What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ASUSWRT_2020 thanks for this latest RC2-B9, smooth “dirty” upgrade on my 4 X RT-AC68U units in AP mode, 1 x Parent and 3 X Nodes.

Questions:-

* How do I turn off the LEDs on the main Parent unit? I can see how to do it on the Nodes (in 2 places actually)?

* Should turning off the LEDs now stick as OFF when you Reboot? I think it still doesn’t? Is this a bug?
I use iOS, but this earlier post talks about how to use a script in jffs for persistence

BTW binding works with more than 9 devices now.

This is after factory reset and changing router IP to 192.168.1.1.
A request. Please make 192.168.1.1 as default IP after factory reset. Having 192.168.50.1 is plain annoyance and would hardly help with security.

Makes little difference to anyone who does not use 192.168.1.0/24 as the LAN address space.

Also, defaulting to such a common IP range such as 192.168.1.0/24 tends to cause issues as people are increasingly using VPNs. This frequently causes routing conflicts as too many networks reuse it. Asus using a less common IP range avoids that (unless of course both networks are on Asus hardware, but then there's only so much that can be done if network administrators are not taking the time to configure things with that in mind...)

So, using 192.168.50.0/24 by default is a good thing.

Also, defaulting to such a common IP range such as 192.168.1.0/24 tends to cause issues as people are increasingly using VPNs. This frequently causes routing conflicts as too many networks reuse it. Asus using a less common IP range avoids that (unless of course both networks are on Asus hardware, but then there's only so much that can be done if network administrators are not taking the time to configure things with that in mind...)

So, using 192.168.50.0/24 by default is a good thing.
True but let the paranoid chaps configure it at later stage. For 90% people, they are fine with default IP range of 192.168.1.1 and it makes configuration of router faster if reset.

Using RC8 and AX88U as primary router plus 3 AX92 as nodes, I tried about every wifi setup (smart connect or 2 different ssid's for 2.4 and 5 ghz) but i'm stuck to a max wifi speed of 400-450/mb/s with AC clients or AX clients....
I Hope it's not a limitation of 2 bands router VS 3 bands nodes... I know 450 mb is good but it seems to be not enought to stream 67 GB RIPS and it "bothers" me not to optimise my AX "pricey" setup.
Maybe a RC8 limitation ?

Anyone as an explannation or a solution ? Please ?

Tried AiMesh again today but not with AiMesh 2.0. I just plugged in my AiMesh node RT-AC86U (WAN) into the main router RT-AX86U (LAN), have a couple switches in between,
then added the RT-AC86U node via the automatic add feature in the RT-AX86U AiMesh menu... so far so good.
Then noticed that the Ethernet/wired option didn't add any clients at first, only worked in Auto/wireless, rebooted both router and AiMesh node, then two iPhones connected but at low speeds even though it says 5GHz, max 200mbps on a 1Gb internet connection....my iPad didn't connect at all...
I gave up quickly, too quickly?
Is this new AiMesh 2.0 better with this, wondering if I should flash both AX86U and AC86U with this new firmware?
Advice?

Update 2020/12/01(9.0.0.4.386.41157)
QoS issues on XD4:
1. The download speed drops from 950Mbps to 250-300Mbps (measured by SpeedTest on a wired computer) once the QoS enabled, no matter which QoS type to choose, or having just one rule with 100% passthrough, or even with no rules at all.
2. Unable to choose a device with the apostrophe in its name, kinda "Joe's phone".

True but let the paranoid chaps configure it at later stage. For 90% people, they are fine with default IP range of 192.168.1.1 and it makes configuration of router faster if reset.

I don't have a VPN and would rather use Google DNS and DDNS, so I think the paranoid label doesn't apply.
For 100% of those who are going to factory reset a router, changing a single device's IP isn't going to be a huge part of the prep and setup.
Since it does seem to bother you so, why not switch your network to 192.168.50.0/24? Presto! It'll be just as fast as you remember it being.

Impressive list of routers to get AiMesh 2.0.

To stay competative I'd suggest following features:
  • VLANs. Ubiquiti Unifi and Cisco Meraki Go have it. With ability to assign both ethernet ports (trunk or single) and ESSIDs/ WiFi (single).
  • Wireguard VPN protocol.
  • Dedicated IoT ESSID, disabled by default.
  • PiHole/ dns sink hole/ dns adblock built in.
  • New fresh modern web gui, like Advanced Tomato/ Fresh Tomato.
  • More controls for firmware auto update, like defer x days after new stable release before updating, maintenance windows, whether to notify in Asus router app, maybe require confirmation in app before auto update.
  • Cake QOS.
  • "Smart" QoS for specific use cases, like gaming, VoIP (like Google/ Nest WiFi).
  • Daily speed test with history, to see if ISP delivers (like Google/ Nest WiFi)
  • For triband rouers in regular router or AP mode (like my XT8): Exclude one radio from smart band steering. I'd like to use 5ghz2 as "backhaul" to my 2nd XT8 in media bridge mode.
  • Allow/ add option for manual firmware upgrade on unconfigured routers/ straight after factory reset, in web gui. Could save people quite some time (instead of configure -> upgrade -> factory reset -> configure, just upgrade + factory reset in same step -> configure).

Last edited:
May I ask if there's a chance that in AP mode there might ever be the possibility of having vlan tagging for the guest network? I really like the XT8s but not having that limits it's usability in AP mode, for me at least.

VLAN is in 2021 roadmap.
For the generic user, VLAN is very hard to understand and causes lots of problems. We plan to make network group management instead of VLAN.
It will include guest network, bandwidth limiter ... etc.
It is not an easy project but will bring benefits to most users.

Dirty upgraded on two RT-AC5300's to 41157 version - went really smooth... and so far - about 2 hours with one 5300 as a Airmesh 2.0 node with about 45 clients and no issues so far.

VLAN is in 2021 roadmap.
For the generic user, VLAN is very hard to understand and causes lots of problems. We plan to make network group management instead of VLAN.
It will include guest network, bandwidth limiter ... etc.
It is not an easy project but will bring benefits to most users.

@ASUSWRT_2020
This is very exciting and interesting news, thanks for letting us know!

Dirty upgraded on two RT-AC5300's to 41157 version - went really smooth... and so far - about 2 hours with one 5300 as a Airmesh 2.0 node with about 45 clients and no issues so far.

Do you have Guest Network 1 (2.4GHz) enabled?
If not, will you have time to test it (enable it, get some devices connect to it, then wait a bit to see if the internet gets disconnected)? Hope you can help to confirm the problem I experienced on RT-AC5300. Thanks.

Impressive list of routers to get AiMesh 2.0.

To stay competative I'd suggest following features:
  • VLANs. Ubiquiti Unifi and Cisco Meraki Go have it. With ability to assign both ethernet ports (trunk or single) and ESSIDs/ WiFi (single).
  • Wireguard VPN protocol.
  • Dedicated IoT ESSID, disabled by default.
  • PiHole/ dns sink hole/ dns adblock built in.
  • New fresh modern web gui, like Advanced Tomato/ Fresh Tomato.
  • More controls for firmware auto update, like defer x days after new stable release before updating, maintenance windows, whether to notify in Asus router app, maybe require confirmation in app before auto update.
  • Cake QOS.
  • "Smart" QoS for specific use cases, like gaming, VoIP (like Google/ Nest WiFi).
  • Daily speed test with history, to see if ISP delivers (like Google/ Nest WiFi)
  • For triband rouers in regular router or AP mode (like my XT8): Exclude one radio from smart band steering. I'd like to use 5ghz2 as "backhaul" to my 2nd XT8 in media bridge mode.
  • Allow/ add option for manual firmware upgrade on unconfigured routers/ straight after factory reset, in web gui. Could save people quite some time (instead of configure -> upgrade -> factory reset -> configure, just upgrade + factory reset in same step -> configure).
@o-l-a-v really thanks for this wish list. Some items are in 2021 roadmap and I would discuss with engineers again to rearrange the developer resource.

Notice a bug in Asus router app for android, but probably app downloaded from apple devices are affected as well. Traffic Statistics in app does not report any traffic download or upload which is traveling over guest network. However, it works fine when connected to primary Wi-Fi and report usage correctly. Also, can we add some sort of identifier to make it easy to see which is download and upload, aside from color coding found in app for real time graph.

Router is RT-AX88U and app version 1.0.0.6.4

Last edited:
5. Fixed RT-AC88U/3100 ethernet backhaual bugs.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Confirmed. My 88Us actually are working great now. With RC2-8 and earlier one or both of them would be completely frozen after installing RC firmware. Now with RC2-9 I can finally try AiMesh 2.0 and see how the other half lives ;)

Experienced an issue related to device binding icon ... probably caused by Asus router app IOS version (1.0.0.6.2). Here are the steps to reproduce it:
1. bind a device to a node (any node) - you will see a bind icon
2. give it a name under static DNS (not sure if this step is necessary)
3. turn the device off (so that it appears in the offline device list)
4. run Asus router app (IOS)
5. tap on "Devices" tab
6. Swipe left to remove the device from the offline device list, and select "Remove ALL"
7a. Reconnect the device, bind it to a different node, no problems.
7b. Bind the device again to the same node in step 1. It seems the device is connected to the node, but the the bind icon is missing. To fix it, I had to ssh to the router to reset the nvram for binding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!