What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U WAN Link state only 100 Mbps (UK)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scalage

New Around Here
I'm currently running an Asus RT-AC86U connected to a Huawei HG612 modem by a Cat. 5e ethernet cable. I've noticed the link state is only listed as 100Mbps, I'm assuming it should be more? The broadband speed supplied to the property is less than 10Mbps, I don't know if this would automatically 'throttle' the link state down to 100Mbps. I've tried a different cat. 5e cable which hasn't made a difference. My concern is that this may possibly be something to do with the modem, as it seems the only way to get hold of these in the UK is to buy a used Openreach one off eBay. So I want to establish if its the modem that's faulty.

I may also be making a really stupid error - any input is greatly appreciated.

Huawei HG612 has 100 mbps ethernet ports. So AC86U negotiates at that speed.

That would make a lot of sense. I'm also presuming that this will have zero impact upon performance until I'm receiving >100mbps connection to the property, at which point I'll be capped at 100 and will need to invest in a new modem if I want to use the additional performance?

yes you're right, as long as your broadband speed is lower than 100 mbps everything will be fine

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!