What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Disconnects

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dempii

Occasional Visitor
Hi.
I have been having problems with my RT-N66U.
It drops the internet at some time and shuts me out completely from the network. Doesn´t matter if I´m connected through my powerline or wireless. So I don´t suspect that it is my internet provider that is having problems.
Tried different firmware versions (latest from ASUS and merlin builds) and even some factory resets. Without any results. And since I´m no expert in networking I haven´t changed any settings besides the password for the wlan.

Hoping someone can help me out since ASUS don´t answer my mails.

Current firmware: 3.0.0.4.374_979

PS: English isn´t my first language so bear with me :)

just to clarify, when your internet drops, can you access the router?

[edit/] should have also asked; tell us everything you know about your internet connection

Last edited:
No I cannot access at all to the router when the connection goes down.
Also sometimes when the connection goes up again the ip for the router have changed. (From 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 and onward to ..3.1 ...4.1

In my city we have a fiber cable provider (Wexnet) and then we chose which internet provider we want. There are different companies that we can chose from.
My internet provider company is "Bahnhof". Checked the website and they haven´t got any disturbances.

if you connect a computer directly to the modem (router removed), what IP does the computer receive?

that's actually what i'm trying to find out, if you connect a computer directly to the modem, does it receive a LAN (10. or 172. or 192.) or WAN IP (something completely different)?

this is with the router disconnected

[edit/] and what is the IP, exactly

Tried now to connect to the fiber modem with ethernet cable. Didn´t get any internet or anything. Guess I have to call them.
I did in this test shut down the router. And unplug all cords leading from/to it.

Spoke to the support and he said that my internet provider only can give out 2 ip addresses at a time. And that my router somehow is working as a switch and not a router.
Not sure if I understood exactly what he meant. But i saw a "route" tab in the LAN settings on the router gui. "Enable static routes" .Set that to yes for now

i think you should reset your router to factory defaults and make sure you are connecting the modem to the WAN port on the router. i think holding down the reset button on the router for 10 seconds or so should be sufficient.

do not connect anything else to the modem if it has more than 1 port available

[edit/]

Otherwise, there are many ways to clear nvram:

• Turn the router on with the WPS button pressed
  • Use the option to revert to factory defaults on the webui
  • (ADVANCED USERS ONLY) do an mtd-erase -d nvram
  • Boot to recovery mode, and use the webui at 192.168.1.1 to clear out nvram

There's another one involving the reset button, but I never used it so I don't remember the exact procedure in this case.

Ok will try and reset the router to factory. But last time I tried that (pressing the factory reset button/in the web gui) it didn´t remove the merlin build that I tried.
But will give it a shot

the merlin build is fine, just need to get you to the default settings

[edit/] when it comes back up, in the webui under the WAN page, change 'dhcp query frequency' to normal

Last edited:
There, reset to factory defaults and installed latest merlin.
Also changed DHCP query frequency to "normal"

Called and talked to my ISP and they said that I´m using to many ip adresses.
They have only 2 for me. So all my devices seems to request a unique ip adress.
So i assume the router is "bridged"?? And how do i setup so that the router is the only device who my ISP will send ip adress to?

Your internet connection comes from a modem or ONT to your RT-N66U and doesn't connect with anything else, correct?

The RT-N66U is setup as a Wireless Router and not as a Repeater or Access Point, correct?

The WAN settings are set appropriately for your ISP, correct?

The LAN settings are set with DHCP enabled, correct?

I don't think you answered sinshiva's questions:

Is the WAN IP on the RT-N66U anything other than 192.168.XXX.XXX or 172.10.XXX.XXX or 172.16.XXX.XXX. In other words; is it a private or a public IP address?

http://whatismyipaddress.com/private-ip

Is the LAN DHCP server in the private address range?

Hope that by answering the above questions you'll get your N66U running properly.

And, I would leave your modem (if that is what you have) bridged; that is the ideal.

i'm not concerned with what his wan ip is, i'm pretty sure it's a wan IP if it's bridged, but i'm not all that familiar with fiber. i suspect he may need to manually set the WAN ip and subnet mask; he may have an exotic subnet, even. wish i could be more helpful, but i think he should probably get a tech from his ISP to come out to his house. there's just not enough information to work with here

sinshiva, sorry I misread your request?

I just wanted to confirm he's connecting to his WAN port. ;)

that i don't know for certain, but i think his router was just requesting a new ip too often and not releasing the old. i think his ISP was just not giving back his old IP and their tech support just made an assumption, but who knows. i had hoped that by setting dhcp query to normal, the old IP might time out and he'd get it back, etc.

another possibility is that he has multiple devices connected to the modem if it has multiple lan ports, etc. and the isp was giving each device a wan ip.

we need more information from both him and his isp to help, i think

another possibility is that he has multiple devices connected to the modem if it has multiple lan ports, etc. and the isp was giving each device a wan ip.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking too (my first check/question in my previous post).

More information is needed...

The fiber switch we have in the basement have 4 lan ports. And the things connected to that is a cable to the router and another cable with powerline that goes to our iptv.

And if you need more specific information about things. Just ask specific what you need to know. I´ll help out as much as I can