What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.266.23b is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

All six firmwares have been recompiled and reuploaded. 266.23b contains the fixed HTML pages which I re-tested with IE9, Firefox 17 and Chrome 24 Beta.

Nothing else was changed, so no need to redownload and reflash if you don't use Firefox or Per Device traffic monitoring.

Per Device traffic monitoring would randomly stop working. Looks like the Netfilter traffic accounting module is not compatible with HW acceleration (aka CTF). CTF would frequently start bypassing the accounting rules, so no traffic was getting tracked. Now, enabling Per Device traffic monitoring will also disable HW acceleration. Sorry, there is no way around this, CTF is closed source.

This seems to not be an issue with Shibby's Tomato and CTF enabled...will test more to verify.

This seems to not be an issue with Shibby's Tomato and CTF enabled...will test more to verify.

The issue was random. Traffic accounting would work for a day or two, then suddenly the counters would stop increasing until reboot.

After disabling HW acceleration, it worked fine for many days.

Thanks for the update. I'm able to format JFFS now (it consistently failed up til now). :)

admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# mtd-erase -d jffs2
Erasing 0x1fe0000 - 0x1ffffff
"jffs2" successfully erased.
<reboot>
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 23168 23168 0 100% /
tmpfs 119880 2348 117532 2% /tmp
devfs 119880 0 119880 0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock5 32768 1284 31484 4% /jffs

Hi,

I' ve just updated from .22 to 23b. :)

First impressions in comparison to .22:

+ notebook connects faster to WLAN and Internet

+ UI seems to be faster / more responsive

+ RT-N66U and a connected USB stick are immediately shown under Windows Network. With .22 randomly the router and it's USB stick were only shown after reboot.

=> Thank's Eric .23b is a further improvement!

I just want to make sure that I have to be connected via ethernet to do this update correct. I can't do this over wifi correct?

I' ve allways updated the firmware via WLAN. I know via LAN it would be more secure but so far no fails...

Jeremy at Asus could not give a date for the new driver sounds it will take some time before they will release it.

I have beta firmwares from Asus with the new drivers (both AC66U and N66U). They are simply not stable enough yet, so it will have to wait until the day Asus or Broadcom (don't forget they are involved when it comes to wireless drivers) can stabilize it. So, that's why there is no ETA - it will depend on how long it will take for either of them to fix the problems.

I just want to make sure that I have to be connected via ethernet to do this update correct. I can't do this over wifi correct?

Yes, I would never a firmware update using wireless. If anything goes wrong, you're hosed. Always use a hard-wired connection to your computer to do firmware updates.

Hey RMerlin, first off thanks for the awesome firmware, added the feature I needed most (Per device, traffic monitoring).

Now question for you, how do I go about (if possible) having it keep the logs on a usb device (currently a thumb drive) instead of on the router itself?

Hey RMerlin, first off thanks for the awesome firmware, added the feature I needed most (Per device, traffic monitoring).

Now question for you, how do I go about (if possible) having it keep the logs on a usb device (currently a thumb drive) instead of on the router itself?

Just set the custom saving location to your USB disk. If it's mounted as sda1, then the location will be "/mnt/sda1/". This is configured on the same page where you enabled Per IP monitoring.

Don't forget to also tell it to initialize the database since you will be creating a new one.

what's the penalty for disabling hardware accel?

Unless you have a very high speed Internet connection (100 Mbits or faster), I suspect you won't see much of a difference. Try by yourself, you'll see.

Updated from Asus fw .266 and ended up with the mini-web gui . Have not had this issue
when I have updated f/w before. The unit had gone in rescue mode and I had to use the
Asus utility to install Merlins .23b. I updated as always by wired connection and had powered off ( on before I updated the f/w. Now I will wait for a couple of days to see if
other strange things happens.

Updated from Asus fw .266 and ended up with the mini-web gui . Have not had this issue
when I have updated f/w before. The unit had gone in rescue mode and I had to use the
Asus utility to install Merlins .23b. I updated as always by wired connection and had powered off ( on before I updated the f/w. Now I will wait for a couple of days to see if
other strange things happens.

Asus reduced the reboot delay on the Firmware upgrade page, and apparently reduced it too much on the RT-AC66U, so you end up seeing the miniWEB page as the delay expires and the webpage reloads itself. If you wait 30-60 more seconds, the router will actually finish booting, and you should access once again the regular UI.

Just set the custom saving location to your USB disk. If it's mounted as sda1, then the location will be "/mnt/sda1/". This is configured on the same page where you enabled Per IP monitoring.

Don't forget to also tell it to initialize the database since you will be creating a new one.

Thanks for the reply, I noticed when I run df -k, it shows " /tmp/mnt/USBSTICK" instead of what you suggested, should I stay away from using that? (plugged into bottom usb)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!