What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.10 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you still have AX88U main + 2x AC86U nodes?

If yes - there is nothing to update for you here. Keep the nodes on stock Asuswrt and update your main router to 388.2 when available.
Can you tell me why the AP nodes need to be in stock firmware and not Merlin? For that matter, I remember people saying that a Mesh node needs to be in stock firmware as well, but I never understood/seen a "why" it needs to be in stock mode. Thanks.

You got it wrong, buddy. What @dave14305 is talking about is a very common mistake due to similar model numbers. :confused:
I do get the answer assuming maybe it's a wrong model firmware I've downloaded. I would have felt embarrassed if I did so and still mention it here.

As I've mentioned on my first post, I've downloaded the firmware twice and in two different stations. I have had anti-virus software causing annoying issues, but that's on me. I have tested the files for possible corruptions and even thought it might be a naming issue that the router may not like..? But it continues ro come with the same unsupported message for some reason I don't understand.

So reading through the posts on thos forum topic, do I have to perform a NVRAM clean? Or is there something I'm missing? Because 386.9 updated smoothly.

As I've mentioned on my first post

You forgot to mentioned what router model you have. I had to look at your previous posts to find what eventually the model is.

So reading through the posts on thos forum topic, do I have to perform a NVRAM clean? Or is there something I'm missing?

The router with NVRAM issue is RT-AC68U. Your router is RT-AC86U. Do you see better now what @dave14305 was talking about?

I remember people saying that a Mesh node needs to be in stock firmware as well, but I never understood/seen

We had a very recent (from today) conversation about this here, and in 3 more places in last 10 days only. It's one of the workarounds for people having AiMesh issues when the main router is running Asuswrt-Merlin. For your router in AP Mode - it doesn't matter what firmware you use. There is no routing on an AP (it's just a wired-to-wireless bridge + switch) and there is nothing much to use from extra Asuswrt-Merlin features.

I dont think I'm that dumb to be downloading for a different model
Less than a week ago I received an email from a user asking why the file ended in .w instead of .trx. Turns out he downloaded the RT-AX68U instead of RT-AC68U.

He wasn`t an idiot, he just misread the model name on the webpage. It happens more often than you might think.

You forgot to mentioned what router model you have. I had to look at your previous posts to find what eventually the model is.

The router with NVRAM issue is RT-AC68U. Your router is RT-AC86U. Do you see better now what @dave14305 was talking about?

We had a very recent (from today) conversation about this here, and in 3 more places in last 10 days only. It's one of the workarounds for people having AiMesh issues when the main router is running Asuswrt-Merlin. For your router in AP Mode - it doesn't matter what firmware you use. There is no routing on an AP (it's just a wired-to-wireless bridge + switch) and there is nothing much to use from extra Asuswrt-Merlin features.
Thanks for the AIMesh information, I'll have to go through those posts more thoroughly. I have had no issues till 386.10 and only a AC86U node in AP. All the more strange for me. But I'm more interested in this AIMesh issue because of 388.1 on my AX88U unit. But thanks for the info and ideas.

As for the NVRAM issue, I didn't pay attention to it only being a AC68U problem. I figured maybe it's a problem, but can be on different models as well (family devices). I didn't mention my router model on my first post and that's my mistake, but it'll be careless of me downloading a wrong model and then bothering everyone's time with it. But if you insist, then my fault it is. I won't argue of it. I need help and looking for information to resolve them. Thanks.

I need help and looking for information to resolve them.

This is what we offered. No one had the slightest intention to offend you.

Did you resolve the firmware update issue? Information on what the issue was may help someone else.

Less than a week ago I received an email from a user asking why the file ended in .w instead of .trx. Turns out he downloaded the RT-AX68U instead of RT-AC68U.

He wasn`t an idiot, he just misread the model name on the webpage. It happens more often than you might think.
Hmm.. I downloaded the AC86U with over 2700+ times downloaded and I have the .w file. I went back to check older files with the same .w. Did I really screw up? Or I'm understanding your comment wrong? I triple checked it too

Meanwhile, I had a side question for you @RMerlin, if you don't mind. I remembered you mention a VLAN capability on the AX88U Pro, is this like a new separate setting available? Because I'm wondering if I can say set one of the LAN port into a Vlan with the say, separate wlan. Thanks

Happened with mine as well, the 5300 node upgraded from the beta was fine, the 5300 router (also upgraded from the beta) lost it's config. Got to start from scratch in the AM, going to WPS reset it and move on from there... Since it was reunning scribe, will see if anything remains to see if I can identify the cause...
One word, Bricked!
Off to rescue mode, that's be a AM activity. Not sure why, the AC5300 mesh node went flawlessly, but I'll give it a once over as well...

Guessing I'll use ASUS firmware, before putting 386.10 back on and staring from scratch.
Never tried, or remember trying rescue mode with Merlin Firmware. Guessing that'll work as well, I'll know tomorrow...

Hmm.. I downloaded the AC86U with over 2700+ times downloaded and I have the .w file. I went back to check older files with the same .w. Did I really screw up? Or I'm understanding your comment wrong? I triple checked it too
The RT-AC68U is an older model with a .trx file. The RT-AC86U uses the newer UBI format, resulting in a .w file. So if your model is an RT-AC86U, then you are fine.

I was just giving an example of a user who accidentally mixed up the RT-AC68U and RT-AX68U just to show that we didn't meant to insult anyone by asking to double check the downloaded model, as I had seen it happen only a few days ago with another user.

I remembered you mention a VLAN capability on the AX88U Pro, is this like a new separate setting available? Because I'm wondering if I can say set one of the LAN port into a Vlan with the say, separate wlan. Thanks
Asus published an early beta of the forecoming 3.0.0.6 firmware series which, on these newer HND 5.04 models like the RT-AX86U_PRO, support user-configurable VLANs. This is just an early beta of their firmware however, and their final release is months away. Until Asus comes out of beta with this new code base, none of it will be available in Asuswrt-Merlin.

I updated from 386.9 and I'm getting the low NVRAM warning.

Is there anything here I can trim or is 2847 bytes left all ok? I am only running Diversion & uiDivStats.

I have never used the VPN function.

I would consider a factory reset if it's an issue.

size: 62689 bytes (2847 left)
931 nc_setting_conf
581 rc_support
401 custom_clientlist
396 oauth_dm_refresh_ticket
164 subnet_rulelist
124 vts_rulelist
120 qos_rulelist
112 vlan_rulelist
92 1:pa5ga2
92 1:pa5ga1
92 1:pa5ga0
89 vpn_server2_ncp_ciphers
89 vpn_server1_ncp_ciphers
89 vpn_client5_ncp_ciphers
89 vpn_client4_ncp_ciphers
89 vpn_client3_ncp_ciphers
89 vpn_client2_ncp_ciphers
89 vpn_client1_ncp_ciphers
88 vpn_server_ncp_ciphers
88 vpn_client_ncp_ciphers

TIA.

Merlin's commits indicate that there is no difference between beta 1 and the release version, so should be no difference in router performance.
I can only write what I experience and measure.

The RT-AC68U is an older model with a .trx file. The RT-AC86U uses the newer UBI format, resulting in a .w file. So if your model is an RT-AC86U, then you are fine.

I was just giving an example of a user who accidentally mixed up the RT-AC68U and RT-AX68U just to show that we didn't meant to insult anyone by asking to double check the downloaded model, as I had seen it happen only a few days ago with another user.

Asus published an early beta of the forecoming 3.0.0.6 firmware series which, on these newer HND 5.04 models like the RT-AX86U_PRO, support user-configurable VLANs. This is just an early beta of their firmware however, and their final release is months away. Until Asus comes out of beta with this new code base, none of it will be available in Asuswrt-Merlin.
@RMerlin, thanks for the quick reply and clarifications. Much appreciated.

Greetings!
After upgrading to version 386.10 (with all the related Resets before and after Firmware installation) I noticed that QoS - WAN / LAN Bandwidth Monitor if "App Analysis" is not activated, it does not monitor anything. I don't see any movement. It's a normal thing? I never turned on "App Analysis" and the Bandwidth Monitor worked great with other Firmwares.
Have a nice day!
Thank you!

I updated from 386.9 and I'm getting the low NVRAM warning.

Is there anything here I can trim or is 2847 bytes left all ok? I am only running Diversion & uiDivStats.
There are a number of posts by users who are getting the low NVRAM warning when moving to the recent 386.9 and 386.10 firmware. See post #9 for various suggestions on how to deal with it. From doing a hard factory reset to running scripts to clean out certain unused NVRAM values that may be taking up space to using YazDHCP. One may have to run those two scripts mentioned in post #9 each time after a router reboot/power on. There is a bit more additional discussion on NVRAM starting with post #24.

I noticed that QoS - WAN / LAN Bandwidth Monitor if "App Analysis" is not activated, it does not monitor anything.
Another user reported the same issue (possible bug) in post #36.

There are a number of posts by users who are getting the low NVRAM warning when moving to the recent 386.9 and 386.10 firmware. See post #9 for various suggestions on how to deal with it. From doing a hard factory reset to running scripts to clean out certain unused NVRAM values that may be taking up space to using YazDHCP. One may have to run those two scripts mentioned in post #9 each time after a router reboot/power on. There is a bit more additional discussion on NVRAM starting with post #24.
Thank you.

I did read through some older threads but wasn't too sure about running the scripts on this latest firmware version.

NVRAM now sits at 51377 / 65536 bytes

I'm happy with that, I'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!