What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am not able to open home page of router in Repeater Mode. I tried 192.168.1.1 ; router.asus.com and router ip which is 192.168.43.1
I can ping 192.168.43.1 but can not ssh or open home page.
More over when turn off my main router I am able to connect 192.168.1.1

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Make sure you don't have an IP conflict.

Is there a way to add a non-root user and switch to that user in this firmware? So I can run various software as a non-root user.

I am missing adduser, passwd, su, etc. :)

Is there a way to add a non-root user and switch to that user in this firmware? So I can run various software as a non-root user.

I am missing adduser, passwd, su, etc. :)

The firmware itself will only run with the admin user. If you need additional users for other software you have to manually add them - see the Custom Config section on the Wiki.

I am finding that on the RT-N66u with 38_2 that the usb NAS is slower for reads/writes ( compared to the previous firmware that i was running ( official 3.0.0.4.374.979)).. were there any changes that would be causing this between the updates?

Notes:I am running a Fat32 1.5TB Nas via usb. I used to get around 15mb/s read and now get ~8mb/s. I also did a full reset and reconfigure when upgrading the firmwares.

I am not sure if the speed decrease is due to the wireless speed decreasing (I use 5ghz), or on the USB side.

Would you mind retesting with .34? I just tried with .34 and it still wasn't working. I know that up to and including 38_0 were working with the old modem so something really strange is going happening here.

Okay, went back to .34, and I couldn't get IPv6 to work, so I decided to try 38.2-em one more time. Especially since Jim said that it was working for him with Comcast. Now IPv6 is working on 38.2-em, so fancy that *smile*. Not sure why this is so hit-or-miss, but perseverance apparently furthers. I suspect if I stayed with .34 and worked it over enough, it would eventually hit it right, too. I didn't even reboot 38.2-em, just flashed it, reset the router, and restored my settings file from yesterday and voila! This must have something to do with Comcast, since I doubt that the router is doing much different each time that I try the same thing.

Good thing that IPv6 isn't absolutely needed yet *smile*.

Last edited:
Okay, went back to .34, and I couldn't get IPv6 to work, so I decided to try 38.2-em one more time. Especially since Jim said that it was working for him with Comcast. Now IPv6 is working on 38.2-em, so fancy that *smile*. Not sure why this is so hit-or-miss, but perseverance apparently furthers. I suspect if I stayed with .34 and worked it over enough, it would eventually hit it right, too. I didn't even reboot 38.2-em, just flashed it, reset the router, and restored my settings file from yesterday and voila!

I went so far as to install Tomato and got IPv6 working there. Then I went back to 38_2 and now it's finally working there as well. This is after testing 3 different firmware versions, numerous firmware resets and reboots. Looks like whatever it was got unstuck. This is really a baffling one (see below). But it's working now :D

This must have something to do with Comcast, since I doubt that the router is doing much different each time that I try the same thing.

I can't imagine that it is Comcast's fault. Because at the point that error occurs, the DHCPv6 client is attempting to send it's first packet (requesting an IA_PD). Other than RAs the router has not received, nor given, any information to Comcast yet.

I went so far as to install Tomato and got IPv6 working there. Then I went back to 38_2 and now it's finally working there as well. This is after testing 3 different firmware versions, numerous firmware resets and reboots. Looks like whatever it was got unstuck. This is really a baffling one (see below). But it's working now :D

I can't imagine that it is Comcast's fault. Because at the point that error occurs, the DHCPv6 client is attempting to send it's first packet (requesting an IA_PD). Other than RAs the router has not received, nor given, any information to Comcast yet.

I just tried ipv6 ( I have Comcast) and its not working with my AC66u and 38_2. Haven't tested ipv6 in long time but it worked before.

I see the following in my syslog, perhaps this is the issue

Jan 21 17:13:20 syslog: module nf_conntrack_ipv6 not found in modules.dep
Jan 21 17:13:20 rdnssd[1454]: Cannot find user "admin"

Last edited:
I just tried ipv6 ( I have Comcast) and its not working with my AC66u and 38_2. Haven't tested ipv6 in long time but it worked before.

Two things, first off the same nf_conntrack_ipv6 message is also in my log, and IPv6 is working. So that's not a problem.

Also, I've found that you have to reboot at least once after enabling IPv6 to get the parameters that you need from Comcast. Sometimes more than one reboot, and sometimes resetting the router and reloading the settings file with IPv6 enabled helps. I've not been able to find a consistent formula for getting IPv6 going, I basically fiddle around until I finally get Comcast's attention to fulfill my router's request for IPv6. If I can't get it going after while, I just quit and come back to it. I always get there, sometimes it takes more time than others...sometimes it works on the first try, maybe 50% of the time. But it is a hassle if it doesn't start up on the first try *smile*.

I find that starting IPv6 works more consistently with new firmware if I was just using it with the previous firmware, and flash new firmware, and then turn on IPv6 again. If I haven't used it for a while, it can be a hassle.

Edit: The only rdnssd message in my log (aside from the startup message) is: "Dec 31 16:00:14 rdnssd[403]: Get IPv6 address & DNS from DHCPv6", so I'd need to do some research about what rdnssd does to find out if the message that you see in your log represents a problem that would stop IPv6 from starting up.

Last edited:
Two things, first off the same nf_conntrack_ipv6 message is also in my log, and IPv6 is working. So that's not a problem.

Also, I've found that you have to reboot at least once after enabling IPv6 to get the parameters that you need from Comcast. Sometimes more than one reboot, and sometimes resetting the router and reloading the settings file with IPv6 enabled helps. I've not been able to find a consistent formula for getting IPv6 going, I basically fiddle around until I finally get Comcast's attention to fulfill my router's request for IPv6. If I can't get it going after while, I just quit and come back to it. I always get there, sometimes it takes more time than others...sometimes it works on the first try, maybe 50% of the time. But it is a hassle if it doesn't start up on the first try *smile*.

I find that starting IPv6 works more consistently with new firmware if I was just using it with the previous firmware, and flash new firmware, and then turn on IPv6 again. If I haven't used it for a while, it can be a hassle.

That's ridiculous, should not be that difficult. Before Merlin mentioned Asus botched the ipv6 code you could enable ipv6 and pull an ipv6 address immediately with Comcast.

I didn't see this mentioned before, so, fwiw: README-Merlin.txt does not have anything in the changelog documenting the change from 3.0.0.4.374.38_1 to 3.0.0.4.374.38_2 (downloaded the rt-ac66u version).

That's ridiculous, should not be that difficult. Before Merlin mentioned Asus botched the ipv6 code you could enable ipv6 and pull an ipv6 address immediately with Comcast.

Yes, it is ridiculous, but it has been this way at my location since I started using IPv6 (about 9/2012). It's never been consistent when trying to start IPv6 in my area, other than to be consistently inconsistent. Some days are better than others, but I change firmware on my RT-N66U more than I should *smile*, and am used to struggling with getting IPv6 going on new firmware.

Yes, it is ridiculous, but it has been this way at my location since I started using IPv6 (about 9/2012). It's never been consistent when trying to start IPv6 in my area, other than to be consistently inconsistent. Some days are better than others, but I change firmware on my RT-N66U more than I should *smile*, and am used to struggling with getting IPv6 going on new firmware.

So your ipv6 issue appears to have nothing to do with the newest GPL if its been going on that long. I don't fiddle with ipv6 much as the neighbor table overflow errors bother me but it has always grabbed an ipv6 address right away until I tested it tonight with newer firmware. I'm going to take a look at Comcast forums to see if others are complaining

So your ipv6 issue appears to have nothing to do with the newest GPL if its been going on that long. I don't fiddle with ipv6 much as the neighbor table overflow errors bother me but it has always grabbed an ipv6 address right away until I tested it tonight with newer firmware. I'm going to take a look at Comcast forums to see if others are complaining

Yes, my problems getting IPv6 started have nothing to do with the latest source code, I've had them all along. Pretty sure that this is on Comcast's side, like the neighborhood table overflows. Although I don't see those overflows on the Netgear R7000, I'm guessing that they're simply allocating enough memory for the table.

Yes, my problems getting IPv6 started have nothing to do with the latest source code, I've had them all along. Pretty sure that this is on Comcast's side, like the neighborhood table overflows. Although I don't see those overflows on the Netgear R7000, I'm guessing that they're simply allocating enough memory for the table.

If it's any consolation, sometimes I have to power cycle my bridge mode Att DSL modem to get 6rd ipv6 to work when I initially enable ipv6. Sometimes I don't. When I tried Merlin EM, I didn't have to do anything, ipv6 started immediately. I usually keep IPv6 disabled anyway because it's consistently about 3-4 percent slower (download) anyway. I'll have to try the new asus stock firmware this weekend and see what happens.....but I'm used to powercycling. And darn good at it. ;)

I set up my new RT-N66U yesterday and when prompted upgraded to the latest ASUS firmware. I haven't messed with any of the settings. Which Merlin firmware should I use? Am I able to flash the firmware with my router as is or do I need to do a factory reset?

I'm not familiar with SDK5 vs SDK6 and am not sure if build 3.0.04.374.38 will work for me or if I even want this latest build. I guess I'm looking for the latest stable build.

It sounds like you have a different issue. If rdnssd isn't running then the dhcpv6 client won't get run and you won't get a prefix. Have you changed your login name from something other than "admin"?

Edit: The only rdnssd message in my log (aside from the startup message) is: "Dec 31 16:00:14 rdnssd[403]: Get IPv6 address & DNS from DHCPv6", so I'd need to do some research about what rdnssd does to find out if the message that you see in your log represents a problem that would stop IPv6 from starting up.

RDNSS is used to provide DNS servers using Router Advertisements (or something, I can't find much info on it other than almost nobody uses it and the RFC I didn't feel like reading). Comcast uses DHCPv6 to provide DNS servers, so it's not used. However, Asus chose to modify rdnssd so it starts the DHCPv6 client. So if there's an error starting rdnssd, the DHCPv6 client never starts and us Comcast users never get a prefix or DNS.

It sounds like you have a different issue. If rdnssd isn't running then the dhcpv6 client won't get run and you won't get a prefix. Have you changed your login name from something other than "admin"?

RDNSS is used to provide DNS servers using Router Advertisements (or something, I can't find much info on it other than almost nobody uses it and the RFC I didn't feel like reading). Comcast uses DHCPv6 to provide DNS servers, so it's not used. However, Asus chose to modify rdnssd so it starts the DHCPv6 client. So if there's an error starting rdnssd, the DHCPv6 client never starts and us Comcast users never get a prefix or DNS.

Saintdev, thanks!!! My username has never been admin, I always change it when I purchase a new router. I changed it to admin and now ipv6 works!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
My username has never been admin, I always change it from admin every router I buy

Ok, then it's probably hard coded to "admin" somewhere in rdnssd. I guess Asus never tested these changes with a different login ;)

I'll see what I can do about this.

I set up my new RT-N66U yesterday and when prompted upgraded to the latest ASUS firmware. I haven't messed with any of the settings. Which Merlin firmware should I use? Am I able to flash the firmware with my router as is or do I need to do a factory reset?

I'm not familiar with SDK5 vs SDK6 and am not sure if build 3.0.04.374.38 will work for me or if I even want this latest build. I guess I'm looking for the latest stable build.
The consensus at the moment is that the most recent (experimental) build (3.0.0.4_374.38_2-em) is the best. It is using the newest sdk6 driver, which seems to have the same or better performance of the last sdk5 driver. The -em build is likely going to be the standard build, but we won't know if performance will change in future firmwares due to the nature of the (likely unofficial) settings involved with the -em build. You can read more about it in the release notes.

Edit: To be on the safe side, your best bet would be to do a factory restore once you've loaded this version, and re-enter your settings. You can try without, but given the fact you may have had an sdk5 firmware on previously, you'll want to start fresh. And also delete any wireless profiles for the router on your computers.

Last edited:
I have been using the beta 2239 firmware on my RT-N66U and it has proven (24+ hrs so far) to be very fast and stable in my use. The 2.4GHz band did regress a bit performance-wise vs. 374.38_2-em version, but the actual throughput in the 5GHz band is even better and from further away than before.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=100542&postcount=33

A reset to defaults along with 'forgetting' the original network connections from all your clients is recommended to fully test the new firmware fairly.