What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 Beta 2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi RMerlin,

I'm glad you were able to reproduce the issue... hopefully you can fix it soon.

Cheers,

Dragster

Found the cause. Samba doesn't like if the system user has uppercase characters in it, as it tries to match it to a lowercase version, and fails.

I suspect it's because nobody ever expected a UNIX superuser to contain any uppercase character (after all, the vast majority of them is "root", or "admin").

Not sure how realistic it would be to change this, especially if it's because that's intended behaviour by the Samba developers. For now, changing "Dragster" to "dragster" should resolve the immediate issue in your case. I'll see if it's possible to change this.

WOW, that was fast! Thank you RMerlin.

I'll test chinging my username... though this configuration was working perfectly in the previous reléase of the firmware... (before samba was updated I'm guessing?)...

It would be great if you can implement a workarpound for this...

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Dragster

I'll test chinging my username... though this configuration was working perfectly in the previous reléase of the firmware... (before samba was updated I'm guessing?)...

The Samba devs probably changed this between 3.0.25 and 3.6.24. It's possible that it's done to be more compliant with certain standards (I do see the location in the code where they change the name to lowercase before attempting to locate it in the local system passwd database - which is where it fails).

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Dragster

Looks like Asuswrt is the oddball there. UNIX usernames should be all lowercase, but Asuswrt allows you to define an admin user that contains uppercase characters. Some distro's "adduser" tool will even reject usernames that contain uppercase, or that start with an uppercase. The problem was reported by other UNIX users who ran into similar issues after some changes in how Samba handled them:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2008-March/139569.html

For some reason Samba doesn't even try the original non-mangled username, it flat out tries all lower, all upper, then a poke-in-the-dark attempt at random capitalization based on the "username level" setting (which sound rather silly).

This makes me wary of modifying Samba to try a non-mangled username as this seems to be done voluntarily, by design. I will have to find more information as to why they decided to do it this way before changing it.

Just installed Beta 3 and, as expected, all the permission setting problems are gone. Thanks Merlin!

Hi I actually think this is a great firmware choice to run with! . recently i had updated to last beta version and I realize that I cannot access the disk (usb/disk connected to the router )as I used in the past over a windows networks , ftp is fine but here is what I receive when trying to access the path as example :\\192.167.1.1.

router is NC-66U
"The device or resource (192.168.7.1) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)"."

you aware of any that might be affecting

Hi,
Just came home and guess what with no USB drives attached at all (never hooked them up either), on beta 3
No 5GHz light or signal.

PLEASE ADVISE PLEASE

(see older posts for info)
No scripts at all
just basic info

I am going to try moving the new iPad air 2 to the 2.4 GHz now, that is absolutely the only thing that has changed, but beta 1 did work for 24 hrs, but not a normal day like today.

Merlin, I am sending you my log file by PM. I hope you don't mind, if so just delete. I actually was able to get into my router this time :)
Thank You!!!

Hi I actually think this is a great firmware choice to run with! . recently i had updated to last beta version and I realize that I cannot access the disk (usb/disk connected to the router )as I used in the past over a windows networks , ftp is fine but here is what I receive when trying to access the path as example :\\192.167.1.1.

router is NC-66U
"The device or resource (192.168.7.1) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)"."

you aware of any that might be affecting

The issue was mentioned just a few posts above yours, and is currently fixed internally. For the time being change your router admin username to one that is all lowercase - this is Samba 3.6 being stupid in how it handles UNIX usernames.

Also, there is no such thing as an NC-66U. Please report the actual model, cause I can't even tell if you are talking about an RT-N66 or an RT-AC66U. You somehow managed to mash the two model names together...

Last edited:
Hi,
Just came home and guess what with no USB drives attached at all (never hooked them up either), on beta 3
No 5GHz light or signal.

PLEASE ADVISE PLEASE

(see older posts for info)
No scripts at all
just basic info

I am going to try moving the new iPad air 2 to the 2.4 GHz now, that is absolutely the only thing that has changed, but beta 1 did work for 24 hrs, but not a normal day like today.

Merlin, I am sending you my log file by PM. I hope you don't mind, if so just delete. I actually was able to get into my router this time :)
Thank You!!!

That log contains nothing but DHCP requests. I would need the actual boot time log to see if there's any issue with the 5 GHz radio startup.

That log contains nothing but DHCP requests. I would need the actual boot time log to see if there's any issue with the 5 GHz radio startup.

sorry, but how do I get you the boot time log? (tomorrow when it happens again, my 5GHz signal just shuts down, within 24 hrs. no light or signal, on beta 2 and 3)
Thank You!!

Last edited:
sorry, but how do I get you the boot time log? (tomorrow when it happens again, my 5GHz signal just shuts down, within 24 hrs. no light or signal, on beta 2 and 3)
Thank You!!

Take the log right after a router reboot.

A lot of RT-AC87U random issues were resolved when people changed their WPA key to one that only used alphanumericals. Try that if yours had any weird characters in it.

Hi RMerlin...

It looks like I'm having some issues with disk spindown functionality.. of your -great- firmware...

I have an external 2 Drive USB enclosure I have attached to my RT-AC87R router.. which works just fine.. The two partitions of the first drive are mounted as /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2... spindown works just fine.. but for sme reason 2nd drive (1 partition) is mounted as /dev/sdb2... and spindown doesn't work on it... I'm not sure why it mounts on that device.. it should be mounted as /dev/sdb1.. right?

Cheers,

Dragster

Last edited:
Hi RMerlin...

It looks like I'm having some issues with disk spindown functionality.. of your -great- firmware...

I have an external 2 Drive USB enclosure I have attached to my RT-AC87R router.. which works just fine.. The two partitions of the first drive are mounted as /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2... spindown works just fine.. but for sme reason 2nd drive (1 partition) is mounted as /dev/sdb2... and spindown doesn't work on it... I'm not sure why it mounts on that device.. it should be mounted as /dev/sdb1.. right?

Spindown support depends on the USB enclosure and the HDD's own firmware.

Hello Merlin,

Your Samba fix is working. Now Samba server started ( i see router share in Network Places ).

But now back issue with set permission for disks on Samba\FTP pages !

and second strange issue on router main "Network Map" page

USB mapped wrong.
In my First USB slot i must see my 8Gb Flash Drive connected to USB port 1
In my Second USB slot i must see my 250 GB HDD connected to USB port 2
But i see this ( see picure below )
Capture1.JPG

I see my Flash drive with information of Free space from my HDD ,
and my HDD with empty Free Space Information

Capture2.JPG

My syslog when disk find is :
Code:
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 PMAP PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 15646720 512-byte hardware sectors (8011 MB)
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel:  sda:<5>scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Multi    Flash Reader     1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel:  sda1 < sda5 >
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
Jan  1 04:00:11 disk monitor: be idle
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Generic  Storage Device   0.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ST320082 7AS                   PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 CCS
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] 390721968 512-byte hardware sectors (200050 MB)
Jan  1 04:00:11 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] Write Protect is off
Jan  1 04:00:12 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jan  1 04:00:12 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jan  1 04:00:12 kernel:  sdd: sdd1 < sdd5 >
Jan  1 04:00:12 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI disk
Jan  1 04:00:12 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0

Disk are correctly mounted in system ( as i say in begining i can work with SAMBA ) :

Code:
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
devfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/mtdblock4 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda5 on /tmp/mnt/sda5 type ext2 (rw,nodev,noatime)
/dev/sdd5 on /tmp/mnt/sdd5 type ext3 (rw,nodev,noatime,data=ordered)
devfs on /tmp/mnt/sda5/debian/dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
proc on /tmp/mnt/sda5/debian/proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /tmp/mnt/sda5/debian/sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/sdd5 on /tmp/mnt/sda5/debian/mnt type ext3 (rw,nodev,noatime,data=ordered)

Last edited:
Hello Merlin,

Your Samba fix is working. Now Samba server started ( i see router share in Network Places ).

But now back issue with set permission for disks on Samba\FTP pages !

and second strange issue on router main "Network Map" page

USB mapped wrong.
In my First USB slot i must see my 8Gb Flash Drive connected to USB port 1
In my Second USB slot i must see my 250 GB HDD connected to USB port 2
But i see this ( see picure below )

I see my Flash drive with information of Free space from my HDD ,
and my HDD with empty Free Space Information

I give up. Asus can sort this mess, I've already spent FAR too much time trying to fix this.

Hi,
Ok I came home today and guess what....................

My 5GHz is still working and the only thing I changed is ........

Removed the new iPad air 2, I put it on the 2.4GHz band.

So I will try this for one more day but it looks like ASUS needs to fix this, some kind of compatibility for sure so far.. both my 6 and 6 plus work fine on the 5GHz band tho, but I think the air 2 does some kind of

Thank you Merlin

How do I escalate this to asus? Maybe I should try their official software just to see?

edit: oh yah and that log I sent you , I know it showed some dhcp stuff at the end and that is when the router locks up and shuts down the 5GHz band.

edit 2: found LOTS of people complaining of wifi issues with the air 2, but nothing like my issue so far, but I do recall of others having this issue, or very similar to it, guess I have to use 2.4 until apple and asus fix this.

Edit 3: someone posted that in the next apple ios update (the beta they tried) fixes it. Time will tell.
Sorry for the posts.

edit 4 : My friend that I set up has the newest official asus firmware and the router 87r, same as mine, he also has the air 2, purchased same day and does not have this issue? This stuff is like russian roulette.

Last edited:
I give up. Asus can sort this mess, I've already spent FAR too much time trying to fix this.
I do not blame you one bit Merlin. I have grown so tired of the issues with the AC87x that I have reverted to my AC68U. Since switching I have had zero issues. Maybe in about 6 months I will give the AC87R another shot. We have IT professionals in the house that must have remote access to their systems. I simply could no longer tolerate the connectivity issues the router presented especially with accessing the web-based GUI.

agree not to spend too much time on NAS functions of a WiFi router

Merlin: I give up (on debugging multi-partition mounted USB volumes

I do not blame you one bit Merlin

Here second the motion, Merlin, for you to not spend disproportionate time on debugging all but the simplest uses of WiFi routers as NASes via the Asus router USB ports.

And am saying this even though am making money installing RT-AC66u and '68u's as NASes.

Am having perfect success with your ...48 firmware in the simple case of one big USB flash drive in a USB port, with a single non-bootable partition NTFS or ext2 format. Have not tried over 128GB yet.

Sharing files locally over WiFi at SMB V1 and now V2.02 levels, among up to 5 users (windows and Ubuntu, where in the Ubuntu case had to fiddle with SMB config files to be able to browse the USB volumes).

If I had trouble with USB SMB file sharing, I would simply buy an $80 dollar diskless NAS with tons of other features and way more file access speed. Rather than have you spend lots of time away from your main goal of WiFi and routing with Asus WiFi routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!