What's new

Asus RT-AC68U Router & Macbook Pro SAMBA Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Netbug

Regular Contributor
Hello

I own a Asus RT-AC68U router running latest firmware beta version 9.0.0.4.380.2695, problem also existed on previous two/three firmwares as well which weren't beta.

I have a external HDD connected to my router via USB3. On there are media files videos, pics etc. Previously up until approximately 8 weeks ago i was able to connect to my hard drive that's connected to the asus router via USB3 via SAMBA on my macbook pro.

On my macbook pro (mid 2014) i select 'Go' from the Finder bar and choose 'connect to server' i enter my router IP 'smb://192.168.1.1' and then enter my router login details but it comes up on macbook pro saying 'There was a problem connecting to the server “Media”. The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem.'

I formatted and did fresh install of OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 and problem still persists. I thought it was my router and did a full reset using Asus firmware restoration tool on mac, reset and cleared NVRAM and still same.

I think it's something to do with my mac not supporting... i don't know maybe a newer version of SAMBA or something.

I've only owned my macbook pro just over a year so not a expert to know what to try on my mac.

Both 'Media Server' and 'Network Place/SAMBA Share' are turned on in router like they always have been, nothing changed.

Another thing i noticed, when i did a full format and reinstall of EL Capitan, in Finder sidebar it found my HDD on router as it showed like a symbol with the text 'Media' next to it in Finder sidebar i never saw it appear before but it did briefly then disappeared and not seen it since. I think thats because i have 'Media Server' On in Asus router. I also have it called Media (device name).

Any help much appreciated as I don't know what to do and try. It's frustrating as i used to be able to copy media files, delete, move them wirelessly etc but now have to disconnect HDD from router and connect it phisically to mac every time i want to add, delete files etc. My smasung tv, bluray player etc can Find the HDD (called 'media') and play media etc just my macbook pro having problems connecting to HDD that connected to router.

Thank you

Last edited:
Hello

I own a Asus RT-AC68U router running latest firmware beta version 9.0.0.4.380.2695, problem also existed on previous two/three firmwares as well which weren't beta.

I have a external HDD connected to my router via USB3. On there are media files videos, pics etc. Previously up until approximately 8 weeks ago i was able to connect to my hard drive that's connected to the asus router via USB3 via SAMBA on my macbook pro.

On my macbook pro (mid 2014) i select 'Go' from the Finder bar and choose 'connect to server' i enter my router IP 'smb://192.168.1.1' and then enter my router login details but it comes up on macbook pro saying 'There was a problem connecting to the server “Media”. The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem.'

I formatted and did fresh install of OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 and problem still persists. I thought it was my router and did a full reset using Asus firmware restoration tool on mac, reset and cleared NVRAM and still same.

I think it's something to do with my mac not supporting... i don't know maybe a newer version of SAMBA or something.

I've only owned my macbook pro just over a year so not a expert to know what to try on my mac.

Both 'Media Server' and 'Network Place/SAMBA Share' are turned on in router like they always have been, nothing changed.

Another thing i noticed, when i did a full format and reinstall of EL Capitan, in Finder sidebar it found my HDD on router as it showed like a symbol with the text 'Media' next to it in Finder sidebar i never saw it appear before but it did briefly then disappeared and not seen it since. I think thats because i have 'Media Server' On in Asus router. I also have it called Media (device name).

Any help much appreciated as I don't know what to do and try. It's frustrating as i used to be able to copy media files, delete, move them wirelessly etc but now have to disconnect HDD from router and connect it phisically to mac every time i want to add, delete files etc. My smasung tv, bluray player etc can Find the HDD (called 'media') and play media etc just my macbook pro having problems connecting to HDD that connected to router.

Thank you

"Media Server" is a DLNA server ie something TV's & related devices know how to connect to.

"Network Place/SAMBA" is file serving by a specific (Micro$oft) protocol. This is the share you should be connecting to in Mac Finder. It should appear in the left panel of Finder under "Shares"

You presumably set up a share in your router SAMBA with a specific user name & password.

This will not (or SHOLUD NOT) be the same as the admin user name/password you use to login to the routers configuration page via web browser.

MacOS El Capitan can see/connect/browse SAMBA shares but there is a long standing (like 5 bloody years) issue with very slow browsing of SAMBA (SMB) shares.

If the share is not showing up in "Shares" (it takes a minute or two after logging in) log in to your RT-AC68U via web browser & check (make note) the share name user pass etc.

Have you altered any of the firewall settings in the router?

From Finder click Go/Connect to server & type

SMB://192.168.1.1:445

or alternatively

CIFS://192.168.1.1:139

after a delay the Mac will prompt you for a user/pass & if more than one share exist, show a list to choose.

Are you positive this is the correct IP address?

"Media Server" is a DLNA server ie something TV's & related devices know how to connect to.
Thanks thought it was DLNA, thanks for confirming, yeah my tv, mobile etc uses DLNA to access media from HDD connected to router.

"Network Place/SAMBA" is file serving by a specific (Micro$oft) protocol. This is the share you should be connecting to in Mac Finder. It should appear in the left panel of Finder under "Shares"

You presumably set up a share in your router SAMBA with a specific user name & password.

This will not (or SHOLUD NOT) be the same as the admin user name/password you use to login to the routers configuration page via web browser.
My asus rt-ac68u router sets the admin user as default user for samba so yes it is same username/password as when logging in to router configuration page via web browser, although i can add more users if i want to but never needed to, also i've always used those details before without issue and they are the same.

MacOS El Capitan can see/connect/browse SAMBA shares but there is a long standing (like 5 bloody years) issue with very slow browsing of SAMBA (SMB) shares.
When i was able to access SAMBA shares on my mac it was quick to be honest, i go to 'Go' on finder bar then choose 'connect to server' enter smb://192.168.1.1, it then prompts for username and password, i enter them (yes they are correct i've checked dozens of times) and then get the following error on my macbook pro, it's this error causing me the problem.

'There was a problem connecting to the server “Media”. The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem.'

If the share is not showing up in "Shares" (it takes a minute or two after logging in) log in to your RT-AC68U via web browser & check (make note) the share name user pass etc.
As stated above it used to show up but it will not show up anymore because of the error mentioned above. I can't connect because of this error, if i could connect without the error above then it would show as it should under 'Shares' like before in the finder sidebar but won't because it cannot connect due to error above.

Have you altered any of the firewall settings in the router?
No, it's enabled but other than that there's nothing to alter there's no custom type settings for firewall enable/disable only unless you use ie, asuswrt merlin firmware, plus it's always been enabled and using SAMBA without issue

From Finder click Go/Connect to server & type

SMB://192.168.1.1:445

or alternatively

CIFS://192.168.1.1:139

after a delay the Mac will prompt you for a user/pass & if more than one share exist, show a list to choose.

Are you positive this is the correct IP address?

I've tried as you've stated SMB://192.168.1.1:445 again same error as mentioned above, the other CIFS://192.168.1.1:139 does nothing, yes this is the default correct IP address of the router to access my media on router and always worked before to. I've also Tried smb://192.168.1.1/Media and smb://Media again same error about server version not supported, it worked up until approx 8 weeks ago, i can only assume the version of SAMBA on the router is not supported by El Capitan or something with that error i get although seems odd.

UPDATE 1#: I am able to access the HDD that's connected to router via USB3 on Windows 10 so it must be something to do with macbook pro and server version. Just don't know how to fix it.

UPDATE 2#: It seems either a bug or delibrate but i created a new user and now it works, seems asus may have possibly updated the security in firmware to not allow login via SAMBA using router web interface login details (admin), either way creating a seperate new user solves the problem.

many thanks.

Last edited:
UPDATE 1#: I am able to access the HDD that's connected to router via USB3 on Windows 10 so it must be something to do with macbook pro and server version. Just don't know how to fix it.

UPDATE 2#: It seems either a bug or delibrate but i created a new user and now it works, seems asus may have possibly updated the security in firmware to not allow login via SAMBA using router web interface login details (admin), either way creating a seperate new user solves the problem.

many thanks.

Glad you got it working Mat. I can sense your relief. Very frustrating.

Not 100% sure if this behaviour you observed is a 'feature' (or bug) of stock ASUS firmware these days.

The Merlin Firmware is very nice as it takes stock FW & knocks the rough edges off it whilst incorporating some nice tweaks. Also it's more actively supported & documented. It may be worth your time switching to it some time.

I note a Windows box could connect but not the Mac. We love our Macs but be aware that SMB protocol implementation on Macs has been ..less than good.. for some years now. El Capitan does work but browsing directories containing large numbers of files can be very slow. Known issue. No fix.

Cheers mate.

Samba servers have been a pain for Mac's since about, well, for a few years since Apple moved away from Samba after the Samba devs changed their GPL licenses...

I've had mixed experiences myself, and many other Mac users have as well - newer Samba server versions seem to be better with Apple's home-grown client, but older versions of Samba have auth and performance issues.

SMBup might help out here, as this is an SMB 3.0 client...

Glad you got it working Mat. I can sense your relief. Very frustrating.

Not 100% sure if this behaviour you observed is a 'feature' (or bug) of stock ASUS firmware these days.
It was a feature and presume it still is as where it shows the users under 'Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk' the main router login account user shows still and you can still choose what folders you want to allow read/write on for the main router login account user.

I created a new user and problem was gone, but further testing shows, if i disable read/write access for main router login account under 'Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk' i get the same error again, so creating another user solves the problem but the main router login account still must be given read/write access else other created users won't be able to connect.

From this i believe it's a 'quirky' bug and not intentional, Asus firmware has come and leaps and bounds from when i first bought my rtac68u router and i can also report it to asus via router, so what i've done is sent a report with details including router logs etc to asus and have asked them if it is a bug or intentional, if intentional i think it's still buggy due to oddish behaviour with users and not found anything in firmware release notes regarding this change)

I'll await a reply from them if i get one.

The Merlin Firmware is very nice as it takes stock FW & knocks the rough edges off it whilst incorporating some nice tweaks. Also it's more actively supported & documented. It may be worth your time switching to it some time.

I note a Windows box could connect but not the Mac. We love our Macs but be aware that SMB protocol implementation on Macs has been ..less than good.. for some years now. El Capitan does work but browsing directories containing large numbers of files can be very slow. Known issue. No fix.

Cheers mate.

I tried merlin a few months back and router kept randomly rebooting and 1 CPU core kept revving up, it was useful just for the VPN features as i could specify which devices used the vpn connection and which didn't, this appealed to me allot but due to random rebooting and some odd behaviour i reverted back to asus stock, i know others was having same/similar issues, i may try it again though as believe another one or two versions have been released since i tried it in December 2015, as it's awesome firmware to be honest and definitely has good tweaks and improvements over stock that appeal to me.

Cheers

Samba servers have been a pain for Mac's since about, well, for a few years since Apple moved away from Samba after the Samba devs changed their GPL licenses...

I've had mixed experiences myself, and many other Mac users have as well - newer Samba server versions seem to be better with Apple's home-grown client, but older versions of Samba have auth and performance issues.

SMBup might help out here, as this is an SMB 3.0 client...

I have saw allot of information regarding this to be honest and yeah it does seem to cause many people problems, for me it works fine for my basic needs and speeds for transfers i find very quick, i'm only transferring video, pics from macbook pro to hdd that's connected to router over my wifi connection, other devices ie. smartphones, tv, tablets etc can access the network drive via DLNA and play, view files and my macbook pro via SAMBA unless i boot into Windows 10 where DLNA is also supported.

I also used to have time machine enabled on my router and did backup my macbook pro wirelessly to the router HDD as well, works well for me except every xx weeks i always have to create a new time machine backup as old one could no longer never be verified, not sure if it was router or possibly time machine that kept messing the backup up, only happens after several weeks has passed, i know people mention time machine can be flaky so i just connect another hdd to macbook pro now via usb3 for backing up with time machine and do that once a week just one large backup.

Cheers