What's new

Asus router menu not secure Chrome warning question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

willyburz

So is this just Chrome/chromebook seeing the router menu as not secure but you are fine logging in and handling settings, or what? I saw a way to secure the certificate through asus site, but it looks counter productive, cause it enables access from the wan, or something? Isn't that a bigger risk?

So is this just Chrome/chromebook seeing the router menu as not secure but you are fine logging in and handling settings, or what? I saw a way to secure the certificate through asus site, but it looks counter productive, cause it enables access from the wan, or something? Isn't that a bigger risk?

A browser HTTP connection is not secured like an HTTPS connection. Chrome in particular started warning users when not using HTTPS. What you are seeing is your browser using HTTP to access your router webUI. But you don't care because you are only communicating across your internal LAN... if this traffic is being spied on by a man in the middle, then you have more serious concerns on your internal network.

You can configure the router webUI to use HTTPS, but nobody bothers using unnecessary security since it could malfunction and become a nuisance.

Also, there was one report of HTTPS interfering with adding an AiMesh node, but who knows and not worth confirming.

OE

Last edited:
Thank you both...did not think it was an issue, but wanted to ask to be safe. Only chromebooks, some nest minis, and a nest thermostat. Only operating system is work pc, but I put that on the guest ssid.