What's new

Asus RT-N12D1 blacklist override

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pineywoods

New Around Here
Hello folks,

New poster here and also a rookie with networking in general.

I have a YouTube addiction that I am trying to address. My router is Asus RT-N12D1 and I would like to put www.youtube.com on the url blacklist. The problem with that is then my wife can't use it either and she is mighty upset about it. How do I configure the router to allow her phone to be exempt from the url blacklist? Isn't there a way I can use her MAC address to exempt her or maybe assign her a static ip and use that to exempt her.

I am using Windows 10 on a desktop in case you need that information. She is using Android on her phone.

Hello folks,

New poster here and also a rookie with networking in general.

I have a YouTube addiction that I am trying to address. My router is Asus RT-N12D1 and I would like to put www.youtube.com on the url blacklist. The problem with that is then my wife can't use it either and she is mighty upset about it. How do I configure the router to allow her phone to be exempt from the url blacklist? Isn't there a way I can use her MAC address to exempt her or maybe assign her a static ip and use that to exempt her.

I am using Windows 10 on a desktop in case you need that information. She is using Android on her phone.

That router probably just has a simple blacklist. You may need a router/firmware with more 'parental' controls for blocking certain clients from certain Internet content.

If you do block yourself, you will probably unblock yourself to get to content you want/need for some good reason. Perhaps some simple mental rules/mantras you can call on to stop yourself would be more helpful overall.

OE

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, if I had the self-control, I wouldn't go down this route of blocking.

My wife has the router password. So I ask her to log me in and then I make the appropriate changes. So that is not an issue. Resetting the router is not something I do because that inconveniences the whole family.

Anyway, what router should I buy that will allow me to set up a url blacklist and then give specific devices overrides over that blacklist? I don't need anything fancy from a router, just this feature.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, if I had the self-control, I wouldn't go down this route of blocking.

My wife has the router password. So I ask her to log me in and then I make the appropriate changes. So that is not an issue. Resetting the router is not something I do because that inconveniences the whole family.

Anyway, what router should I buy that will allow me to set up a url blacklist and then give specific devices overrides over that blacklist? I don't need anything fancy from a router, just this feature.

The RT-AC68U will give you the parental controls and fine control you need. I would recommend it with the RMerlin firmware installed.

Thanks. Do the RT-AC66U or RT-ACRH17 have similar parental controls? They are a bit cheaper, that is why I ask.

Also, do you know whether AiProtection interfere in some way with using OpenDNS? In other words, can I use both at the same time? Thanks.

Avoid the RT-ACRH17.

There are 2 versions of the RT-AC66U, the old one simply called "RT-AC66U" (from 2012) and a new one called "RT-AC66U_B1" (from 2016). Make sure you don't get the old one.

The RT-AC66U_B1 is actually the same as the RT-AC68U but in a different case and is usually cheaper.