What's new

ASUS RT-AX88U (original, not the new Pro): 2.4GHz Band not turning on at reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rush_ad

Occasional Visitor
I have an AX-88U running as the main router on an AiMesh setup with 2 satellite AX-92Us. All routers are running factory firmware, latest .388 series.

Over last several months, I've noticed that my primary router (AX-88U) does not turn on the 2.4GHz band after a reboot. For example:
1) When I reboot the system via web interface or the Asus app, the router will restart. However 2.4GHz band will not be active.
2) After a power outage, the router seems to restart on it own. And 2.4GHz band will not be active.

I can tell that 2.4GHz band is not active; because:
1) Only devices that support 5GHz band seem to connect to the internet. My IoT devices that only connect to 2.4GHz stay disconnected.
2) 2.4GHz LED on the router is off.

My solution is to pull the power cable from the back of AX-88U and plug it back in after 10-15 seconds. When I repeat this action a couple of times, eventually 2.4GHz LED turn on and my IoT devices can connect back. This isn't a very elegant solution to the problem.

Anyone else experiencing similar problem? Got a solution?

I have an AX-88U running as the main router on an AiMesh setup with 2 satellite AX-92Us. All routers are running factory firmware, latest .388 series.

Over last several months, I've noticed that my primary router (AX-88U) does not turn on the 2.4GHz band after a reboot. For example:
1) When I reboot the system via web interface or the Asus app, the router will restart. However 2.4GHz band will not be active.
2) After a power outage, the router seems to restart on it own. And 2.4GHz band will not be active.

I can tell that 2.4GHz band is not active; because:
1) Only devices that support 5GHz band seem to connect to the internet. My IoT devices that only connect to 2.4GHz stay disconnected.
2) 2.4GHz LED on the router is off.

My solution is to pull the power cable from the back of AX-88U and plug it back in after 10-15 seconds. When I repeat this action a couple of times, eventually 2.4GHz LED turn on and my IoT devices can connect back. This isn't a very elegant solution to the problem.

Anyone else experiencing similar problem? Got a solution?

I would re-commission the router from scratch, perhaps try a different firmware version... if you can't recover a normal/working 2.4 radio, then I would assume it's failing/failed.

OE

Are you using Ports 5-8 on that router? If so, try unplugging those LAN cables, rebooting (or better yet, performing an electrical reset after you've removed them), and see if the issue goes away.

If the issue seems resolved, buy a $30 8 port switch and do not plug anything into Ports 5-8 again.

If 'just' doing the above still doesn't resolve the issue for you, a full/nuclear reset is in order, to further test the hardware and know a little better if the hardware is failing or not.

Either way, don't use Ports 5-8 if you want a stable network going forward.

I would re-commission the router from scratch, perhaps try a different firmware version... if you can't recover a normal/working 2.4 radio, then I would assume it's failing/failed.

OE
Let me try recommendation by L&LD and see if the issue goes away.

Factory reset will be my next step.
This isn't a huge issue (now what I know what's actually happening), something I can even live with as is.

Are you using Ports 5-8 on that router? If so, try unplugging those LAN cables, rebooting (or better yet, performing an electrical reset after you've removed them), and see if the issue goes away.

If the issue seems resolved, buy a $30 8 port switch and do not plug anything into Ports 5-8 again.

If 'just' doing the above still doesn't resolve the issue for you, a full/nuclear reset is in order, to further test the hardware and know a little better if the hardware is failing or not.

Either way, don't use Ports 5-8 if you want a stable network going forward.

There are LAN hardwired devices plugged in. Let me try your solution and see what happens.

Anything particular about ports 5-8 that could lead to this problem?

Ports 5-8 are known to cause issues for some people (all people, eventually?) using Asus 8 port routers. Many reports of random issues that magically disappear when those ports are not used anymore. It may be because of how Asus is using 2x 5 port switches, bridged.

Ports 5-8 are known to cause issues for some people (all people, eventually?) using Asus 8 port routers. Many reports of random issues that magically disappear when those ports are not used anymore. It may be because of how Asus is using 2x 5 port switches, bridged.
I've tried this but still no luck. 2.4ghz doesn't turn on.

I tried factory reset on the latest firmware and still no luck.

This is so frustrating. Anything else to try?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!