What's new

Asus RT-AX86U as USB failover and samba station. Hi can the Asus RT-AX86U as USB failover connection and samba station at the same time?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe.

More details are required.

Hi, can the Asus RT-AX86U as USB failover and samba station at the same time?
Should be able to as it has two USB3 ports.

But, a router makes a poor substitute for a NAS or Samba server. With every firmware upgrade I test the USB services and every time I decide to not use a USB drive in the router. That is why I have spent the big bucks on two NAS!

Its a backup USB modem supplied by Vodafone which is probably a Huawei. Would like to use that as a failover if I can but use the second USB port as a download station..

Fail over/back may or may not work for you because Dual WAN function in Asuswrt is buggy.

What you call "Samba station" may or may not work for you because Samba in Asuswrt is buggy.

Multiple threads about issues with both here on SNB Forums. If you want to test your luck - go ahead.

Yes, absolutely nothing. You only have your mobile data plan to lose when the router doesn't fail back after main connection is restored or your data to lose when USB file share starts acting up and you end up with corrupted USB drive. Your router is a toy with $50 hardware inside and perpetual beta firmware. Don't take it as serious networking hardware with NAS capabilities and whatnot the manufacturer marketing says.

Somewhere I had run across a list of USB cell modems supported on line. You might have more affordable route with your cell phone tethered. Use the USB drive only when you verify that there is no data corruption. That way you only have your time to lose. Best of luck, looking forward to your posted results. If at some point a firmware update fixes my USB drive issue I will post my findings.

Since my semi-rural and only choice, read monopoly, cable provider sucks, I have 2 T-Mobile phones and a T-Mobile home internet as back up. But that's a story for another day.

To not be a negative Nelly, I have a 3 node AiMesh system that so far seems to solve some of my prior WiFi problems. AND this forum is a little difficult to R&D in but so far so good, so much better than non-existent tech support. These days I have learned to celebrate small victories where I can find them.

Well, connected the supplied USB modem by Vodafone to my RT-AX86U, had to use a USB extender cable, left everything on auto when setting it up and it seems to be working fine, crap speeds 2-3mbs but at least there is some internet fail over. The fail back feature didn't seem to work as planned, maybe I didn't give it enough time but it should jump back to my fibre connection when its back up...strange.

Is that a current USB modem? Sounds like the speeds I was seeing in 2016 with HSPA+ AKA 3.5G. Another possibility is the modem is located in a position with low signal strength. I find this a catch 22. The modem probably wants to be in a window with the best line of site to the Cell tower while the router will give the best results towards the center of the area to be covered. A relatively short maximum length for the USB extension cable limits how far the two can be displaced. But also if in a neighborhood with other WiFi signals locating the router in the window will also expose the router to the neighborhood competing WiFi signals.

For reference my T-Mobile Home Internet 5G Gateway is getting about 250Mbps down via Cat5 to the computer when located in just the right position “looking” out a window on the upper floor on the NE corner of the house. Positioning is critical for maximum speeds.

I’m currently using another device for fall over and not my Asus router. But I can tell you from experience that tuning fall over can be tricky.

My house is in a big dip and I always had trouble getting 4g on my phone. The Vodafone modem worked straight pout of the box albeit with such slow speeds..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!