1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asus RT-86U shuts down every 2-3 days

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Dok, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Dok

Dok New Around Here

Hello! I'm new, nice to meet you all.
    Need some help please!
    I have a new RT-AC86U (2 weeks) with a (small) problem.
    Every few days, the router stops, i.e. I can't find the wifi network anymore, the router is turned off, the lights are out, not responding. I have to power off than on and it's ok for a few days and then shuts down... so on.
    Merlin latest version right out of the box.
    Typical settings, PPPoE, nothing special.
    6-8 clients (wifi only).
    Set to reboot every morning at 6am. - I have disable it now.
    CPU temp: 70-74C.

After 2 of these I've set it (for now!) as AP. The main router was and is back again a RT-N56U (which I have for 6-7 years - rock solid!).
    Uploaded syslog. Last shut-down was today. Discovered around 10am - couldn't find wifi any more.
    Any advice is helpful and much appreciated.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Dok

Dok New Around Here

Looks like garnik had this issue too! See #1 on his post here.
    Could this daily reboot be the issue?

4. arthurlien

arthurlien Very Senior Member

Will it happen on ASUS FW ?

5. Dok

Dok New Around Here

Hi Arthur.
    I don't know that, I'm still testing it with Merlin from day 1. It's day 3 since I disabled auto-reboot schedule and, for now, it's ok.
    I'm going to test it with official FW as well.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!