What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U vS RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

emax.b

Regular Contributor
Hi,
about CPU on this device :

RT-AC86U : Broadcom BCM4906 (1.8 GHz, 2 cores)
RT-AC88U : Broadcom BCM4709C0 (1.4 GHz, 2 cores)

RT-AC86U is the best solution if I need power for :

- AiProtecion
- QoS with App analysis
- VPN
- Ad-blocking ( pi-hole\ab-solution )

i prefer AC-88U for 8X port lan with link-aggregation :(

Thanks

Hi,

- AiProtecion
- QoS with App analysis
- VPN

Thanks

Thanks for letting us know?

I've been looking at the 86U and the thing that stood out to me was the clock speed, though I'm not sure how important that is. I believe it allows for faster speeds when using a VPN, among other functions.

Hi,

- AiProtecion
- QoS with App analysis
- VPN

Thanks
The RT-AC86U is much better with QoS, VPN and AIProtection. Especially VPN due to hardware accelerated IPSEC (Crypto). But according to Tim's new review the CTF of RT-AC86U has little impact meaning that all these features seems run much faster.

Im in a 2500 square foot house. My current router is an ASUS RT-AC66U. Im wanting to update. Its 4 years old.
Im running 8 high definition security camera thru a Blue Iris Surveillance system. These cameras record 24 hours a day and run on the 2.4 channel only. I also have myself and my wife that want the fastest internet speeds. We are NOT gamers. We just updated from 75 meg down 10 up too 300-350 down 3o meg up on Xfinity/Comcast. I purchased the Netgear CM 1000 Cable modem which is 3.1 DOCSIS supporting 1 gbps. I usually have the camera system running on 2.4 and laptops running 5. My primary laptop is running a Killer 1535, http://www.killernetworking.com/products/killer-wireless-ac-1535.

Am I going to see a big difference with the 86U vs. my existing 66U?
Im not sure reading the reviews on how the 86U performs on the 2.4 channel?
What are my options on the flagship level routers?
Will I gain anything if Im not a gamer buying a flagship model?
I dont mind spending $200-500 if I can see a good difference in quality.

That is a lot of questions. You can find out much of this yourself by doing research (like charts on this site).
Dont "think" flagship. Think of each router and what it does. Both RT-AC88U are excellent routers but the RT-AC86U is newer and fastere for QoS and VPN and using USB drives. Are you not using any of these there may not be a lot to gain. But it is also cheaper and will likely be a very popular and well supported model.

If you can see a difference in performance depends entirely on your clients. There you will have do to some research but changing to a better class alone makes a difference.
These articles can give you an idea of this:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...oes-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...2896-will-a-new-ac-router-bring-you-wifi-joy?

Personally I would pick the RT-AC86U since it is newer and based on the new Broadcom platform with much improved CPU performance.

I am stuck here with the OP as well. Can one hope they'll release one with LA and fast clock speed for VPN? Fingers crossed, but I probably wont wait for something that doesn't exist. :( I was hoping it would save me from updating my switch to get LA though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!