What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late at night here just before kids go to bed so my troubleshooting is limited but after upgrading to beta 3 my wireless started going weird. IOS devices no longer showed connected to wifi. When I tried to get back on it, it prompted for password. When I put in password it would tell me wrong password even though I knew it was correct. Even weirder is that I was able to join using the QR code. Downgrading back to beta 2 to see if wifi issue continues on it or not. Maybe random (possible sunspots?;)) but at least wanted to document it.

Edit: after downgrade back to beta 2, iPhone prompted for password and took it. Noticed odd behavior on wireless laptop as well. Seemed like it was getting kicked off and then rejoining as I had to use the wired desktop to check router and downgrade back to beta 2.

Edit 2: Spoke too soon...issue with wireless devices continue. Guess it time to redo the settings to make sure. Hope its not wireless radio going bad.
Have had this kind of issue [password not accepted after firmware upgrade flashed - followed by random wifi issues] ... and for me only fix was full reset and manual rebuild of settings ... not looked back since then. :cool:

Installed beta 3 this morning on AC88U and AC68U (mesh router), over previous official release. Nothing to complain about thus far, other than the same problem I had before: With Dual Wan in load balancing mode and routing rules enabled, the devices that should use Secondary WAN are still routed through Primary. Below is snapshot of the rules.

What am I doing wrong?

1626853715793.png

ETA for the official release? Thanks everyone for testing this out and reporting bugs here.

Have had this kind of issue [password not accepted after firmware upgrade flashed - followed by random wifi issues] ... and for me only fix was full reset and manual rebuild of settings ... not looked back since then. :cool:
Iphone is set to use a Random Mac address.. Same happens with Note 10+ Turn off Private or Random Mac Address on the phones

Have been running beta 3 for several days on two separate networks utilizing main/AP combos. All good. Running VPN clients and servers at both sites, but not using VPN director for anything.

Iphone is set to use a Random Mac address.. Same happens with Note 10+ Turn off Private or Random Mac Address on the phones
Thought about that but I steered away once laptop showed issues dropping.

2) Would VPN2 and VPN3 need to be set to ON? Or could I leave them OFF ("Stop Client"), and the router would switch them ON automatically if VPN1 goes down and it is looking to enforce policy rule no 2?

The yes to question 2 could go either way. Is that yes to the first part of the question or yes to the second part?

And if yes to need to keep them all on, is there any way to do what he asked in the second half, i.e. have VPN1 on, if it goes down, turn VPN2 on, etc?
You need to keep them on, it will not automatically turn on a client.

Updated to Beta 3 from Beta 2.

No real issues as such but link aggregation was turned off for some reason, now back on

So far... dirty upgrade since 386.2 and no issues at all with VPNs

I bumped a thread earlier about sh being unable to fork, and it appears the problem was low RAM. It was resolved by a reboot. The file strongswan.charon.log is growing rapidly on 386.2_6. Having watched it briefly with tail -f /var/log/strongswan.charon.log, the message appear to be all related to VPN. The growth rate is about 9KB per minute, which extrapolates up to 90MB / week. For a router that only has 1GB total RAM and less than 50% free after a reboot, you can see why this is a problem.

Has this been addressed in 386.3 with VPN Director? Or do you need additional testing around this behavior?

I bumped a thread earlier about sh being unable to fork, and it appears the problem was low RAM. It was resolved by a reboot. The file strongswan.charon.log is growing rapidly on 386.2_6. Having watched it briefly with tail -f /var/log/strongswan.charon.log, the message appear to be all related to VPN. The growth rate is about 9KB per minute, which extrapolates up to 90MB / week. For a router that only has 1GB total RAM and less than 50% free after a reboot, you can see why this is a problem.

Has this been addressed in 386.3 with VPN Director? Or do you need additional testing around this behavior?

Can you see what's in that log specifically that is flooding it?

That log is related to IPSEC/Instant Guard, so nothing has changed there with 386.3, and it's also unrelated to VPN Director.

My Wifi is faster with beta 3. Upgraded from previous alpha rel.
Likely a placebo effect, as there have been no recent changes to the closed source wifi components. You sometimes get that effect even after a router reboot, especially if you are using Auto channel selection, not fixed channels.

From the command line through ssh or do you mean another way?
Over SSH. If it's the first client, then:

Code:
killall vpnclient1

Found two bugs, some settings are not saved properly.

1) IP addresses in CIDR format (or any IP adresses?) and saved after the installation of the latest build will not survive from a reboot
2) My option ''Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel'' to VPN Director for client 2 and 3 do not survive from a reboot. (I have Yazfi for those client if it matter

IP addresses in CIDR format (or any IP adresses?) and saved after the installation of the latest build will not survive from a reboot
Works for me as well for everyone else in the thread who has been using 192.168.1.0/24 in various tests as seen on the various screenshots posted.

My option ''Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel'' to VPN Director for client 2 and 3 do not survive from a reboot.
Same, works for me and also various other testers.

I recommend you test without any third party script enabled, one of them may be screwing up with your settings.

Works for me as well for everyone else in the thread who has been using 192.168.1.0/24 in various tests as seen on the various screenshots posted.

Same, works for me and also various other testers.

I recommend you test without any third party script enabled, one of them may be screwing up with your settings.
I just have scmerlin and Yazfi enabled
Division disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!