What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want to try and enable "Connection Priority" of "1G WAN first" under the settings of "Management" for the each/the node, from the new AiMesh menu, to see if that works, after disabling "Ethernet Backhaul Mode" of course. Once done, reboot the nodes and Main together. AiMesh menu, "System Settings", "System Reboot". I have found it to be a lot more stable than using the "Ethernet Backhaul Mode".

View attachment 29159

I played around with this more today and it’s pretty strange.

If I have Ethernet Backhaul Mode DISABLED and set the node to “1G WAN first” or ‘auto”, everything works fine.

If have have Ethernet Backhaul Mode ENABLED, everything works until the system is rebooted. After a reboot, nothing will connect to the node ... except my wife’s Galaxy 8 phone. That’s the only device (out of 24 in the house) that will connect to the node with that setting enabled after a reboot. Even if I stand in the same room as the node with another device, it will still connect to the main router instead.

I can’t explain this behaviour at all, other than to think it’s a bug.

Last edited:
I can relate, but that is where Firewalla comes in ;) The thing is amazing!
Not to stray ot here but I don’t get the relevance of Firewalla. I don’t keep my home automation devices off of WiFi due to security concerns...‍

Update 2020/12/31 (9.0.0.4.386.41535)

This version includes
ZenWiFi XT8, XD4, CT8
GT series: GT-AX11000, GT-AC5300, GT-AC2900
RT series: RT-AX88U, RT-AX92U, RT-AX86U, RT-AX82U, RT-AX58U, TUF-AX3000, RT-AX56U, RT-AX55
RT series: RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U

Due to compile problem, not in this version
ZenWiFi CD6, Lyra, Lyra mini, Lyra trio

Change log
- Fixed Let's encrypt register issue.
- Fixed packet loop problem in ethernet backhaul.
- To improve security, RT-AC68U starts to encrypt the NVRAM from this version.
Known issue: RT-AC68U needs to be reset to default to resolve the login problem after upgrading to this beta version.
If you want to downgrade to the previous version, you need to do it with rescue mode.
We are looking for a solution to this problem if you worry about this known issue, please wait for a further version and not update to this version.

Happy new year!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 2020/12/01(9.0.0.4.386.41157)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1D4X3k9GXxkiRQkaO1huQGnCAsQeIvokC?usp=sharing

This version inclouds
ZenWiFi: XT8(RT-AX95Q), XD4(RT-AX56U_XD4), CD6(RT-AC59_CD6)
GT series: GT-AX11000, GT-AC5300, GT-AC2900
RT series: RT-AX88U, RT-AX92U, RT-AX86U, RT-AX82U, RT-AX58U, TUF-AX3000, RT-AX56U, RT-AX55

Change log
1. Fixed WAN LED bug.
2. Fixed WiFi onboarding issues.
3. Fixed mac filter issue bugs.
4. Fixed time schedule bugs.
5. Fixed RT-AC88U/3100 ethernet backhaual bugs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 2020/11/12 (9.0.0.4.386.40947)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UHZwR1buG-nei8fne9d9OktOS2gZy6Hs?usp=sharing

This version includes 19 models:
ZenWiFi: XT8(RT-AX95Q), XD4(RT-AX56U_XD4), CD6(RT-AC59_CD6)
GT series: GT-AX11000,GT-AC5300, GT-AC2900

Change log
  1. Fixed Ethernet backhaul through switch issue
  2. RT-AX86 and GT-AX11000 support 2.5G port as ethernet backhaul
  3. Fixed RT-AX55 firmware update issue.
  4. Fixed speedtest issue for android app.
  5. Fixed mesh node guest network internet connection issue.
  6. Fixed ap mode guest network issue.
  7. Added security patch
  8. Fixed repeater mode UI bug.

Update 2020/10/22 (9.0.0.4.386.40577)

This version includes 18 models:
ZenWiFi: XT8(RT-AX95Q), XD4(RT-AX56U_XD4)
GT series: GT-AX11000,GT-AC5300, GT-AC2900

Change log
1. Changed SDK and support more AX models.
2. You can see the speed test at the router app with firmware 386.40477 and the latest app on the app store/google play. Speed test page is at router app Settings tab --> QoS --> Internet Speed
3. Fixed Speedtest UI bugs
4. Enhance backhaul optimization algorithm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 2020/10/08
If you want to test the new feature, Instant Guard.
Please check this thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-instant-guard-ios-public-beta.66814/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 2020/10/06 386 rc2-6 (9.0.0.4_386_40322)

This version includes GT-AX11000, RT-AX92U, RT-AX88U, GT-AC5300, RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC86U, GT-AC2900, RT-AC86U, and RT-AC68U

Because of the SDK integration issue, this version does not include ZenWiFi XT8, ZenWiFi XD4, RT-AX86U, RT-AX82U, RT-AX58U, TUF-AX3000, RT-AX56U

Change logs:

- Fixed wireless backhaul retry issue after set the ethernet backhaul mode.
- Fixed slow web UI problem.
- Fixed UI problem in network map --> view list --> interface --> guest network
- Adjusted prefer AP connection mechanism.
- Fixed stack overflow vulnerability.

New Family interface in ASUS router App.
router firmware greater or equal to 9.0.0.4_386_40322
ASUS Router App greater or equal to iOS v1.0.0.5.75
Android greater or equal to v1.0.0.5.74

View attachment 26693

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 2020/09/11 386 rc2-5 (9.0.0.4_386_40018)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Sqzva4uK7DTrp7oV93__LR6FZoDOckrN?usp=sharing

Change logs:
1. Add important patches for AiMesh backhaul and there are two FAQs for ethernet backhaul
What is Ethernet Backhaul Mode/connection priority in AiMesh system and how to set up in different scenarios?
[Wireless] How to setup ASUS AiMesh or ZenWiFi Mesh Ethernet backhaul under different conditions (Advanced setup with network switch)?

2. Clients which connect to the guest network can be viewed in the network map -->view list --> interface
Most of the routers have three sets of guest network and each set has 2.4G and 5G-1 (triband model has 5G-2)
View attachment 26147

3. Support IPSec IKE v1 and IKE v2, and you can use Windows 10 native VPN client program to connect to the router's IPSec VPN server.
The Windows 10 new FAQ is in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033576

4. Fixed stack overflow, File Traversal, XSS vulnerabilities.

Support models:
GT-AX11000
GT-AC5300
GT-AC2900
RT-AX92U
RT-AX88U
RT-AC86U
RT-AC68U
RT-AC3100
ZenWiFi XT8 (RT-AX95Q)

RT-AC5300 and RT-AC88U had some errors and we are going to fix it. The firmware will upload to the same link after fixed the problem

======================================================================================

Update 2020/08/14
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1twgcnXo_ywSZG2GU67V6Zl_T0RAyiBvb

Change logs:
1. Fix AiMesh page Tx/Rx 0 issue.
2. Add more wifi stability patches.
3. Apply new backhaul optimization mechanism.
4. Apply new client device recognize rules.

Now node which supports team port (link aggregation) can be enabled here:
View attachment 25411

In AiMesh client list, click the "chain" icon, you will be able to select a preferable AP for this device. (* note: it's prefer ap, not bind)
View attachment 25412

Update 2020/08/06

386 rc2-3 firmware is in this link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/154vHdrYh_rGP_qFooHgAkzXSJchge7Ue?usp=sharing

Change log:
1. Fixed node 5G connection problem (lots of complaints about this bug)
2. Improved IoT compatibility

known issues
1. Tx and Rx rate is still 0 in AiMesh Network fronthaul/backhaul information. We will fix this in the next build.
2. No RT-AX88U and RT-AX92U in this release. We are going to fix the build error problem.
3. Firmware extension numbers are different for different models. The range is from 386_39339 to 386_39348

Current Support models:
GT-AX11000
GT-AC5300
GT-AC2900
ZenWiFi XT8 (RT-AX95Q)
RT-AC5300
RT-AC88U
RT-AC3100
RT-AC86U
RT-AC68U

The latest version (9.0.0.4.386.41535) not very stable in my environment with AX-68X and TUF3000. The TUF3000 as a mesh node, the wifi becomes not able to connect with password failure until I switched off Smart Connect completely. 2nd Ethernet Backhaul becomes Yellow from Green after a while even reboot the node.

WMar

I have a GT-AC5300 (main) and RT-AC3100 (node) using AiMesh. Both are connected using ethernet. I'm having two issues with the 386_41535 firmware.

1 - Enabling 'Ethernet Backhaul Mode' seems to stop devices from connecting to the AC3100. Everything just connects to the AC5300. The moment I disable the feature, devices start connecting to the AC3100 again. I did verify the wifi settings before enabling the feature.

2 - After upgrading, I suddenly had a device called 'Anonymous' appear on my network. I know for a fact it wasn't there before the upgrade, as I have an export of all my devices from right before the upgrade. It was the first device to connect after the upgrade and the MAC address doesn't match a known manufacturer. Could this be a virtual interface for the wifi backhaul?

I also have a GT-AC5300 but my node it's a RT-AX88U. I use and need to use "Ethernet Backhaul Mode" to release the 2nd 5GHz radio from GT.
I don't have a problem with attaching clients to node. I had this problem in first couple of releases when node would not accept any wireless client. But Asus was quick to fix this issue.
It may be obvious, but what happens when you release node? Once it comes up, it allows clients to connect?
Can you connect a wired client to node? It works?

I would factory reset the node and re-connect it to Aimesh.
If you continue to have the problem, I would strongly recommend to send feedback to Asus directly from router's web page.

Regarding Anonymous device, the fact it's not a know manufacturer indicates it's a random MAC address from an Android 10/11 phone or an iPhone. Depending the phone model, you should disable that feature for your home SSID. In Android on the settings for your SSID, you'll find an option called "Privacy". It's not global, it's per SSID, so when you connect to other networks it will use a random MAC address by default.
I don't know how is for iPhone, but a Google search will definitely provide the answer.

The latest version (9.0.0.4.386.41535) not very stable in my environment with AX-68X and TUF3000. The TUF3000 as a mesh node, the wifi becomes not able to connect with password failure until I switched off Smart Connect completely. 2nd Ethernet Backhaul becomes Yellow from Green after a while even reboot the node.

WMar
I get something similar, where none of my 5Ghz devices will connect to the node with ethernet backhaul turned on.. This used to happen with the Phones set to to Random MAC address on the Wireless.. Now even with that turned off, the same is happening .. Bad password, but it stays solid green for the connections.. Turning ethernet backhaul off, rebooting the node, waiting 5-10 mins during which a few 2.4GHz devices connect to the node, then rebooting the main router allows the 5GHz devices to either be reconnected via the GUI or gradually they will migrate to the node by themselves..

and disable both “AMPDU RTS” and “Optimize AMPDU Aggregation”
Just out of curiosity and trying to improve performance/experiment, I tried to disable "Optimize AMPDU Aggregation”. That didn't go so well with my Solaredge inverters wifi, so I had to turn it back to enable again.
My question is, what does "AMPDU RTS", affect, and what to gain to disable it? I searched G but didn't get a clear answer. On my 5Ghz I already have it disabled.

Hmm... does rt-ax58u have speedtest? Seems it does not, I can't find it. On my rt-ax88u, that one has.
[/QUOTE
Code:
http://router.asus.com/AdaptiveQoS_InternetSpeed.asp

Yes tried that but it does not seem to work.
1610031847906.png

That's too bad...is it coming later or do you know if this is how it's going to be. I hope it will come.
Why do you consider this an important feature? It has been shown to be an unreliable test (due to CPU limitations of running this directly on the router), on fast connections (anything over 300-500 mbps).

Run the test instead on a wired ethernet connected PC for more accurate results.

Why do you consider this an important feature? It has been shown to be an unreliable test (due to CPU limitations of running this directly on the router), on fast connections (anything over 300-500 mbps).

Run the test instead on a wired ethernet connected PC for more accurate results.
+1!
Actually it's more a useless than a useful feature. At least at speeds over 500mbps it's mostly useless on most if not all models.

Just out of curiosity and trying to improve performance/experiment, I tried to disable "Optimize AMPDU Aggregation”. That didn't go so well with my Solaredge inverters wifi, so I had to turn it back to enable again.
My question is, what does "AMPDU RTS", affect, and what to gain to disable it? I searched G but didn't get a clear answer. On my 5Ghz I already have it disabled.
Sure, please visit this link for a good overview of AMPDU.

Basically both “AMPDU RTS” and “Optimize AMPDU Aggregation” are designed to improve 2.4 ghz Wi-Fi stability and connectivity by adding extra layers of error checking and eliminating Wi-Fi “overhead” from radio transmitters, Bluetooth devices, etc.

As said previously, if you live in a crowded or urban environment (especially apartment complexes or office buildings) with three or more SSIDs that pop up during a Wi-Fi search, or if you’re running many 2.4 ghz devices/hubs on your network (think IOT, Sonos, Hue, Lutron, SmartHome aggregators like Wink, cordless phones, and 2.4 ghz bandwidth crosstalkers like Zigbee) then you’re likely to experience greater 2.4 ghz stability with both options turned on.

If you are in a more isolated setting and rely on minimal latency times (think gaming, VoIP, some real-time GPS applications and similar time-critical operations), then you may experience improved responsiveness with AMPDU turned off—because by definition its more vigilant error-checking may slightly reduce response times, but not overall network speeds in general). A reasonable analogy is the increased latency times found with satellite internet (albeit to a MUCH lesser degree)—ping times may be delayed but speeds should be relatively unaffected. In most cases the delay is so subtle that you won’t notice it in the majority of typical configurations (I have both on and get 960 mpbs downloads on a Gigabit ISP).

And if you don’t have that many devices or nearby networks competing with your 2.4 ghz bandwidth, you should definitely turn AMPDU off because it will offer you no benefits!

Finally, Z-Wave devices (e.g. ADT, Ring, Smartthings, Chamberlain, Yale, Honeywell, many others) do not interfere with the 2.4 ghz bandwidth; they utilize the 908.42 MHz band.

I don’t even recall whether AMPDU is on or off by default. If anyone else has info/input on this topic I welcome it!

Maybe on some routers. on AX86U I get ~940mbps up and down on my fiber connection, not different than directly on the ATT modem.

well maybe not that important. But not 100% useless. I would like to test internet speed sometimes remotely on our cabin, where we have lte connection only. To see if the problem is with the wifi or only the internet speeds are slow or not for example.

well maybe not that important. But not 100% useless. I would like to test internet speed sometimes remotely on our cabin, where we have lte connection only. To see if the problem is with the wifi or only the internet speeds are slow or not for example.

Plus you can easily log a speed measurement for future reference to compare performance over time. At some point, all routers will likely be fast enough.

OE

I don’t even recall whether AMPDU is on or off by default. If anyone else has info/input on this topic I welcome it!
First thanks for your thoroughly answer!
AMPDU RTS is enabled by default on my RT-AX86U, I have turned it off at 5gHz, and will try disable it on 2,4 as well.
I live in a rural environment, with just two other 2,4 networks 20 respectively 50 meters away. But I also use Philips Hue (Zigbee) with about 50 units.
Optimize AMPDU Aggregation is disabled, but I couldn't enable "WMM No-Acknowledgement" due to my Solaredge Inverter loosing wifi every time I tried enabling it.
WiFi professional settings as enclosed screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 19.11.12.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 19.11.12.png
    163.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 19.15.36.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 19.15.36.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
That's too bad...is it coming later or do you know if this is how it's going to be. I hope it will come.

I don't know, you'd have to ask Asus. I only know that currently, they explicitely disable it for these two models, don't know if it was temporary, by mistake, or deliberate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!