What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ScottNY

New Around Here
I just installed the latest Merlin firmware without a hitch. It looks like the stock firmware on steroids with its extra features. Thank you, Merlin.

Does anyone know where I can find a good settings guide, especially for wireless settings, so that I can get maximum performance from the router/firmware combo? I live in an apartment building in NYC so there are a thousand devices near me. I am completely lost on how to properly configure many of the options such as channels, bandwidth, modes, etc.

My needs are relatively simple. I have a PC and a Vonage device connected via ethernet to the router, two wireless computers, two SMART TVs, three cell phones, and a few legacy devices [Chumby, Squeezebox, etc.] connected to my router. We do a little bit of streaming video, but not too much or too often. I don't know if it matters, but I have fairly good speeds coming from my Time Warner/Spectrum cable modem. I get my WiFi from the RT-AC68 and have it turned off on the cable modem. All thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. I know something about what I am doing, but am far from an expert.

Just a Copy/Paste from the [GUIDE] : :)
General tips (applies to both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz)

Use a tool such as InSSIDer (Windows) or Wifi Analyzer (Android) to determine which channel is the least busy, then set your router to that channel. Keep in mind that a 2.4 GHz wifi channel will interfere with both neighbouring channels. So if you set it to channel 3, it can be affected by anything also using channel 2 and 4. If your neighbour is on channel 1, then he will also interfere with channel 2. That's why it's usually best to stick with channel 1, 6 or 11, as anything between these will most likely interfere with two other used channels.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/guide-troubleshooting-wifi-issues.12825/

Final Tip : If it's not broken dont fix it! ;)