What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my problem if someone can help please.

I have a GT-AX1000 and 4 RT-AX92 on firmware version 9.0.0.4.386_40018 (R5)
my last node RT-AX92 (R5) connected into a Netgear MS510TXPP 8-Port multi-gigabit smart managed switch that just will not work with it, shows up as not connected. I have to go back to firmware RT-AX92U_3.0.0.4_384_9177 for it to connect. What setting in the switch that's not wanting to work with the past 4 betas?
Is it always the same unit?

What happens if you remove one of the other RTs?

Vill this firmware work on the RT-AC66U B1 since it´s supporting the RT-AC68U? At least with the Merlin firmware, these routers share the same fw.

Vill this firmware work on the RT-AC66U B1 since it´s supporting the RT-AC68U? At least with the Merlin firmware, these routers share the same fw.

OE

If it's just me, since updated to 40024, the connection between router and nodes of my 3xAC68 mesh is much worse than before.

When the next release will be available?
I believe there are a lot of people waiting for next RC from ASUS, but all remains quiet on that front. The current RC took a month between releases..Cant see that changing.

Let's hope it SOONISH. @ASUSWRT_2020

Last edited:
Don't rush them people, RC5 was a disaster. I'd rather they take their time and fix as many issues as possible and release a better RC firmware.
For sure....i.e. progression vs regression and resource commitment

Last edited:
Don't rush them people, RC5 was a disaster. I'd rather they take their time and fix as many issues as possible and release a better RC firmware.
I just gleaned what Channer (ASUSWRT_2020) posted over the last 2-3 weeks on what they are planning to do:
  • 22 Sep 2020: In the next release, we will change the AX models to the same SDK and add RT-AX86U, RT-AX58U, RT-AX56U, TUF-AX3000, RT-AX56U
  • 11 Sep 2020: RT-AX86U, RT-AX82U, RT-AX3000, RT-AX58U will upgrade to 386 rc2. The status is similar to RT-AX89X. There are new SDK for these four models and it takes time to do lots of tests to ensure the stability of the new SDK.
  • 10 Sep 2020: Merlin's wireless log is easy to understand and we would refer to this format to modify the wireless log. After internal discussion, current wireless log only shows the router's information and we will add the node's information in the wireless log to let everyone easily understand the wireless and mesh status.
  • etc
Sounds like quite a bit of work for the ASUS team ... I will wait patiently for the next RC release :) that we can all chip in to test it.

Oh, I noticed that there were a number of people having trouble when connecting AiMesh Node(s) to AiMesh Router via a more intelligent "Managed" Switch. So it will be nice if
  • Some users who are more technically competent can figure out what to configure in "a typical" Managed switch so that AiMesh Nodes can work as design
  • Or if Asus's team can tell us what specific(s) not to filter in a Managed switch, assuming if it is configurable.
PS: I am using cheap & dumb "unmanaged" switch and have been spared the problem :).

Last edited:

Still running RC2-5 here... generally stable with minor WiFi client disruption... first build to stay on my routers.

OE

Still running RC2-5 here... generally stable with minor WiFi client disruption... first build to stay on my routers.

OE

Exactly the opposite of my experience. All the previous RC firmwares worked for me with little to no fuss. Funnily enough it's the only firmware that I used a clean install on :D

OE
OE, I also have similar experience for my home network as shown in my signature and found RC2-5 to be generally stable since 11 Sep 2020; except once when my backhaul connection degraded from Wired to Wireless, my workaround was to do a physical power OFF/ON on the offending AiMesh Node. Still monitoring ... where I left all my WiFi and AiMesh NVRAM settings as default.

I have been using RC5 since around release time with three RT-AC68u devices in mesh. No wired backhaul. I have not experienced any significant problems yet.

OE, I also have similar experience for my home network as shown in my signature and found RC2-5 to be generally stable since 11 Sep 2020; except once when my backhaul connection degraded from Wired to Wireless, my workaround was to do a physical power OFF/ON on the offending AiMesh Node. Still monitoring ... where I left all my WiFi and AiMesh NVRAM settings as default.

I clean installed RC2-5 and then did the new AiMesh 2.0 system reboot. It's been relatively trouble-free since although TuneIn streaming does drop from time to time... hard to say what is causing that... not seeing anything similar with SlingTV and HBOMax and local HDHomeRun TV tuner to Android and PC apps. Overall, this user's confidence has increased with time... that's my most useful measurement.

OE

Will Lira trio also be updated to aimesh 2.0? I'm not talking about next release but about next few months? Or it will not get any more updates because it is discontinued?
What's interesting is that the fate of Lyra models has been questioned a few times in this conversation and @ASUSWRT_2020 hasn't responded to that question at all. They have responded to the fate of other router models not listed in these RC builds though, such as the RT-AC1900.

Alsmost feels like the problem is being ignored 'till it goes away :)

After going back for a few days to Merlins 384.19, I changed my home setup once more with complete fresh installs of RC2-4 on 2 RT-AC88U (Master + Node) and now using a wireless backhaul. Suprisingly this setup is running very stable, that means now after 4 days log is clean, not restarts. For sure waiting for a new release, but for now it is working. No complaints from my "end users".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!