What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgraded my AX86u couple of days ago, noticed 1 strange thing. Which I can't bring back to the changes made in this version, but the issues wasn't there before the upgrade.
With 'DoS protection' enabled I can't connect to my NAS anymore from external. Before the upgrade there was no issue.
I enabled 'Log Dropped packets' and I can see all those connection are dropped by the firewall. The Ipadress originating the call's all resolved to Akamai.
Anybody who has an explanation or can point me in some direction to solve this because I would love to enable 'DoS protection' again.
How do you try to connect? IPv4 or ipv6?
Do you have an inbound rule?

For testing purposes I created an inbound rule and can connect direct from mobile network to my nas @ipv6 with DoS protection on.
But I prefer to connect to my private network with opvn.

It looks like Wifi was not touched at all in this release but I had to go back to 3004.388.4 on my AX68U due to issues.
My ring doorbell was constantly getting disconnected. Also overall internet performance just seemed really sluggish, everything would get slow in spurts. I have the TrendMicro agreement revoked, and using the built in Cake QoS. I also tried disabling QoS and got the same results. As soon as I went back to 388.4, instant improvement and no more disconnects from my 2.4Ghz devices.

I did run the 388.5 beta for a short while and did not really notice issues until the final version, which I am not sure if much even changed between the two.
I've noticed similar behavior on my AX88U. My 2.4GHz devices seem unreliable and lots of disconnects. I have my 2.4GHz network set to 20MHz and Channel 11. I haven't downgraded yet, but I might soon.

Firstly, semi dirty flash from 388.4 to 388.5 on Sunday has been solid. Thanks Merlin!
However, today skynet acted up. It started after a daily list update where not only the list was ignored but when I then looked at the settings, a lot were changed! So wierd. I have been using skynet for a couple years now without issues.
The only thing, could be coincidence, that it has to do with the new Curl version as the daily list update was the trigger.
Or, could it be my USB is dying?
Well it must had been a bad Skynet install (when I did a dirty upgrade from 388.4). I have since uninstalled Skynet, reformatted my USB and validated it was healthy. Finally, I have re-installed Skynet. GOOD NEWS is it is working well again, and has been since Friday.
As for the 388.5 release, it has been working flawlessly. Thanks @RMerlin !

How do you try to connect? IPv4 or ipv6?
Do you have an inbound rule?

For testing purposes I created an inbound rule and can connect direct from mobile network to my nas @ipv6 with DoS protection on.
But I prefer to connect to my private network with opvn.
I use Ipv4, currently no need for ipv6. No rules either

I use Ipv4, currently no need for ipv6. No rules either
Please provide more details about how you connect to your nas from external.

GT AX11000 PRO, never had issues with wifi and a few days with 388.5 noticing random slowness ... something's odd with this firmware.
Going back to reliable 388.4. Adding log section with messaging never saw before, perhaps that's the issue.

Attachments

• 2023-12-12 at 08.29.08.png
    2023-12-12 at 08.29.08.png
    753.5 KB · Views: 118
Hi team, any idea why this is happening?
1702376005502.png

it used to be in the same status with 388.4 as well. Not a big issue, just if anybody knows why.

GT AX11000 PRO, never had issues with wifi and a few days with 388.5 noticing random slowness ... something's odd with this firmware.
Going back to reliable 388.4. Adding log section with messaging never saw before, perhaps that's the issue.
What have you tried in remedy?

Updated two RT-AX68U routers from 3004.388.4 to 3004.388.5. The routers were in AiMesh. Three Cisco switches with Rapid STP are installed between the routers.

After updating to 3004.388.5 I got a spanning-tree storm. As a result, I downgraded to 3004.388.4 and rebooted the switches.

@Igor:
Did you test 388.5 after a "clean" setup?
@all:
A "dirty" upgrade without a reset CAN work properly but it doesn't have to.

Hi,
I get the feeling that some people are downgrading to version 3004.388.4 (as supposed being a more stable version) for various reasons. Though i'm currently not facing problems myself, it makes me wonder: Should i be worried?
Regards, Kees

If anything before downgrading, try a reset of router and setup from scratch!

Before upgrading, please do the following.

Now, you're in a position to fully reset the router if needed.

And more importantly, you can quickly get back to where you were before you updated the firmware.

I get the feeling that some people are downgrading to version 3004.388.4 (as supposed being a more stable version)
A lot of these are claiming better Wifi performance/stability, which makes no sense since there was no change at all to the wireless components between the two versions.

I had an odd issue the past few days with a dirty upgrade from 3004.388.4 to .5 on a RT-AX86U. Using Comcast Xfinity access and a NetGear CM1000v2 modem, upload speeds went from 11-ish to .3 Mbps on Monday until Tuesday morning when I re-installed .4 . I didn't have time to troubleshoot much (a couple of us working from home) where after briefly troubleshooting with a Comcast rep and them claiming there is nothing wrong with your line or modem I needed a quick fix and rolled back. Hopefully I can schedule and try again towards the end of the month to further confirm what was in logs.

Did you test 388.5 after a "clean" setup?
No. The routers are located 1.5 hours away from me. I had to go and restore it in the evening.

there was no change at all
Did I understand correctly that there were no system changes in firmware 3004.388.5, but there were more strange messages about 3004.388.5 than usual?
I have saved some logs on the syslog server. There is a message there that was only after the update to 3004.388.5:
Code:
received a packet on eth1 with its own address as the source address
Then a continuous stream of messages from dnsmasq-dhcp.

After some time (1d 16h) stats and ports status do not show up for my AX88U
1702497004343.png

log looks weird too
1702497091136.png

UPD: I've logged out and logged in and it works now. But I did refresh pages before and it was empty

Last edited:
UPD: I've logged out and logged in and it works now. But I did refresh pages before and it was empty
That's been the case for me forever - somehow the login cookie expires and the browser servers half stale data... I am pretty sure stock does the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.