What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.49 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here is my DF tmp isn't using much either....is tmpfs static or dynamic? It does show 124.9M as the size.

Code:
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                35.0M     35.0M         0 100% /
devtmpfs                124.8M         0    124.8M   0% /dev
tmpfs                   124.9M      9.3M    115.6M   7% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4           62.8M      2.0M     60.7M   3% /jffs
/dev/sda2                10.9G      3.6G      6.7G  35% /tmp/mnt/data1
/dev/sda1                 3.8G    421.9M      3.3G  11% /tmp/mnt/optware
/dev/sda1                 3.8G    421.9M      3.3G  11% /tmp/opt

Your tmp usage is similar to mine as well, so all I can think would be that something you run through Optware is using that memory, or it's some additional buffering done by the filesystem driver with your plugged disks.

To people having an "undefined" SSID, can you try a different browser? I just tested with a long SSID containing multiple spaces here ("skyrealm87 this name is long") and it's still showing correctly for me under Chrome.

Also please open your browser console and post any line containing a Javascript error.

Your tmp usage is similar to mine as well, so all I can think would be that something you run through Optware is using that memory, or it's some additional buffering done by the filesystem driver with your plugged disks.

Thanks you pointed me in the right direction. I dismounted the USB thumb drive where both partitions are ext2 using the Asus dashboard and the memory dropped right down. I then unplugged and plugged it back in and the memory stayed low. I haven't tried to reboot yet to see if it returns. Below are the new memory stats:

Code:
free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:        255752        48468       207284            0         1596
-/+ buffers:              46872       208880
Swap:            0            0            0

Thank you Merlin for answering my question. Seems all good after loading my old settings (from previous firmware release).

I have two questions:

1.) I see a lot of these in my sys log:
Dec 25 05:06:25 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10002 is big. Consider r2q change.
Dec 25 05:06:25 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10060 is big. Consider r2q change.

2.) Also, I see these on a hourly basis:
Dec 25 14:22:04 miniupnpd[8024]: HTTP Connection from 192.168.2.21 closed unexpectedly

192.168.2.21 is assigned through DHCP Server to my wife's iMac, late 2007 which is only Wi-Fi connected to my network. I've heard it's that "Back to my Mac" service that's enabled causing these problems, but I don't have it enabled. It's always disabled on that iMac. "Back to my Mac" service is useful with laptops, but desktop machine doesn't really need it. I am not sure what's causing those unexpectedly closed connections, and if judging by that IP address, I am sure it's that machine causing it.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you Merlin for answering my question. Seems all good after loading my old settings (from previous firmware release).

I have two questions:

1.) I see a lot of these in my sys log:

Those have always been part of Asuswrt, they are related to the QoS implementation. Just ignore them.

2.) Also, I see these on a hourly basis:

No idea, I don't deal with Mac stuff. Sounds like something on it is doing something unexpected with UPNP or PCP.

To people having an "undefined" SSID, can you try a different browser? I just tested with a long SSID containing multiple spaces here ("skyrealm87 this name is long") and it's still showing correctly for me under Chrome.

Also please open your browser console and post any line containing a Javascript error.

Using Chrome also, the 2.4GHz SSID shows, the 5G doesn't. My 2.4GHz one is "Full Metal Panic" while the 5GHz one is "Full Metal Panic 5G". Chrome's debug shows just this:

Code:
 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property 'visibility' of null jquery-ui-1.10.3.custom.min.js:6
(anonymous function)jquery-ui-1.10.3.custom.min.js:6
(anonymous function)jquery-ui-1.10.3.custom.min.js:6
(anonymous function)
jquery.fancybox.pack.js:46 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'offsetTop' of undefined  jquery.fancybox.pack.js:46
(anonymous function)  jquery-2.0.3.min.js:4
l    jquery-2.0.3.min.js:4
c   .fireWithjquery-2.0.3.min.js:4
x.  extend.readyjquery-2.0.3.min.js:4 S

Applies to both Chrome and Firefox: 5G SSID listed as 'undefined'. If you hover over it, the pop-up displays the correct 5GHz SSID.

From Java console...
Document was loaded from Application Cache with manifest http://192.168.1.1/manifest.appcache
192.168.1.1/:1 Application Cache Checking event
192.168.1.1/:1 Application Cache NoUpdate event
jquery.js:2 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property 'backgroundClip' of null
chrome-extension://mkfokfffehpeedafpekjeddnmnjhmcmk/wax.js:1 Uncaught ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined
toolbar.js:1 Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined

Anyone else having problems with the 2,4GHz radio dying on RT-N66U? Suddenly my 2,4GHz SSID disappears and I have to disable the radio and enable it again for it to appear.

Nobody else then me? If not, I'm going to do a full reset to see if that helps out.

Was on .47. Upgraded to .49_2. Router isn't getting assigned an IPV6 address.

Tried turning on and off NAT acceleration. Turning on and off IPV6. No luck. Went back to .48_3 and now it is working.

I have Comcast ISP. Also tried turning on and off my Cable modem.

Also this is an RT-AC66

Tried again going to .49_2. Turned off Cable Modem and Router for 15 mins. Turned back on. Tried some suggestions on the forum. Nothing works for .49_2. When I go back to .48_3, I get an IPv6 address right away.

I also use chrome, but 64 bit.

It is still the same on internet explorer.

1st SSID "It Hurts When IP" shows fine, "Underground Military Base 5G" doesn't

Code:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'closure_lm_299650' of nullhtsa_common.js:36 Obhtsa_common.js:34 Nbhtsa_common.js:34 Lbhtsa_common.js:36 T.listenhtsa_common.js:66 Lchtsa_trigger.js:1 (anonymous function)htsa_trigger.js:2 (anonymous function)[CODE]
[/CODE]

Code:
Error in event handler for extension.onRequest: chrome.extension.onRequest content.js has wrong request.nameextensions::uncaught_exception_handler:8 handlerextensions::uncaught_exception_handler:100 exports.handleextensions::event_bindings:384 EventImpl.dispatch_extensions::event_bindings:401 EventImpl.dispatchextensions::SafeBuiltins:19 target.(anonymous function)extensions::utils:94 $Array.forEach.publicClass.(anonymous function)extensions::messaging:188 messageListenerextensions::SafeBuiltins:19 target.(anonymous function)extensions::event_bindings:395 EventImpl.dispatchToListenerextensions::SafeBuiltins:19 target.(anonymous function)extensions::utils:94 $Array.forEach.publicClass.(anonymous function)extensions::event_bindings:379 EventImpl.dispatch_extensions::event_bindings:401 EventImpl.dispatchextensions::SafeBuiltins:19 target.(anonymous function)extensions::utils:94 $Array.forEach.publicClass.(anonymous function)extensions::messaging:304 dispatchOnMessage

Code:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'closure_lm_471336' of nullhtsa_common.js:36 Obhtsa_common.js:34 Nbhtsa_common.js:34 Lbhtsa_common.js:36 T.listenhtsa_common.js:66 Lchtsa_trigger.js:1 (anonymous function)htsa_trigger.js:2 (anonymous function)

Last edited:
Posted this in another thread but I think that was the wrong one so I'm putting this here too.

AiRadar is a marketing label that applies to an array of techniques Asus uses to improve wifi coverage. Beamforming is a technical feature that is one of those techniques used by AiRadar.

Hello RMerlin!
Id like to first say how appreciative I am of your continued support for Asus routers. I can't tell you how much trouble I've been having with this AC66U until I found your modified firmware and now everything just works.

I do however have one question (not really a problem). I was previously running DD-WRT and had used the explicit and implicit beamforming options available in that firmware. I didn't do any back-to-back testing to see if it worked unfortunately. When I flashed your modified firmware I was unable to find any beamforming options. As you said in a previous post those options are only for a few models that support beamforming, AC56, AC68 or AC87. I was under the impression that the AC66U also supports beamforming since Ai Radar is a superset of the standard beamforming tech as I understand it (might have been explained poorly to me though).

I also saw from one of your posts last year, here, that Asus may enable support for beamforming in the AC66U at some point in the future. Does that mean the AC66U does support beamforming and that you are just waiting for Asus to put the code in so you can use it?

Also a bit off-topic but is there any chance for this firmware to support RADIUS accounting in addition to the already supported RADIUS authentication schemes? I figure this is a really long shot as even DD-WRT didn't have this option, seems to be something you only get when you spend a grand or so on a professional enterprise-grade router (but it would sure be nice :p).

Anyways, thanks again for the work you've put into this firmware. I was pulling out my hair over a constantly dropping 2.4GHz signal when running DD-WRT and was worried It wouldnt have stable WiFi over the holidays but your firmware has everything running beautifully.

Last edited:
I also saw from one of your posts last year, here, that Asus may enable support for beamforming in the AC66U at some point in the future. Does that mean the AC66U does support beamforming and that you are just waiting for Asus to put the code in so you can use it?

No idea. With so many different router models, I no longer try to keep track of every model's own specifics.

Also a bit off-topic but is there any chance for this firmware to support RADIUS accounting in addition to the already supported RADIUS authentication schemes? I figure this is a really long shot as even DD-WRT didn't have this option, seems to be something you only get when you spend a grand or so on a professional enterprise-grade router (but it would sure be nice :p).

That would be beyond the scope of this project. Look at Optware, it mught contain the necessary packages for you to manually install and configure such a feature.

Remove the spaces from your SSID's.

Thanks but no thanks, I see no reason to since the actual radio works, and in my case only the 2nd SSID fails to display, the 1st one still has spaces and displays fine. And this is not the MSDOS era of 8.3 names anymore.

Thanks but no thanks, I see no reason to since the actual radio works, and in my case only the 2nd SSID fails to display, the 1st one still has spaces and displays fine. And this is not the MSDOS era of 8.3 names anymore.

Please keep in mind that everyone on these forums is trying to help, and in many cases the advice and firmware is offered free of charge.

Last edited:
It is also not the era of perfect software yet. Nor is there any important reason to have spaces in the SSIDs (visible names) of a wireless network. And there are dozens of places in the software stacks of dozens of networking modules, where having spaces in SSIDs makes your system unnecessarily vulnerable to problems caused by imperfect programming.

Consider how similar two identifiers appear when presented on a typical computer screen, when one is spelled "logon user name" and the other is spelled "logon user name" (second identifier here having more spaces in it). Those are "high risk identifiers".

Also Charlie2alpha, did you notice RMerlin ADVISING someone to remove spaces in identifiers, in this very thread? see http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=21483&page=15

Nobody is recommending you avoid spaces in SSIDs "just to hassle you".

Last edited:
Looks like the traditional QOS bug is still there. Re-enabled my QOS rules though the UI rebooted there router and everything looked good. All the TC and Mangle rules were in place. Within 10 seconds of displaying the traffic monitor, bang, all the TC and Mangle rules disappeared.

I just wish ASUS would respond to the defect I sent them using their web site. It's been dead air with them.

Let's just agree that we disagree on this matter, I did not accuse Merlin or anyone here but I'm also free to choose if I'll use spaces on my SSID since there's no spec that disallows it and I never had any problem with it before either. The only problem I have is only a cosmetic display issue and I do not consider it enough to change a number of devices to a new ID just for that.

I am moving the RT-AC87U 376.49 and 376.49_2 builds to the Beta folder for now while I try to investigate two reports of boot loops occuring on this particular model.

If you did flash and encountered the issue, then please put your router into Factory Recovery mode (by booting with the reset button pressed), and reflash 376.48.

So far I can't reproduce the issue on my own AC87U, so I don't know yet the cause of it.

Yeah, it happens on mine as well. so I guess that makes it three reports. I didn't reset the router to factory setting before upgrading to 376.49_2.

Hope you can fix it soon, I'm happy to help with testing/logs.

Cheers,

Dragster

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!