What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming most or all of your IoT devices are on 2.4Ghz, make sure
1) Fixed channel and Fixed width of 20MHz
2) Airtime Fairness is disabled
3) Universal Beamforming is disabled

These recommendations have been the baseline for sometime and probably hold true regardless of the major new version.

perhaps this asus faq will be of some help

Got a new AX86U and the upgrade to beta2 was both fast (~2min db update) and seamless.

How many people using this in production... er, production-ish :p home use yet?

Report the bug of AX86U AGAIN: The download speed value of bandwidth monitor is wrong (the value is very low).

The official "stable" firmware has not been updated for Two months. Can I ask when the new version will be released?

Last edited:
Since, I have disabled Random MAC on my S20 phones, it has been 15 days and counting without rebooting my XT8 node and my S20 phones has not encountered incorrect password error when reconnecting or roaming between the XT8s.

So I am going to try reenable the random account on my phone to see if the problem comes back.
Since I activated Random MAC on my S20 Ultra, I had network issues again starting on day 4. Switching back to phone MAC again solved the problem.

Got a new AX86U and the upgrade to beta2 was both fast (~2min db update) and seamless.

How many people using this in production... er, production-ish :p home use yet?

Did you reset the firmware before using it?

Two of us here use RC2-9 on my home AiMesh.

OE

If you are going to disable all the AX features you should have bought an AC, WIFI 5, router. Maybe this is a case of more is not better?

Maybe AX will be/is more viable on its own 6.0 band.

OE

The new firmware is been causing me night mare now. The main router keeps on dropping the wifi. Both leds for 2.4/5 is off. The node is still running wifi but lots of issues connecting i restarted both wifi stays on the main router for a few hours then again goes off.

I'm selling my XT8's. Since IT changes so rapidly, my view on IT products for home use is that if it's not stable, and the promised features still aren't there months after launch, it's time to sell the products and move on. It likely won't get as good as promised ever, and if it ever will, it won't happen before the competition is ahead, and AX wave 2 (assuming it will come) is out. Better sell my XT8s now, versus missing out on new features and added value for competive products, which also makes them (XT8) less valuable if selling them later.

AiMesh 2.0, Wireguard VPN protocol, even such a simple thing as setting different DHCP settings (and DNS) for guest networks is still missing for the most expensive Asus products, such as my 2x Asus XT8. Or what about my previous RT-AC3200, which didn't even get AiMesh (I know, hardware was to blame, still). But 7 years old RT-AC68U has stable AiMesh 2.0.

XT8 don't have any other added value (other than hardware) than 7 years old RT-AC68U. Thats pretty strange. Creds to the old and trusty RT-AC68U. But why should I buy new Asus products when they don't work better than old products, are not prioritized over 7 year old products, and don't have any other added value that make them keep up with the competition?

I'm going back to my trusty, basic Nest Wifi. Yes, it's very basic, it relies on Google cloud services, its' WiFi is slower than XT8, Google "steals" my data etc., but it works, I don't have to reset it for every other new firmware update, and features like VPN, NAS, DNS, switching can be solved by better (than ASUSWRT) standalone products.

Maybe I'll revisit Asus later, but I must say, much hasn't happened since I owned RT-AC3200 and RT-AC68U 3-4 years ago.

(Just for the record, I don't expect new betas or stable fw between 20. december and 4. january.)

Last edited:
The new firmware is been causing me night mare now. The main router keeps on dropping the wifi. Both leds for 2.4/5 is off. The node is still running wifi but lots of issues connecting i restarted both wifi stays on the main router for a few hours then again goes off.

I assume you have an AC88U - AX58U wired AiMesh...

Use AC88U LAN1-4 for the wired backhaul, just in case LAN5-8 have an issue.

If the AC88U is not broadcasting its WiFi, then it's defective or has a firmware issue. I would reset it, upload the same RC2-9 firmware again from a freshly downloaded file, webUI Restore w/Initialize to reset again, and then configure it minimally from scratch.

If still no WiF signals, then it's not working. Try current released firmware next.

OE

I'm selling my XT8's. Since IT changes so rapidly, my view on IT products for home use is that if it's not stable, and the promised features still aren't there months after launch, it's time to sell the products and move on. It likely won't get as good as promised ever, and if it ever will, it won't happen before the competition is ahead, and AX wave 2 (assuming it will come) is out. Better sell my XT8s now, versus missing out on new features and added value for competive products, which also makes them (XT8) less valuable if selling them later.

AiMesh 2.0, Wireguard VPN protocol, even such a simple thing as setting different DHCP settings (and DNS) for guest networks is still missing for the most expensive Asus products, such as my 2x Asus XT8. Or what about my previous RT-AC3200, which didn't even get AiMesh (I know, hardware was to blame, still). But 7 years old RT-AC68U has stable AiMesh 2.0.

XT8 don't have any other added value (other than hardware) than 7 years old RT-AC68U. Thats pretty strange. Creds to the old and trusty RT-AC68U. But why should I buy new Asus products when they don't work better than old products, are not prioritized over 7 year old products, and don't have any other added value that make them keep up with the competition?

I'm going back to my trusty, basic Nest Wifi. Yes, it's very basic, it relies on Google cloud services, its' WiFi is slower than XT8, Google "steals" my data etc., but it works, I don't have to reset it for every other new firmware update, and features like VPN, NAS, DNS, switching can be solved by better (than ASUSWRT) standalone products.

Maybe I'll revisit Asus later, but I must say, much hasn't happened since I owned RT-AC3200 and RT-AC68U 3-4 years ago.

(Just for the record, I don't expect new betas or stable fw between 20. december and 4. january.)

My experience...

WRT54G >> RT-N66U >> RT-AC68U >> 2xRT-AC86U wireless AiMesh and holding

... has been different from yours:

Nest Wifi ← Asus XT8 ← Nest Wifi ← Ubiquiti UDM ← Google WiFi ← Asus RT-AC68U ← Asus RT-AC3200 ← Asus RT-N66U ← Netgear WNDR4000

OE

@o-l-a-v, AX Wave 2 has come and is preparing to leave 'soon'. AXE is shining its beckoning light on the horizon and it's getting brighter every day.

Your reasons and your final decision are not what I would have made or done, but if it works for you...

Going back to a 'compromise' like the Nest sounds like giving up to me. Please don't. :)

I just downloaded and applied Beta RC2-9 (9.0.0.4_386_41157) over top of RC2-8 (9.0.0.4_386_40947) on an RT-AX92U and the router still shows the running version as RC8. Am I missing a step?
I would have like this to work as 1 of the fixes actually apply:
- Fixed WAN LED bug.
Followup: The RC2-9 and RC2-8 have the same exact file size compared to previous versions. Chances are the RC2-9 was compiled with the RRC2-8 data and incorrectly named. I could be wrong, but this could be why the latest beta still shows the older version number even after a factory reset.

@o-l-a-v, AX Wave 2 has come and is preparing to leave 'soon'. AXE is shining its beckoning light on the horizon and it's getting brighter every day.

Your reasons and your final decision are not what I would have made or done, but if it works for you...

Going back to a 'compromise' like the Nest sounds like giving up to me. Please don't. :)

It would be interesting a topic with people sharing real life results with AX clients.
I'm looking for a while for a good laptop with an AX adapter. I love so much my X1 Carbon size and weight, I would definitely consider something the same format with AX WiFi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!