What's new

Asus RT-AC68U UPnP and Port Forwarding won't work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cel

Occasional Visitor
So i've had a weird issue since the first day i've bought this router whereas not a single browser port forwarding test can detect any ports i open when i use wan->Virtual Server / Port Forwarding page in the router settings.

Also while 9 out of 10 games and programs seem to be working just fine when it comes to online gaming and connections - a couple of them either don't work and require manual port forwarding and do not detect UPnP even if they actually work online.

The only way i seem to be able to test my ports is to download a software (pfportchecker seems to work fine) directly on my pc and run it. Even then some games would claim that i did not open my ports or did not enable UPnP, and browser based tests won't detect those ports. I've also tried using a software which uses UPnP but it couldn't apparently detect any ports and i wasn't able to find anything else similar to test it again.

My windows firewall (im using windows 10) is completely disabled and i've tried disabling avast internet security shields as well (i've used different av software with exact same results). I've also got something called "real dynamic IP address" from my provider instead of just "dynamic address".

Is there any other reason why i can't test my ports in the browser or why some software and games can't seem to detect UPnP and open ports?

What firmware (version and author)? Was a reset to factory defaults with a minimal and manual configuration ever done?

From the looks of things, you have adjusted (too) many things in (too) many places. I wish you luck getting it to work properly.

Almost nobody with their devices set to the defaults has the issues you have.

Im using 380.57 firmware by Merlin.

Honestly i didn't change any settings besides setting up wi-fi. Last time i did a reset was a year ago after some firmware upgrade which required it.

for port forwarding to work you have to give your device a static IP. Port forwarding requires an internal static IP to forward to.
Some ports cannot be forwarded because they are reserved for important things or forwarding them could lose access to your router.

I have not had a problem with UPNP before. When you port forward the port will be seen as closed or not responding if the server the port is forwarded too doesnt respond on that port. So if you do a port test you need to have the server running.

Im using 380.57 firmware by Merlin.

Honestly i didn't change any settings besides setting up wi-fi. Last time i did a reset was a year ago after some firmware upgrade which required it.

A year ago? Time to do it properly then. ;)

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

However, I would instead be testing the 380.80 Alpha builds instead (with the above steps too).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/test-builds-380-58-alpha-builds-are-now-available.30648/

These builds have fixed many issues for many people and are stable (enough) too.

for port forwarding to work you have to give your device a static IP. Port forwarding requires an internal static IP to forward to.
Some ports cannot be forwarded because they are reserved for important things or forwarding them could lose access to your router.

I have not had a problem with UPNP before. When you port forward the port will be seen as closed or not responding if the server the port is forwarded too doesnt respond on that port. So if you do a port test you need to have the server running.

It's hard for me to understand most of what you recommended here and it's even harder for me to find all the settings mentioned in the post above but ill try factory reset first. Im not going to flash to test builds just yet.

Well i've done factory reset and selected most of recommended settings but it didn't help.

Last edited: