What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially the sucky logs display. Merlins are much nicer.

I also need it to support VPN "Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel" like Merlin does

Asus has their own design which is called VPN Fusion. At the moment VPN Fusion is only available for GT models, you'd have to convince Asus to also offer it to non-GT users.

Note that their implementation is slightly different from mine however. Instead of having rules per users, they just have one global rule list, where you select a client, and set it to route through the VPN client that you chose. It's not as flexible, but it's easier to configure.

I am having an issue with RC6 where my node will stop forwarding the connection to my external DHCP server (piHole). So my devices will connect, attempt to get DHCP, and then disconnect because no IP. Rebooting the node will resolve the issue. This was from a dirty upgrade, so I will reset the to devices this weekend to see if this resolves the issue.

I am having an issue with RC6 where my node will stop forwarding the connection to my external DHCP server (piHole). So my devices will connect, attempt to get DHCP, and then disconnect because no IP. Rebooting the node will resolve the issue. This was from a dirty upgrade, so I will reset the to devices this weekend to see if this resolves the issue.
I am also using PiHole as a DHCP server on RC6 and to date, I am not having the issue which you have detailed. I did though do a reset and manual rebuild of all, on the loading of RC6. Been up nearly a week now without any issues. A reset and rebuild of your devices would therefore be a good/advantageous exercise to go with.

Last edited:
Asus has their own design which is called VPN Fusion. At the moment VPN Fusion is only available for GT models, you'd have to convince Asus to also offer it to non-GT users.

Note that their implementation is slightly different from mine however. Instead of having rules per users, they just have one global rule list, where you select a client, and set it to route through the VPN client that you chose. It's not as flexible, but it's easier to configure.

Thanks, I will look into it - from what you say it might be enough for my needs but I would not move away from Merlin lightly. I value the fact that it makes these features available to me (i.e. being only semi-literate in this stuff) whilst still encouraging me to learn something. Moreover, it has also been rock-solid for years. Thank you.

Last edited:
Because of the SDK integration issue, this version does not include ZenWiFi XT8, ZenWiFi XD4, RT-AX86U, RT-AX82U, RT-AX58U, TUF-AX3000, RT-AX56U

I am curious, what are exactly the problems with the SDK integration? Any estimation when my XT8 will be allowed to play along with the rest?

What exactly is different about this SDK compared to the other models?

Given that the ZenWiFi XT8, ZenWiFi XD4, RT-AX86U, RT-AX82U, RT-AX58U, TUF-AX3000 and RT-AX56U are all very recent router models, it is really surprising that the models cannot be integrated more easily into the 386 line. @ASUSWRT_2020 had indicated sometime earlier that there was an issue presumably with Broadcom WIFI drivers. Like you, I am also keen to kick the tires on the 386 builds on my RT-AX58U. Maybe @ASUSWRT_2020 will provide an update on what's happening.

I am also using PiHole as a DHCP server on RC6 and to date, I am not having the issue which you have detailed. I did though do a reset and manual rebuild of all, on the loading of RC6. Been up nearly a week now without any issues. A reset and rebuild of your devices would therefore be a good/advantageous exercise to go with.
Thanks for sharing your experience. That makes me hopeful that the reset will resolve my issue!

Nice issue I just encountered.
I have 3 devices that can do only 2.4GHz. One was connected and well, the other 2 were not.
Tried to force one to reconnect. No luck.
Tried to reconfigure the wifi on that client. No luck and no logs on the router.
Reboot the client. No luck. The other client start working after a client reboot.
The first client connected to my GT-AC5300 only after a router reboot.
I had feedback send before rebooting the router. Not much hope though.
Sometimes my router gets crazy when is closing to 2 days uptime. Before this beta program I had a weekly reload, otherwise some things were getting crazy. With this beta I have a reload schedule for every other day. But sometimes even that is not enough :(

Is the wireless connection log still next to useless on Asus stock firmware in this branch? I wish they would implement something similar to Merlin, his wireless connection log is so much better than stock.

I have 3 devices that can do only 2.4GHz. One was connected and well, the other 2 were not.
Tried to reconfigure the wifi on that client. No luck and no logs on the router.
Reboot the client. No luck. The other client start working after a client reboot.
Sometimes my router gets crazy when is closing to 2 days uptime. Before this beta program I had a weekly reload, otherwise some things were getting crazy. With this beta I have a reload schedule for every other day. But sometimes even that is not enough :(
There are some 2.4Ghz devices that are a pain because they often require reboot/power cycle to get them to connect when you make router changes. These "bad" devices include Google Speaker, Ring Doorbell, Wyze Cameras, and very occasionally Amazon devices in my experience

So had enough time to play with RC2-6 and it seems to be problematic after nearly a week of running it. Seems like the wifi gets congested and either devices disconnect or become sluggish or unresponsive. Tried a Shield TV 2019, and streaming would lock up or become unresponsive. In apps like Netflix, the shows would have a blank/black block where the artwork/preview should be. My Son, said laptop was having connectivity issues. My Wifes iphone 11 cannot connect to the Wifi. Mesh wifi seems to stay connected but at times was dropping speed and possibly packets.

Almost there but not yet the daily driver we want/need. Needs work done to the wifi drivers/hardware within the firmware. For now I will go back to the RTM firmware.

If I want to go back from this firmware (RC2-6) to official stock, do I simply flash stock on top and then factory reset?

If I want to go back from this firmware (RC2-6) to official stock, do I simply flash stock on top and then factory reset?

Yes. I favor using the webUI Restore/Initialize to reset.

OE

I had one device that couldn't connect. I bind it to nearest AiMesh node and problem was solved. No reboot was needed. My IoT devices have manually configured IP. With that settings everything works stable.
Log before bind to node (repeat every one minute):
Code:
<30>1 2020-10-15T12:56:26+02:00 RT-AC86U-B9D0-BD86CEF-C dnsmasq-dhcp 3513 - - dnsmasq-dhcp[3513]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) 84:f3:eb:5e:15:8f
<30>1 2020-10-15T12:56:26+02:00 RT-AC86U-B9D0-BD86CEF-C dnsmasq-dhcp 3513 - - dnsmasq-dhcp[3513]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.5.36 84:f3:eb:5e:15:8f
After binding:
Code:
<8>1 2020-10-15T12:56:46+02:00 RT-AC86U-B9D0-BD86CEF-C roamast - - - roamast: eth5: sta-ap-band-bind deauth [84:f3:eb:5e:15:8f]
<8>1 2020-10-15T12:56:46+02:00 RT-AC86U-B9D0-BD86CEF-C roamast - - - roamast: eth5: remove client [84:f3:eb:5e:15:8f] from monitor list
<13>1 2020-10-15T12:56:46+02:00 RT-AC86U-B9D0-BD86CEF-C wlceventd - - - wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(469): eth5: Deauth_ind 84:F3:EB:5E:15:8F, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
<13>1 2020-10-15T12:56:47+02:00 RT-AC86U-6F30-BD86CEF-R wlceventd - - - wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): wl0.1: Auth 84:F3:EB:5E:15:8F, status: Successful (0)
<13>1 2020-10-15T12:56:47+02:00 RT-AC86U-6F30-BD86CEF-R wlceventd - - - wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(534): wl0.1: Assoc 84:F3:EB:5E:15:8F, status: Successful (0)
<13>1 2020-10-15T12:56:47+02:00 RT-AC86U-B9D0-BD86CEF-C wlceventd - - - wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): eth5: Disassoc 84:F3:EB:5E:15:8F, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
<30>1 2020-10-15T12:56:47+02:00 RT-AC86U-B9D0-BD86CEF-C dnsmasq-dhcp 3513 - - dnsmasq-dhcp[3513]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) 84:f3:eb:5e:15:8f
<30>1 2020-10-15T12:56:47+02:00 RT-AC86U-B9D0-BD86CEF-C dnsmasq-dhcp 3513 - - dnsmasq-dhcp[3513]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.5.36 84:f3:eb:5e:15:8f
<30>1 2020-10-15T12:56:47+02:00 RT-AC86U-B9D0-BD86CEF-C dnsmasq-dhcp 3513 - - dnsmasq-dhcp[3513]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.5.36 84:f3:eb:5e:15:8f
<30>1 2020-10-15T12:56:47+02:00 RT-AC86U-B9D0-BD86CEF-C dnsmasq-dhcp 3513 - - dnsmasq-dhcp[3513]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.5.36 84:f3:eb:5e:15:8f espRFLinkMQTT1

I have an issue thats been around for the past few beta rc versions. I have an AX11000 and two XT8 nodes. Sometimes I notice that the wifi speed on my phone drops right down to a maximum of 50mb. I have a tasker widget which just performs a reassociate and this instantly resolves the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? I know the advice is to reset etc and I haven't done this. My configuration is quite extensive and everything else seems very stable so I am a bit loathed to do this.

I have an issue thats been around for the past few beta rc versions. I have an AX11000 and two XT8 nodes. Sometimes I notice that the wifi speed on my phone drops right down to a maximum of 50mb. I have a tasker widget which just performs a reassociate and this instantly resolves the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? I know the advice is to reset etc and I haven't done this. My configuration is quite extensive and everything else seems very stable so I am a bit loathed to do this.
I have. I would see my speedtest be around 50mb as well, disconnect and reconnect and bam, I'm up and running at full speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!