What's new

Asus RT-N56U vs Linksys E4200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dismas

New Around Here
Is it a complete ripoff to pay $30 more for the E4200 when the RT-N56U has better benchmark scores? Also, is there any problem with buying a draft 2.0 wireless n adapter (versus non-draft)? Would a Rosewill RNX-N150UBE Wireless Adapter have any problems with those two routers? Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Performance is only one consideration in choosing a product. Warranty, support, features are other.

There are no more "draft" 11n products. All "draft" products were grandfathered to the released spec when the spec was released.

The Rosewill adapter will work with any N router. But since it is a single-stream N product, the maximum link rate it will produce in 20 MHz mode is 65 Mbps and 150 Mbps in 40 MHz mode. Dual-stream N adapters will produce 130 Mbps and 300 Mbps link rates for 20 and 40 MHz mode, respectively.

I own both of them. I do like the E4200 better because in my condo, it gives me MUCH better 5ghz range. 2.4ghz is equal.

BUT...I've went through 2 E4200's so far, and i have my third one on my way to me. This is the last chance i'll be giving the E4200. Before i just send it back and get a refund, and stick with the asus.

As Tim stated "warranty, support, features are other." I can tell you from first hand experience as a system builder for more than 15 years with Asus technical support I would wait 48 hours or more for a reply from Asus. I purchased the new Asus router myself and had a hell of a time getting through the menus I called, emailed and practically begged Asus for help with the router menus and features. One week and no communications from Asus.

Simply put Asus is barely setup to deal with the OEM market let alone the retail market when it comes to customer service.

However I doubt I would have the paitence to go through a third router from any company.

However I doubt I would have the paitence to go through a third router from any company.

Believe me, if there was just ONE more guy out there that i could find with the same problem i'm having, i would dump the router permanently. this 3rd and last time, i'm gonna try a couple different things and give it one last sha-bang.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!