER works on my personal laptop (via Tunnelblik openvpn software client), but when I plug in the same .ovpn file into the router, it is unable to connect and the system logs show a connection timeout.

- 1x Asus Router AC-1900P (BY THE WAY, it is CURRENTLY on sale at best buy for $80. AMAZING deal)

openvpn[3341]: TCP/UDP Preserving Recently used remote address: [AF_INET]xx.xxx.xxx.xx:1194
Attempting to establish TCP connection with [AF_INET]xx.xxx.xxx.xx:1194 [nonblock]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! No idea where to start... some configurations are attached in images.
Hi, same issue here, .ovpn file working from tablet or laptop or desktop but not working anymore from ASUS Routers!
Can help?
Tks!

It is probably something with the ovpn configuration from your VPN provider.

Be sure that you are downloading a file specifically for either Linux or OpenWRT not a Windows PC if they offer that option.

I have not upgraded tp 380.67 but both ovpn files from StrongVPN or Astrill VPN run fine on my AC1900P still running 380.66.

Interesting, was it working before? Perhaps it is related to upgrading to 380.67.
Yes it was working very smooth, I tried everything supported by the service provider but nothing happens, I'm convinced this issue is FW related...

Yes it was working very smooth, I tried everything supported by the service provider but nothing happens, I'm convinced this issue is FW related...
with 66.4 I never had drops or re connection problems with the VPN client.
since 66.6 and 67 this happens daily. Its usually off and saying connection problem. I turn the service on and it works fine.
Maybe the openvpn update is causing problems with providers.
In the past I never had any issues like this.
I have defaulted the router a couple of times and did everything again including defaulting the VPN client and entering data over.
My buddy who has the same router had the same issue. He went back to an older firmware and it works just fine.
So I am not sure where this is coming from but if Merlin can help.

since 66.6 and 67 this happens daily. Its usually off and saying connection problem. I turn the service on and it works fine.
I have defaulted the router a couple of times and did everything again including defaulting the VPN client and entering data over.
My buddy who has the same router had the same issue. He went back to an older firmware and it works just fine.
The problem is that the connection is not dropping or going off, the yellow message is continuously "connecting to server...". No bad password message, no wrong username message only connecting... this makes me crazy as it was working very well until last update!

Yea I suppose stability is much more important. I will try 380.64 and report back to see if this is a consistent issue with the new firmware.

Ok, I decided to try a different VPN provider just to understand what's wrong, guess what, with a different provider the problem is not there anymore, my new UK VPN is Working well and so many other different regions. So let's see with the next Private
Tunnel release if the issue has been fixed...

For reference, to fix the connection refused problem:

1. SSH into VPN server
2. Open ports using "UFW"

dubse - did reverting back to 380.64 firmware solve the time out issue?
Indeed I tryed everything, what I didn't realized is that port 1194 was open in TCP and not UDP... I change it and it is working! PROBLEM FIXED. Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions!!!
Max